Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "You Don't Say" questions  (Read 2274 times)

pyrfan

"You Don't Say" questions
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »

I was watching episodes of the 1978 syndicated revival of \"You Don\'t Say\" on  YouTube, and I had some questions:

1. Did they do away with the rule that the word you don\'t say can\'t be a proper name? One of the celebs led the contestant to say \"Lamour\" by alluding to Dorothy, and they didn\'t get buzzed.

2. Jim Peck said that the Friday bonus round was worth $10,000 in cash and prizes. In one of the episodes, the indicator says \"$5,000,\" not \"$10,000.\" Was the cash part of the Friday bonus $5K, or was that probably just a mistake? If it was a mistake, does anyone know how much cash was involved in the Friday bonus?

3. In two of the episodes online, the two returning contestants on Friday start with totals that end in \"00,\" but in the third episode online, one contestant had $1,443 and the other had $2,278. I was under the impression that they played for cash Monday through Thursday. How did those two end up with such figures for their initial two-day stints?

Thanks!

geno57

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:37:48 AM »

The only explanation I\'d have for your first question is that \"lamour\" isn\'t necessarily a proper noun.  It could just be the French word for \'love\'.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:49:47 AM »

The only explanation I\'d have for your first question is that \"lamour\" isn\'t necessarily a proper noun.  It could just be the French word for \'love\'.

It\'s not a single word, and you\'re missing the apostrophe. It\'s \"l\'amour\", which is two words. As far as I remember, in both French and Italian, you use an apostrophe if the noun attached to the article starts with the same vowel that the article ends with.

I don\'t know what the rules were on You Don\'t Say but I\'m pretty sure that would\'ve garnered a buzz.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »

Unless contractions work differently in French and English, wouldn\'t l\'amour be one word?

Jay Temple

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

In French, \"l\'amour\" isn\'t a contraction; it\'s elision. If you\'ve ever seen \"th\'\" before a word that starts in a vowel in the words to a song, it\'s the same thing. A French contraction would be something like du (de + le).

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.