Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Same show, different host  (Read 12466 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Same show, different host
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »

What I don\'t get is why an established host like Geoff Edwards would turn down the chance to host a Goodson-Todman show like Family Feud. In those days, that was 26 weeks of guaranteed employment. I don\'t think Geoff ever did any G-T shows as host or panelist. That story seems far-fetched.

Game Show Utopia has that story transcribed from Geoff himself. He turned down auditioning for Family Feud because he thought it was going to be something like The Neighbors, on top of having a pending deal with Bob Stewart for what became Shoot For The Stars.

About a year before that, a guy named Tom Green (not the MTV jokester) hosted a pilot for a Card Sharks revival...one that was pretty different than the radically pretty one hosted by Pat Bullard.

You misspelled \"sucked hard\".
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

tyshaun1

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »

About a year before that, a guy named Tom Green (not the MTV jokester) hosted a pilot for a Card Sharks revival...one that was pretty different than the radically pretty one hosted by Pat Bullard.

You misspelled \"sucked hard\".

Ah....... so you saw this pilot?

Tyshaun

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »

Ah....... so you saw this pilot?

http://www.usgameshows.net/x.php?show=CardSharks1996\'>I\'ve read enough to tell me I shouldn\'t go looking for it. That said, I wouldn\'t say no to a copy or an MST3K-style screening of this and/or the \'96 Match Game pilot if either was offered to me, mainly because I\'ve never claimed to be an equine dentist. :)

I didn\'t like the 2001 version, but it at least had the Money Cards...even if they were kinda butchered (you won $2,100, except not really; I\'m not touching the cards, I\'m not the dealer; etc.).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:09 AM »
I find the \"Bullard no touch cards\" argument to be invalid. The fact that Tami Roman (Anderson)handled the money cards and the push button flipping is the one \"issue\" that shouldn\'t even be given consideration when talking about the show. It was everything else wrong (one row of cards, unnecessary showdown round, Clip Chips, smarmy host, stupid set design, etc) that made the show blow.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:17:36 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

I find the \"Bullard no touch cards\" argument to be invalid. The fact that Tami Roman (Anderson)handled the money cards and the push button flipping is the one \"issue\" that shouldn\'t even be given consideration when talking about the show. It was everything else wrong (one row of cards, unnecessary showdown round, Clip Chips, smarmy host, stupid set design, etc) that made the show blow.

Not to mention you had to risk your main game winnings in the Money Cards, and could actually go home with less than you received for \"winning\" the game. How that and the single row of cards were OK\'d is beyond me. Later in the half-season they changed it so that a Push = wrong guess

/Well the former was a budget saver, so there you go

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »

http://www.usgameshows.net/x.php?show=CardSharks1996\'>I\'ve read enough to tell me I shouldn\'t go looking for it.

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/image/fail/grand/you_fail.jpg\'>Then you give up the right to comment on how good or bad it is.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:38 AM »
Chris, who are you talking to?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:45 PM »

Chris, who are you talking to?

http://thewordzombie.com/wp-content/uploads/brick_wall.jpg\'>Allow me to answer that.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »

What I don\'t get is why an established host like Geoff Edwards would turn down the chance to host a Goodson-Todman show like Family Feud.  In those days, that was 26 weeks of guaranteed employment.  I don\'t think Geoff ever did any G-T shows as host or panelist.  That story seems far-fetched.

Further confirmed by this 1998 a.t.g-s post made by Geoff himself.

I believe Dickie Dawson said in an interview that William Shatner was also considered for the Feud.

About a year before that, a guy named Tom Green (not the MTV jokester) hosted a pilot for a Card Sharks revival...one that was pretty different than the pretty different one hosted by Pat Bullard.

I misread that as \"pretty decent one\" and thought to myself, \"man, I want whatever you\'re smoking!\"

Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »

What I don\'t get is why an established host like Geoff Edwards would turn down the chance to host a Goodson-Todman show like Family Feud.  In those days, that was 26 weeks of guaranteed employment.  I don\'t think Geoff ever did any G-T shows as host or panelist.  That story seems far-fetched.

Further confirmed by https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.tv.game-shows/FfbapL8daGA\'>this 1998 a.t.g-s post made by Geoff himself.

Well, okay, I\'ll take his word for it, except that between Sept 75 and Jan 77, he was working not for Bob Stewart, but Chuck Barris.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »

Well, okay, I\'ll take his word for it, except that between Sept 75 and Jan 77, he was working not for Bob Stewart, but Chuck Barris.

What about Shoot the Works? It was a Stewart pilot, and it seems to roughly correspond with the time frame.

Bobby Peacock

calliaume

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »

Finally didn\'t Dolly Parton host a \'Feud\' pilot in what became the Pearson Louie Anderson version?

She did, in 1998. A year previously, Doug Davidson\'s name had been associated with a potential revival. (Mediaweek, Jan. 13, 1997.)

I don\'t know if it\'s been mentioned in this thread, but in the 1988 CBS/syndie revival, the two candidates to host were Ray Combs and Joe Namath.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »

Finally didn\'t Dolly Parton host a \'Feud\' pilot in what became the Pearson Louie Anderson version?

She did, in 1998. A year previously, Doug Davidson\'s name had been associated with a potential revival. (Mediaweek, Jan. 13, 1997.)

I don\'t know if it\'s been mentioned in this thread, but in the 1988 CBS/syndie revival, the two candidates to host were Ray Combs and Joe Namath.

Check with David Gleason\'s Broadcasting archive, but Ray was named host of the syndie version by NATPE 1988, perhaps as early as December 1987 after NBC\'s O&O 7:30pm sitcom checkerboard totally flopped and FF was named the replacement.

Earliest mention of Combs I can find is pg.86 in the August 17, 1987 issue.  That\'s right August 17, 1987.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:51:40 PM by Jimmy Owen »

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:38 PM »

I remember looking at some of the issues of the magazine, and I saw some strange photos of Ray Combs on a different set. Pilot perhaps?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »

What about http://www.usgameshows.net/x.php?show=ShootTheWorks&sort=0\'>Shoot the Works? It was a Stewart pilot, and it seems to roughly correspond with the time frame.

Loyalty is loyalty, but I would have gone with Goodson and the Feud and let Bill Cullen host StW. :)