Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle Toying With Reviving What's My Line? with Whoopi Goldber  (Read 11039 times)

calliaume

Fremantle Toying With Reviving What's My Line? with Whoopi Goldber
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »

I\'d watch it for awhile.

Side question:  does Fremantle even own the rights to What\'s My Line anymore?  I thought they sold off the rights (along with IGAS, which is why it\'s been brought back with a couple of different production companies) around 1955 or so.

Adam Nedeff

Fremantle Toying With Reviving What's My Line? with Whoopi Goldber
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
Side question:  does Fremantle even own the rights to What\'s My Line anymore?  I thought they sold off the rights (along with IGAS, which is why it\'s been brought back with a couple of different production companies) around 1955 or so.

Gil Fates talks about that in his memoirs. At around 1955, CBS bought the show outright from Goodson-Todman and then commissioned them to continue producing it. In a really confusing business deal--which Ira Skutch explains in his memoirs and even then I still didn\'t get it--Garry Moore somehow became the owner of WML? around the time that the CBS version came to an end. Shortly before he retired, Garry Moore sold all of his assets to a conglomerate, and Fates noted that at the time of his writing, What\'s My Line? was owned by Dannon Yogurt. My own totally unresearched guess is that the rights to the show went back to Goodson at some point in the 1980s--I\'ve seen a 1987 interview where he mentions that a new version is one of the projects that his company is working on--and if that\'s the case, that would logically put it in Fremantle\'s hands today.