Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide's 60 Greatest TV Themes Of All Time  (Read 16868 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
TV Guide's 60 Greatest TV Themes Of All Time
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Greatest-TV-Theme-Songs-60-1064098.aspx

I would think that The Price Is Right would fit SOMEWHERE in this list...

Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

dale_grass

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »

Doesn\'t appear to be any game shows.  Maybe they just weren\'t considered for this list.  Good to see Mike Post got several nods, though.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:37:57 PM by dale_grass »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:19:49 PM »

List fails when \"The Streetbeater\" doesn\'t even appear much less place in the top 10, on a list that includes Dawson\'s Creek, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Spongebob. Farking Spongebob.

Yet another list pounded out in fifteen minutes over delivered Jimmy John\'s. This is an excellent example of how TV Guide has shot its legacy to hell.

Utterly worthless list, shame on you for biting on the trollbait and promoting it for them, and shame on me for giving it the clickthrough and wasting three minutes of my life looking at it.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:25:10 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
List fails when \"The Streetbeater\" doesn\'t even appear much less place in the top 10, on a list that includes Dawson\'s Creek, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Spongebob. Farking Spongebob.

Yet another list pounded out in fifteen minutes over delivered Jimmy John\'s. This is an excellent example of how TV Guide has shot its legacy to hell.

Utterly worthless list, shame on you for biting on the trollbait and promoting it for them, and shame on me for giving it the clickthrough and wasting three minutes of my life looking at it.

If you go to http://forgottenhits60s.blogspot.com/, they are currently doing their own poll of the top TV hits of all time (Scroll down to the Friday May 3rd post for the final slate of candidates).  Voting is still going on as of this post, so if you want to vote for your 3 faves from the list (including Sanford & Son), do it now!

BTW, for those who get into older music (50s-70s), this website is a daily must read!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

Quantum Leap is sadly missing. And they have The Facts of Life, but not Different Strokes.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 03:12:29 PM by Kevin Prather »

JMFabiano

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »

Curb is the only one I agree about being there, as modern shows go. 

Well nothing can be worse than the FREAKIN\' STUDS moment with GSN\'s countdown, can it? 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

J.R.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »

No room for the MST3K theme? Lamesauce.

-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »

Curb Your Enthusiasm was stock music, and I don\'t think Paula Cole recorded that tune specifically for Dawson\'s Creek. That\'s all I need to know about this list.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »
In fact, she didn\'t. The album it was on came out in 1996 and don\'t forget, it wasn\'t the first successful track it spawned.

(and I actually owned a copy. on cassette. why I confess it I don\'t know.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »
Curb Your Enthusiasm was stock music, and I don\'t think Paula Cole recorded that tune specifically for Dawson\'s Creek. That\'s all I need to know about this list.
I don\'t think that being written for a purpose other than being on TV should disqualify a tune from being on a list.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:43:03 AM »

This right here is why I avoided lists by TV Guide in general since 2002.

I have to remind myself that these are the same people who...

• considered Survivor to be a game show and somehow omitted Press Your Luck from the top 50 greatest game shows list (2001)

• considered Guy Smiley one of the ten \"hosts with the most,\" yet Peter Tomarken, Dick Clark, Wink Martindale, and others are somehow not on the list (same issue, 2001). For the record, I liked Guy Smiley when I was younger.

• considered Seinfeld the greatest show of all time, when it\'s not even close (2002)

• somehow decided that Friends was worthy of its own top 50 list

You said it best, Mr. Lemon. Worthless.

The Inquisitive One

This is the Way.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »

• considered Survivor to be a game show and somehow omitted Press Your Luck from the top 50 greatest game shows list (2001)

When we did the GSF 50 I don\'t think I had PYL on the chart at all, so good on TVG for getting something right.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:09:18 AM by TLEberle »
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »

I should have lopped off the PYL part. I just felt there are other game shows worthy of the list that was chopped off in lieu of Survivor, which cheapened the list a touch...

The Inquisitive One
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:18:46 AM by TheInquisitiveOne »
This is the Way.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »
I also don\'t see what the beef is with two of the most successful sitcoms of all time meriting a place atop a best shows list (a lot of people over the years made that argument as well) or a list of its own (I don\'t know how Friends lasted ten years, never mind that eight and a half of those were crap, but come on).

The Survivor point is valid but I think the host point is very subjective.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:22:07 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 11:05:52 PM »

I\'ve always said that successful TV shows are those which are still regularly rerun 10+ years after the last first-run episode on non-niche channels.

That would include:

Seinfeld

Cheers

Friends

I Love Lucy

The Honeymooners

M*A*S*H

As far as current first-run \"successful\" shows with syndicated rerun potential well into the 2030\'s:

Big Bang Theory

2-1/2 Men

The Simpsons  

As much as I like \"How I Met Your Mother\", I really think it will be a show that will enjoy some rerun miles for a few years after the CBS finale airs, but will fall off the \"syndicated everywhere\" radar soon after...Just like how Mike & Molly, Rules of Engagement and the stable of CSI shows will/are rise & fall in local TV markets. 

I never can understand why hour-long shows aren\'t seen in syndication too much in a Monday-Friday strip, yet the stations will double, triple and quadruple-pump 30-minute shows into the ground, usually into hour-long blocks.