Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mid 70s TPIR audio effect?  (Read 2301 times)

Argo

Mid 70s TPIR audio effect?
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »

Hi there,

I don\'t really know how to explain this, but it seemed to be most noticeable during the mid-late 70s on TPIR and most likely other shows that came from Studio 33. The rumbling audio that you could hear in the music. It was almost a shaking phasing effect almost. I think it sounded pretty neat. Just wondering if anyone knew how it was done, or was it just the effect of the microphones picking up the music? Also, anyway to replicate that in software? Used to like hearing the Come on Down music and the main theme when it had that effect.

If anyone can explain this better, please do.

Thanks,

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:35 AM »
Tape warble from poorly degaussed cartridges?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:57:48 PM »

I have noticed that some of the bass notes in various TPIR music cues would hit 33\'s resonant frequency when being played back over P.A. and thus sounded \"boomy\" -- not an effect exactly.This was particularly noticeable when they played the Pink Panther theme for Safe Crackers.

Argo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »

I think that\'s the sound i may be talking about. I really noticed it during the opening. For years I thought it was the style of the original version of Walking used from 1976-1980, but I heard it years later on the UK version in 1989 and it didnt have the same resonance.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »
I have noticed that some of the bass notes in various TPIR music cues would hit 33\'s resonant frequency when being played back over P.A. 

No wonder the show\'s been on for 40 years.  It\'s been able to resonate so well. ;)

Seriously, though, I\'m kind of impressed, given the size of the room.

This signature is currently under construction.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »

I think that is called monitor feedback.  You\'re right, the mics are picking up the music off of the speakers and it causes that effect.  I\'ve noticed the same thing quite often on CBS shows of that era myself.  And not just in Studio 33, I thought I heard it on Tattletales also (31).