Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: An idea for a WWTBAM? special edition week...  (Read 5607 times)

Kevin Prather

An idea for a WWTBAM? special edition week...
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 06:28:56 PM »
They must have made the questions easier for the show. I really can't see a kid getting that far without using his lifelines.

Jay Temple

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 12:06:24 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 11:44 AM\'] What's the difference between deciding to answer a question on WWTBAM and J!? In both instances, your decision to answer a question may cost you money. No one to my knowledge ever had a problem with kids playing J!.  So, I don't see the problem. [/quote]
 No child on J! has had a decision that potentially had $468,000 riding on it.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2003, 05:55:35 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 06:20 PM\'] I wonder if what Hubert Urbankski was saying ("Aleck" sp?) ment "Sorry". [/quote]
 It sounded to me like "Olly." I assume that was the kid's name.

HSquares2003

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 10:12:24 PM »
Scaled down version would work, and gear the questions towards their age. The last few Teen and the Kids Week(especially) have been easier than the regular shows IMHO.

For example dont use this question:

What was the first black and white game show on tv?

Better question:

Which state does not border any other state(Alaska)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2003, 10:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 12:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Dec 23 2003, 11:44 AM\'] What's the difference between deciding to answer a question on WWTBAM and J!? In both instances, your decision to answer a question may cost you money. No one to my knowledge ever had a problem with kids playing J!.  So, I don't see the problem. [/quote]
No child on J! has had a decision that potentially had $468,000 riding on it. [/quote]
 Missing that question would have the same effect as being the one who fumbled the football in the last seconds of the last game in your senior year of high school resulting in the team losing by a touchdown. A lifetime of shame.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Starkman

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2003, 05:40:55 PM »
Being the kids game show apologist on this board, ill bite on this and say its not too bad an idea. I believe the most ever offered on a kids game show was a 25k scholarship on Pick Your Brain, for special kids weeks im sure it was the 32k on CS YPWs, I believe a good smart kid can and should be challenged to win a large amount. With some precautions

I think that it could be a good idea if done right, I think the kids can take it if they are handled correctly, and without too much cheapening.

1. Like what Eubanks CS did for the YPWs make all winnings up to a certain point go to the kids, the rest go into an annunity when they turn 18. Actually I would make the payouts go like this.

up to 8k, everything goes to the kid.

16-64k 2500 goes to kid rest CD annuity like CS.

125 K level is replaced with a full ride scholarship + 20k Annuity + 5k to the kid.

As the levels go up the amount to the kid is upped to 10k and the full ride stay constant while the ammount in the annuity keeps skyrocketing to the desired level.

2. Phone A Friend is split into an option the traditional phone a friend must be a kid under 18, but also they can bring their parents out as one lifeline to give their advice on a question. So a kid gets 4 lifelines instead of 3, techancally, but can only use 3.

3. Gaurenteed payout of $100 on the first level (aka no leaving with nothing, just the lowest possible payout)

4. The gaurentee points are scaled differently, 1st gaurentee point is at 2k, next at 16k and the 3rd after the full ride is won at 125k to make the fall less steep, but still challenging.

5. Categories are revealed before the question is asked (a la greed) to make the kid's decision to go or not easier.

6. Should the kid enter the final question with any lifelines intact they are automatically used.

7. Easier on the dramatics on a reveal from the host, no hanging the kid out to dry after a final answer is given.

My 2c...Flame on!

zachhoran

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2003, 07:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 05:40 PM\'] Being the kids game show apologist on this board, ill bite on this and say its not too bad an idea. I believe the most ever offered on a kids game show was a 25k scholarship on Pick Your Brain, for special kids weeks im sure it was the 32k on CS YPWs, [/quote]
 Pick Your Brain had only a $5K scholarship for winning the main game, which made the bonus round for a prize worth at most $1500 anticlimactic.

The most I can recall being offered on a kids' game show was during the Perry CS Young PLayer's Weeks, where the two players competed in two matches before being retired, a player could potentially win $58,000(before maingame $500 bonuses were added) or $66,000(with $500 exact predictions and $500 for running the cards bonuses added). The most won by one player was $22,400 in Xmas 1980.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 08:22:56 PM »
Dick Clark's "America's Smartest Kid" offered a $500,000 prize.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 10:04:30 PM »
whoserman Posted on Dec 27 2003, 08:22 PM
Dick Clark's "America's Smartest Kid" offered a $500,000 prize.

Not quite.  For the first episode, the prizes were: $300,000 to the eventual winner, $100,000 to second place, $50,000 to third, and various prizes for each stage completeed.  But for crying out loud, $300,000.  That's a lot of money for anyone, let alone a kid.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2003, 10:06:50 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 07:22 PM\'] Dick Clark's "America's Smartest Kid" offered a $500,000 prize. [/quote]
 I thought the actual title was "Battle Of The Child Geniuses-The Smartest Kid In America."

Anyway, I went to Travis's page about the show, and it says the winner gets a trust fund worth $300,000; not $500,000. The runner-up wins a $100,000 trust fund. This was back in May 2000.

In November 2000, the prizes changed. Winner got a $150,000 trust fund, the runner-up got a $75,000 trust fund.

trainman

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 12:17:11 AM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 07:12 PM\'] Which state does not border any other state(Alaska) [/quote]
 Also Hawaii.
trainman is a man of trains

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 01:01:24 AM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 10:12 PM\'] Scaled down version would work, and gear the questions towards their age. The last few Teen and the Kids Week(especially) have been easier than the regular shows IMHO.

For example dont use this question:

What was the first black and white game show on tv?

Better question:

Which state does not border any other state(Alaska) [/quote]
I think you are both undermining and insulting a child's intellegence.  I think its an aberration.  You are insinuating the popular belief that children don't care about the past.

How untrue.  In fact, I get this feeling that with geography scores as low as they are; more kids might know the gameshow question.

Anyhow, I don't see why you would need to "baby" down the show as much as some of you are suggesting.  I do agree with putting into a trust after $32,000; but above that; the format needs to stay true to the original.  (IMHO, the changes that Starkman suggested stray from the format, and would lead to confusion.  Why give an automatic $100?  Kids who lost on other shows were stuck with Nestle Quik...)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 01:03:19 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Starkman

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 07:10:29 AM »
Fair criticism...the only things i would demand really is a higher gaurentee point than 32k, and the right to bring your parents onstage in leiu of phone a friend again this would be an option not an extra lifeline.

The others i see your arguement it does hack the format somewhat.

Ok, a whole lot.

And thanks for the PYB clarifcation, given that the last time i saw PYB i was a kid (well teenager) myself, im not suprised i wasnt quite right, forgot that endgame wasnt for the scholarship. As I said it was a good format for kids if it wasnt brought crashing to it's knees by too many fee plugs (2XL!!!!) and bad acting in the hit man like segments.

Never seen clark's smartest kid...intresting.