Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Joker's Wild Question  (Read 4818 times)

JonSea31

The Joker's Wild Question
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »

I viewed Wikipedia\'s page devoted to The Joker\'s Wild, and I did read that there were 12 slides on each Face the Devil reel, but one of those slides had an extra devil.  What cash amount did the extra devil replace, and what position (1st, 2nd or 3rd reel) was the 2-devil reel prevalent?

I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31:28 AM »

Strictly a guess, but the third reel is the most dramatic place for a Devil to come up, so if I was going to increase the likelihood of it happening, I\'d put it there.

As to what it would replace, again, wholly a guess, but if they were smart they would vary it depending on where they were in their prize budgeting. Over-budget? Replace a $200. Under? Replace a $25.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

I viewed Wikipedia\'s page devoted to The Joker\'s Wild, and I did read that there were 12 slides on each Face the Devil reel,

Interesting; I didn\'t know you could replace slide carousels of different sizes into the same machine and it would still work; I thought FTD had the same twenty slides as the main game.

What cash amount did the extra devil replace,

I don\'t know, I wasn\'t there.

and what position (1st, 2nd or 3rd reel) was the 2-devil reel prevalent?

I wasn\'t aware there were two devils on one; and the devil moved from left-to-center-to-right on the whims of whoever chose where it went.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:02:15 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Marc412

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Seeing as how I\'ve never seen more than one devil come up, I\'d guess only one of the wheels had any devils at all.

JonSea31

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

I have seen a devil pop up in other windows.  But you\'re right, Marc, that a devil only appeared once in a single spin.

It makes me wonder if there is a fixed rotation for the slides?  I actually wonder if there is a fixed slide pattern with Press Your Luck, and that may be why certain slide combinationss never do appear on the board at the same time ($750 never does appear in Square #5 and Square #7 simultaneously, if I recall).  So yeah, I think there is a fixed slide pattern with Press Your Luck.

I think The Joker\'s Wild used slide projectors to shuffle the slides, and it is probably set up to allow for a devil to appear only once in one single spin.  I\'d say there is a special feature on those slide projectors that would allow for any dollar amount to come up anywhere, but the devil can only appear once in a single combination.  Maybe some kind of low-tech computer from back in the day made this possible, perhaps?

Oddly enough, when I played BigJon\'s game earlier this evening, two devils appeared next to each other.  This definitely would never have occurred on the actual show.

I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »

Oddly enough, when I played BigJon\'s game earlier this evening, two devils appeared next to each other.  This definitely would never have occurred on the actual show.

Which is why I refer to him as \"BugJon\".
Travis L. Eberle

dazztardly

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »

I have seen a devil pop up in other windows.  But you\'re right, Marc, that a devil only appeared once in a single spin.

I think The Joker\'s Wild used slide projectors to shuffle the slides, and it is probably set up to allow for a devil to appear only once in one single spin.  I\'d say there is a special feature on those slide projectors that would allow for any dollar amount to come up anywhere, but the devil can only appear once in a single combination.  Maybe some kind of low-tech computer from back in the day made this possible, perhaps?

http://web.archive.org/web/20050204021518/http://sbentley.esmartdesign.com/board.html\'>http://web.archive.org/web/20050204021518/http://sbentley.esmartdesign.com/board.html

As for the devil placement, it was a random pick for both the window and the money amount that it replaced. There was no favoritism for number of \"devils\" in any of the three windows, or any goofy magic. And from my understanding talking with past barry and enright staffers, there was only one devil slide used for that selected window.

-Dan

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 01:17:24 AM »

Which is why I refer to him as \"BugJon\".

Just you? ;)

BigJon\'s BS programming skills aside it seems a little farfetched that there\'d be a Devil on each wheel...although I would be interested to see if they would commemorate somebody spinning three in the same turn. :)

(the Joytube game based on TJW had one in each IIRC...who remembers Joytube?)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »

although I would be interested to see if they would commemorate somebody spinning three in the same turn. :)

Jack Barry conducts an interview segment for the remainder of the show proclaiming that the contestant is the national champion of spinning devils, I guess.

It isn\'t just a little farfetched; it is out-and-out silly.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 01:52:18 AM »
(the Joytube game based on TJW had one in each IIRC...who remembers Joytube?)

(raises hand)

Decent little time-waster. Not perfect, but it passed the time.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!