Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC greenlights 'Million Second Quiz'  (Read 4781 times)

colonial

NBC greenlights 'Million Second Quiz'
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »

Apparently scheduled to air in September (presumably before \"The Voice\" launches its fall premiere), the show will feature contestants answering trivia questions \"24 hours a day\" over 12 nights for a chance to win up to $10 million.

Episodes will be broadcast live from \"an hourglass-shaped structure in the heart of Manhattan.\"

I\'ll admit that when I played quizbowl in college, we used to joke about playing a \"24-hour tournament\" just because.  Didn\'t think such a concept would translate to television, but what do I know?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-orders-24-hour-live-444844

JD

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:26:24 AM »
Didn\'t think such a concept would translate to television, but what do I know?

No, I\'m pretty sure we are going to find out that you are 100% right.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 03:49:10 PM »
I\'ll admit that when I played quizbowl in college, we used to joke about playing a \"24-hour tournament\" just because. 

My ears are burning.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »

Let me get this straight. Players will go for twelve straight days answering questions non-stop, not even dinner breaks? The human body can only endure so much, and I see this competition ending way early, unless I\'m misunderstanding the format.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:18:36 PM by Kevin Prather »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:19:40 PM »

I think you misunderstand the format, but let\'s not forget that this is NBC.

England says What up, as well.

Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
I think you misunderstand the format, but let\'s not forget that this is NBC.

I hope so. It just seems to ridiculous, even for NBC. Now a 24-hour quiz I could see, but twelve days is too much.

doctorwho

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
[quote name=\"TLEberle\" post=\"308266\" timestamp=\"1366841980\"]I think you misunderstand the format, but let\'s not forget that this is NBC.http://ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Shattered" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">England says What up, as well.[/quote]

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/24_Hour_Quiz" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Doubly so.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »

I\'m sure they\'ll be provided pizza in between, and you just see the \"exciting\" parts on camera. For some reason, I can\'t help but think of Cram meets a David Blaine experiment...

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

colonial

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:33:09 AM »

This sounds like a quiz show equivalent of those \"Hands on a Hardbody\" contests at car dealerships, where attendees try to win a car by keeping at least one hand on the vehicle for the longest period.

I would presume that contestants would be given rest periods throughout the competition to eat, sleep, shower, etc. 

The \"24/7\" concept would be an excuse for NBC to show off their online capabilities, as well as promote the series throughout the Kabletown family of networks.   Cue \"Today\" dropping by the set several times throughout the competition.

JD

itiparanoid13

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 08:54:34 AM »

At last word the actual game content is just about as traditional as I\'ve heard in a while.  It\'s a bunch of 1 VS 1 battles, up to 10 questions.  Question has a starting value which goes up each new one.  After choices and question are read, the money ticks down.  Buzz in to freeze the money and answer.  If you\'re right you get it.  If you\'re wrong your opponent can steal.  Most money at the end of the bout wins.  The last dollar figures I heard, for the one-hour primetime bouts, has each win at around $30K to $40K.

BillCullen1

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:16 AM »

Since it will be in Manhattan, I\'ll stop by and see the hourglass and its contents in person. But really, how bad can NBC mess this up - oh, wait . . .

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
This sounds like a quiz show equivalent of those \"Hands on a Hardbody\" contests at car dealerships, where attendees try to win a car by keeping at least one hand on the vehicle for the longest period.

I would presume that contestants would be given rest periods throughout the competition to eat, sleep, shower, etc. 

The \"24/7\" concept would be an excuse for NBC to show off their online capabilities, as well as promote the series throughout the Kabletown family of networks.   Cue \"Today\" dropping by the set several times throughout the competition.

JD

And if NBC should feel they need a last minute replacement for a ratings-challenged show (if that was EVER to happen to the Peacock Network), you\'ve got your instant go-to show.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:26:22 PM by TimK2003 »

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »

I look forward to this.

weaklink75

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »

Here\'s some more explanation on how the show will work from NBC..

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/30/million-second-quiz-nbc/

(maybe it\'ll work better in practice than it does on paper- I\'m not feeling it just yet)

weaklink75

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Schedule announced- Monday September 9th to Thursday September 19th (except Sunday the 15th because of the SNF game)- 8pm to 9pm Eastern live each night except the finale, which is from 8-10. (They\'ve cut the money too- from \"up to $10 million\" to \"a million or more\")...

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/06/04/nbc-announces-airdates-for-groundbreaking-24-7-live-competition-the-million-second-quiz-325014/20130604nbc03/\'>http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/06/04/nbc-announces-airdates-for-groundbreaking-24-7-live-competition-the-million-second-quiz-325014/20130604nbc03/