Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bet On Your Baby  (Read 1578 times)

brianhenke

Bet On Your Baby
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »

Did any one watch the premiere of Bet On Your Baby on ABC last night?

I feel that the show might be exploitative for young children. The $5,000 for a college education sounded cheap. When they grow up and go to college, $5K might be a drop in the proverbial bucket.

The Wal-Mart promotion sounded like something right out of Temptation: The New $ale of the Century or the recent Australian TPIR.

Brian

The leaves start to change color in May?

WilliamPorygon

Bet On Your Baby
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »

I caught the premiere episodes.  Not the worst show ever, but it\'s pretty bad, especially since some parents are indeed betting their kids will fail.  The games themselves aren\'t interesting.  The only decent part of the show is when they rip off NBC and have the parents try to solve an obscured rebus.  The final round with the piggy banks is just the TPIR punchboard dragged out for a painfully long time and has nothing to do with the kids at all. 

Also, the Luvs sponsorship all over the place doesn\'t surprise me, given how crappy the show and its premise is.  But hey, at least they refrained from having a \"who can poop the most\" competition.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bet On Your Baby
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
especially since some parents are indeed betting their kids will fail.

That you don\'t understand that betting on their success is *just as bad* in the long run pretty much says it all.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Bet On Your Baby
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
I feel that the show might be exploitative for young children. The $5,000 for a college education sounded cheap. When they grow up and go to college, $5K might be a drop in the proverbial bucket.

Brian Henke. Social Commentator.

-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Bet On Your Baby
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 01:37:37 AM »
I didn\'t have nearly as much problem with the play-in round as others have, since I think the kind of parents who would blame their kid for doing it wrong on a game show years later are lousy parents anyway. (If you\'re of a mind, note that parents and kids would run the Double Dare Obstacle Course for over $20,000 in stuff and that was twenty years ago.)

Aside from that, the big problem I had was the dearth of content. The one thing they could have done to make it interesting is not reveal the sub-$50,000 prizes in the cash round.

Happily I don\'t think this will make enough footprint that sociology papers will be written about the participants.
Travis L. Eberle