Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: About that 'Blockbusters' 20 win rule...  (Read 5647 times)

Ian Wallis

About that 'Blockbusters' 20 win rule...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2003, 09:47:08 AM »
When then NBC exec. in charge of game shows Jake Tauber brought back "Blockbusters" in 1987, he was quoted in "Broadcasting" that the original "probably shouldn't have been cancelled" in 1982.

This brings to mind an interesting question:  how many Goodson-Todman games were cancelled before their time?  

We've mentioned "Blockbusters", and earlier on I believe it was mentioned that "Now You See It" was still getting decent ratings when it was cancelled in 1975.

Are there any others?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 10:33:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 09:47 AM\']
When then NBC exec. in charge of game shows Jake Tauber brought back "Blockbusters" in 1987, he was quoted in "Broadcasting" that the original "probably shouldn't have been cancelled" in 1982.

This brings to mind an interesting question:  how many Goodson-Todman games were cancelled before their time?  

[/quote]
 Perry CS, CBS MG7x(Gene thought the show would have lasted a bit longer on the network if not for the brief move to 11AM EST in late 1977-early 1978), Password Plus, and MGHS hour are a few that pop to mind.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2003, 12:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Dec 22 2003, 07:40 AM\'] Have you played "Settlers of Catan/Siedler von Catan"?  Now THERE'S an addictive game.  Worth getting if you like the German type strategy games.
 [/quote]
 Asking a German gamer if they've ever played Settlers is like asking a game-show nut if they've ever seen The Price is Right. :)

That said, I'm "enh" about it...it was the first German game I got (along with Carcassonne, which I LOVE), and it's a very good game, but now that I get exposed to other ones regularly (I play in a couple of groups), I find there are games I like more.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2003, 02:42:30 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 07:53 PM\'] [quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 21 2003, 11:59 AM\'] Maybe Blockbusters was cancelled, because viewers found it to be a weak game to begin with. [/quote]
I doubt that.  Much more likely that NBC's let's air game shows / no, lets air Letterman / no, let's air games again / hey, what about soaps? / etc. schizophrenia during that period is to blame.

I thnk the weekend reruns show a quite interesting game, my only complaint being that Cullen occasionally spent way too much time in contestant intros and pleasantries.  The original run was almost 2 years with no changes in gameplay that I can think of, which I think speaks for itself. [/quote]
 Not only no changes (except those noted), but never a sweeps event!  No tournament, no celebrity editions, no "Kids' week," ...

I wish other shows that raised their limits had invited retired players back.  When The $25,000 Pyramid returned in 1982, contestants had to leave once they won $25K in any combination.  Later, they raised the limit to $50K.  Think of all the people who won $25K in their first--and, by rule, only--appearance!  And there was an interesting thread on J!'s message board when retired 5-time champions spoke about the end of the 5-game rule there.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.