Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Chase contestant search  (Read 6816 times)

Matt Ottinger

The Chase contestant search
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »

Of course, nobody calls it \"contestant search\" anymore.  Now it\'s \"casting\".

http://www.chasecasting.com/

For a show that\'s only got an eight-episode commitment, they seem to be going all-out.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

Darn, if I didn\'t have a Jeopardy! audition in KC, I would go to the Chicago one.

Good to see GSN taking tryouts outside of LA, though.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
I love how the casting website links to an illegally uploaded episode of the show.  Runs dangerously close to endorsing the upload, doesn\'t it?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »

I definitely have to look up the New York one.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

So, forgive me, but wasn\'t one of the gimmicks of The Chase that The Chasers were well-known \"career\" quiz show contestants from the UK?

If Mark Labett is involved, why is anyone in the US going to care if they have no idea who he is?

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoItRockapella

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
So, forgive me, but wasn\'t one of the gimmicks of The Chase that The Chasers were well-known \"career\" quiz show contestants from the UK?

If Mark Labett is involved, why is anyone in the US going to care if they have no idea who he is?

Look at it this way: would you really rather it be Ken Jennings? He\'s the only \"career quiz show contestant\" Americans know, and I certainly hope I\'m not the only one who\'s sick of him. 

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:59 PM »
Look at it this way: would you really rather it be Ken Jennings? He\'s the only \"career quiz show contestant\" Americans know, and I certainly hope I\'m not the only one who\'s sick of him. 

I personally don\'t care. I\'m just wondering how they are going to reconcile that fairly critical part of the gimmick.

trainman

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
I love how the casting website links to an illegally uploaded episode of the show. Runs dangerously close to endorsing the upload, doesn\'t it?

Before I tried out for a \"The Chase\" pilot about a year ago, the casting office sent us a link to, yes, a not-officially-uploaded UK episode on YouTube.
trainman is a man of trains

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:31:55 PM »

I personally don\'t care. I\'m just wondering how they are going to reconcile that fairly critical part of the gimmick.

I\'m not seeing that gimmick as being particularly critical.  You\'re going to play against somebody from the house, and our house team is really good.  I just don\'t think it matters that much whether we\'ve heard of them before.  Much like the Gladiators.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:37:14 AM »
I\'m not seeing that gimmick as being particularly critical.  You\'re going to play against somebody from the house, and our house team is really good.  I just don\'t think it matters that much whether we\'ve heard of them before.  Much like the Gladiators.

Yeah, I can see them doing it that way. I wasn\'t sure if the UK version played up the \"well-known champion\" angle.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 01:44:28 AM »
Yeah, I can see them doing it that way. I wasn\'t sure if the UK version played up the \"well-known champion\" angle.
More the personalities of each than their particular wins, which is helpful because I don\'t recall a single thing that the fourth guy did at all, while Mark, Anne and Shaun have a slew of more memorable victories.

/Though Anne did get thrashed in the 2010 final of Brain of Britain.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »
I really think you guys will like the quality of the contestants. I had previously mentioned traveling to one of the GSN execs a while back for a different revival they were going to work on (a quizzer, too). Reaching out of L.A. for contestants worked out so well for Bible Challenge and should work for The Chase in the next couple weeks. Edit: Also, even though at my blog I threw down the church-based dating show \'It Takes a Church\'. it may work with the bible audience. Remember, Bible Challenge\'s audience is not fully GSN\'s audience, so why should they be wasted airtime with shows that the bible audience doesn\'t care about.

Why are so so obsessed over Bible Challenge?

-Joe Raygor