Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to improve Joker's Wild 90  (Read 12230 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How to improve Joker's Wild 90
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
In an attempt to not totally wilt over the past week I\'ve been doing a lot of sitting around; some of it watching everyone\'s eighth favorite game of lady luck and definitions; and I was thinking to myself that toward the end of the run they almost had something really good. With some changes I think the show would be a solid one.

For one I\'d ditch the third player. It must be terribly frustrating to get on a show, lose the opening jump-in and not ever get to play before you\'re off the show.

I\'d also reduce the amount to win the game to $1,000. The game to $2,000 was an absolute slog especially when the value per question was a whole $25. (this is assuming that the game is played with categories and not the money amounts). This would be coupled with the rule that players alternated turns spinning but could still steal the money on a wrong answer. It is awkward to watch as one player builds up a huge lead and retain control just because his opponent can\'t pick up the rebound.

The bonus game on the original series had all the tension and unpredictability of a John Grisham novel. The match-three version was much better there, and Pat\'s monotone reading was one of necessity I think, since he\'s trying to get out as many questions as he can. The play-in bit is not only a good way to turn the game on its head but it rewards players who have a breadth of knowledge as well.

It would have been different enough from the original so that it wasn\'t a carbon copy, but the changes would make for a better game and better show as well.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:44:11 PM »

Personally, I loved the earlier money format. I liked seeing questions worth \"unusual\" amounts like $85 or $130 and the game went slightly quicker because the value was rarely below $40.

I don\'t know how bold of a statement this is but: I find TJW90 better than TJW of the 70s-80s.

-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
I think it\'s fairly big words, but you wouldn\'t be the first person to make such a bold claim. Whyfor, J.R.?
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »

I think it\'s fairly big words, but you wouldn\'t be the first person to make such a bold claim. Whyfor, J.R.?

I liked how they ditched the long-winded softball questions for categories and straight-forward definitions. The bigger goal ($2000 instead of $500) meant more opportunities to spin the slot machine and I liked the fact the bonus round had some kind of game attached to it, not just going on and on until the bad guy or goal is found.

I guess the only knock was Pat Finn robo-hosting his way though it, but he wasn\'t really that bad or anything.

Not saying the 78-86 version was horrible or anything, just though that there were aspects of the 1990 version that were better.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:45:35 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Jay Temple

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 01:57:55 PM »

Step 1: Don\'t call it \"The Joker\'s Wild.\" It was a good enough game on its own without inviting comparisons to a game that it barely resembled.

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
But v2.0 of the show actually felt like Joker\'s Wild.
Travis L. Eberle

joker316

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »

But v2.0 of the show actually felt like Joker\'s Wild.

I totally agree with your sentiment, it\'s just that, to me, the first half of the run was nothing like the title. The joker was never wild, all it did was make all answers worth triple the spin total  for 15 seconds. So removed from the original concept, I felt the producers could put a different title on it and it would have been better received.

/only my opinion though, your opinions may vary!

Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

From what I read on a few game show trading sites, during the last episode or so, for no reason, they went back to the dollar format.

golden-road

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »

From what I read on a few game show trading sites, during the last episode or so, for no reason, they went back to the dollar format.

Actually it was the last three episodes of the run and this was to make sure the series ended on a solid conclusion.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
How does that change make sure the show ends on \"a solid conclusion\"? Do you mean that they don\'t end mid-game or without giving the champion a chance to play against the joker machine?
Travis L. Eberle

golden-road

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »

How does that change make sure the show ends on \"a solid conclusion\"? Do you mean that they don\'t end mid-game or without giving the champion a chance to play against the joker machine?

Exactly. Although they could\'ve just sounded a buzzer and the one ahead would\'ve won.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »

The first format\'s match ended in 30 minutes. When the format changed, the show began straddling.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 04:04:18 AM »

Some interesting changes.  I wouldn\'t change anything about either TJW \'90 format, actually.  As someone who grew up on and is a fan of the Barry/Cullen version, I actually like TJW \'90 as it is.  Over the years, people have tended to overlook the fact that the game was still pretty damn good, despite the differences from the 70s/80s run.

In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »

Some interesting changes.  I wouldn\'t change anything about either TJW \'90 format, actually.  As someone who grew up on and is a fan of the Barry/Cullen version, I actually like TJW \'90 as it is.  Over the years, people have tended to overlook the fact that the game was still pretty damn good, despite the differences from the 70s/80s run.

I would have the concur. It was a good twist on the format, and I prefer the money wheels to the actual categories. Clearly the stronger of the two B/E revivals that reappeared that year.

If anything, probably needed to find a less robotic version of Pat Finn (not that he was bad to start with).

jage

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »

Just get rid of that god awful endlessly-repeating theme.