Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC picks up new GS...  (Read 4236 times)

weaklink75

ABC picks up new GS...
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:19:11 AM »

Called \"Bet on Your Baby\"...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/abc-orders-bet-on-your-baby-game-show-for-parents-hosted-by-melissa-peterman/

Could be interesting- the babies won\'t compete against each other (they play a round against the house, then the parents compete in a final round to win $50,000 for college for them)...and Melissa Peterman did OK with The SInging Bee..

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
Called \"Bet on Your Baby\"...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/abc-orders-bet-on-your-baby-game-show-for-parents-hosted-by-melissa-peterman/

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ but that is an absolutely horrible idea, on a level with the family that nominated their kid to play Supercoin. Is the excuse that the kids are gonna be too young to remember the experience?

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »

Didn\'t Fred Travelina host a show called Baby Races?. IIRC, Gene Wood was the announcer. I saw ten minutes of it. That was enough.

BrandonFG

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »
Didn\'t Fred Travelina host a show called Baby Races?. IIRC, Gene Wood was the announcer. I saw ten minutes of it. That was enough.

Yes, on the Family Channel. Aired Sunday evenings after That\'s My Dog, and like you, I remember it being pretty corny.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ but that is an absolutely horrible idea, on a level with the family that nominated their kid to play Supercoin. Is the excuse that the kids are gonna be too young to remember the experience?
I don\'t remember what game show it is in the Encyclopedia, but there\'s one where the kids would play a game, and the parents had to guess if the kid would cheat by some way, or predicting how successful the kid would be. So that part doesn\'t bother me. The other thing is that the kind of parents who would go on a show like Wife Swap or what have you probably aren\'t making great decisions and that going on TV is just a mirror of behavior and not causation of anything. And I thought that the Minute to Win it family episode was handled appropriately (the kids weren\'t risking anything on that last game) and all four of the team members got to play because they piled up so many extra lives.

I\'m fond of \"Wait until you see it,\" and there\'s so few details that I\'m content to follow that advice.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »
but there\'s one where the kids would play a game, and the parents had to guess if the kid would cheat by some way, or predicting how successful the kid would be. So that part doesn\'t bother me.

Here\'s my exact problem with that: even if all the parents are doing is guessing which side of the crib the kid will crawl to first, and there\'s no actual direct success or failure on the kid\'s part, let\'s flash forward fifteen years:

Teen: \"Hey, whatcha looking at, Mom?\"

Mom: \"Oh, these are the pictures we took when we took you on that game show fifteen years ago.\"

T: \"Wow, I don\'t even remember that, I was so little! Did we win?\"

M: \"No, we could have won $50,000, but we guessed you were going to crawl to the red side of the crib and instead you crawled to the blue one.\"

And there\'s no really good way to have that conversation that doesn\'t leave the kid feeling like he had a hand in the failure while he was still crapping in a diaper.

Mind you, I\'m not accusing any potential contestants of malicious behavior (though I have not one doubt we\'ll see at least one of those), I think a family is just being rather shortsighted if they agree to do this.

And I thought that the Minute to Win it family episode was handled appropriately (the kids weren\'t risking anything on that last game) and all four of the team members got to play because they piled up so many extra lives.

This part I was not aware of (that everyone had a punt) and that might mitigate it a little, but I still think it was irresponsible parenting to stick a quarter in a kid\'s hand and say \"Alright, this is for a million dollars!\"

I\'m fond of \"Wait until you see it,\" and there\'s so few details that I\'m content to follow that advice.

Outstanding. I eagerly await your review.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:40:39 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

weaklink75

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:25:03 PM »

I was actually in the audience for an episode taping (they taped at Walt Disney World and we were down there for my school\'s Senior Trip)...Gene was great, Fred wasn\'t...

colonial

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:42:12 AM »

The show will air on Saturday nights, meaning the \"Cancellation Bear\" has already devoured it....

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/02/13/abc-slates-bet-on-your-baby-troupe-stars-for-saturday-nights-863211/10203/

JD

weaklink75

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »

I\'m really puzzled by that move- I\'m guessing its so cheap to produce and there\'s nothing on Saturdays anyway, so why not take a shot on it?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
\"Cancellation Bear\" 

Is this a thing?

This signature is currently under construction.

colonial

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:19 PM »

It\'s an in-joke at tvbythenumbers.com -- the site went bananas last week over an apparent \"bear sighting\" on ABC\'s \"Suburgatory,\" so perhaps the Alphabet is returning the favor... :)

JD

That Don Guy

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 02:51:27 PM »

I don\'t remember what game show it is in the Encyclopedia, but there\'s one where the kids would play a game, and the parents had to guess if the kid would cheat by some way, or predicting how successful the kid would be.

Sounds like The Baby Game (which always started with a race among three crawling babies).

I was about to comment that they had a \"rare\" rule that had both couples come back the next day if they ended up tied, but then realized it\'s not as rare as I thought, although the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Jeopardy!, Press Your Luck, and The Moneymaze (if both couples ran the $10,000 Dash and tied, but didn\'t win the $10,000, they both came back).

rjaguar3

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »

I don\'t remember what game show it is in the Encyclopedia, but there\'s one where the kids would play a game, and the parents had to guess if the kid would cheat by some way, or predicting how successful the kid would be.

Sounds like The Baby Game (which always started with a race among three crawling babies).

I was about to comment that they had a \"rare\" rule that had both couples come back the next day if they ended up tied, but then realized it\'s not as rare as I thought, although the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Jeopardy!, Press Your Luck, and The Moneymaze (if both couples ran the $10,000 Dash and tied, but didn\'t win the $10,000, they both came back).

From what I gather from CBI\'s records, at least in the early days of GE College Bowl, tying teams would both return for the following episode; cf. episode 5 (2/8/59) and episode 6 (2/15/59) [Georgetown and Princeton tied 115-115; the following week, Georgetown won 215-70].  There are also two consecutive episodes in 1968 (336 and 337) on the list in which Brandeis faced Chicago; Brandeis also uncharacteristically appears in six consecutive games that season, according to the records.

That Don Guy

ABC picks up new GS...
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »

From what I gather from CBI\'s records, at least in the early days of GE College Bowl, tying teams would both return for the following episode; cf. episode 5 (2/8/59) and episode 6 (2/15/59) [Georgetown and Princeton tied 115-115; the following week, Georgetown won 215-70].  There are also two consecutive episodes in 1968 (336 and 337) on the list in which Brandeis faced Chicago; Brandeis also uncharacteristically appears in six consecutive games that season, according to the records.

There were two ties in the TV history of College Bowl.  The first time, both teams came back; the second, they asked toss-up questions until the tie was broken (either by a correct answer or a 5-point penalty).  The College Bowl website has a list of most, if not all, of the CBS/NBC TV games, and the first Chicago-Brandeis game (4/28/1968) has no score; I remember reading in a College Bowl book once that the match was declared \"no contest\" for some reason and replayed the following week.