Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The Price is Right Live!" question  (Read 3319 times)

dmota104

"The Price is Right Live!" question
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »

First, great to see this board back up and running.

Sorry if this has been addressed previously.  But, if you win an item up for bid on -- or at least are called to \"come on down\" from the audience of -- \"The Price is Right Live!\", the touring stage show likely hosted by Todd Newton, does that disqualify you from being a contestant on CBS\' \"The Price is Right\"?

TPiR Live! is going to be in Philadelphia, Mississippi (about an hour and a half north of home in Hattiesburg).  So I\'ve been debating with myself on whether or not to check this out.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:14:26 PM by dmota104 »

chad1m

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

Nope. The two entities are completely separate.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:14:50 PM by chad1m »

dmota104

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:19 PM »

Thanks for the response.  Another question.  Here\'s a portion of a review I read.  It points out the following rule changes...

1) New contestant rows before each game (4 new bidders each time).

2) Only one Big Wheel with 3 random contestants competing for $250 ($100 for $1 spin).

3) Cash prizes are less (think hundreds rather than thousands).

4) 2 new random contestants for the showcase. Both bid on a single showcase.

5) You only get the car in the showcase if you guess within $150 of the price.

...having seen clips and interviews with Todd, I can vouch for the low stakes pointed out in #2 and #3.    If #5\'s true, it\'s only fair given the budget (as 2 and 3 indicate).

But #1 and #4, if true, *might* be deal breakers.  Are #1 and #4 true? 

I don\'t want to play any game of TPiR if it violates the rules of advancement (audience to contestants\' row to stage to big wheel to showcase) that I grew up with -- *unless* they played it TNPiR94 style (which wasn\'t too bad a departure from the norm).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
Why are they deal breakers? You\'re not seeing an episode of TPIR, you\'re seeing the stage show. They\'re able to get more contestants to play that way.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
Are #1 and #4 true? 

#1 definitely is, for the purposes of getting as many people to play as possible. #4 used to be until they switch to a 10 Chances single-player showcase starting this year. When I was with BuzzerBlog, I wrote a review based on the show I went to in February that should accurately reflect how the touring show works presently.

(For anyone curious, it looks like on this current leg of the tour that Pat Finn is doing hosting duties when Todd is unavailable.)

dmota104

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
Why are they deal breakers? You\'re not seeing an episode of TPIR, you\'re seeing the stage show. They\'re able to get more contestants to play that way.

Good that that\'s more player involvement, Chad and Trav.  But that\'s not the show I grew up with -- hence the possible deal breaker.

Still thinking about.

Bobby B.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »

Good that that\'s more player involvement, Chad and Trav.  But that\'s not the show I grew up with -- hence the possible deal breaker.

Still thinking about.

Just look at it this way:  It gives you a better chance of being called down.  I didn\'t think I would like it either, but when I went to the show it really added to the anticipation every time they called people.  It\'s still, of course, a long shot to be actually called down, but every little bit helps.

Chad, that new Showcase sounds awesome.  I didn\'t really like the way they were doing it before.  At the show I went to, I cheered along with the crowd when the new car was announced, but I knew it probably wouldn\'t be won (and it wasn\'t).  Plus, the writing of bids caused a small controversy when one of the contestants meant to bid $25,000 but accidentally wrote $2500.  They had to take the bid he wrote.  Even though it worked to his advantage (the other contestant overbid), the whole situation felt a little awkward.  The Ten Chances Showcase sounds perfect for the live show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
But that\'s not the show I grew up with -- hence the possible deal breaker.

Seriously? That\'s a dealbreaker for you? Dude.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 11:44:11 AM »

Hate to break this to you then -- Bob Barker won\'t be there either.

Really, if you\'re even contemplating not going because the experience won\'t be exactly like what you see on TV...don\'t go.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »

It must have been a hit in Michigan, because they\'re coming back to the Saginaw area (albeit at a different venue) very soon.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
All the more reason to stay home: leave that seat for someone who would enjoy herself at the show. It is a stage show and not a carbon copy of the television show.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:10:14 PM »

The stage show has a plus: it still has the legacy music cues from Score/Kalehoff. Andy hasn\'t gotten around to replacing the old music with the awful stuff they use on the TV show, thankfully.

Drew won\'t be there, either.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:12:34 PM by chris319 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 02:37:29 PM »
The stage show has a plus: it still has the legacy music cues from Score/Kalehoff. Andy hasn\'t gotten around to replacing the old music with the awful stuff they use on the TV show, thankfully.

Drew won\'t be there, either.

If one of your reasons to go is to listen to music cues- well, it\'s your money, I suppose. 

The tour dates on the site now go through June 9, and they\'re stopping in the Chicagoland area on a day when I actually have to do stuff. Bummer.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:39:11 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »

There was one in my area a couple of months ago (I think Jerry Springer was the host), but the $40 price tag for tickets was a bit too steep, and it was still a 45 minute drive. Will try a little harder if/when the next one comes to the area...

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
 Bob Barker won\'t be there either.

Sounds like that\'s more incentive to attend. Todd Newton and Pat Finn are better fathers to me than Bob Barker ever was. Peace and blessings, everyone!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:48:12 PM by Don Howard »