Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hypothetical.  (Read 3799 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Hypothetical.
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:21:41 AM »
Is it against any rules for someone in a certain show\'s contestant pool to attend a taping of said show while in said pool?

I\'m certain it\'s an obvious answer but I\'m curious just the same.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Hypothetical.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »
Nah. I saw Millionaire twice while in their pool.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

pyrfan

Hypothetical.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:52 AM »

I attended four \"Pyramid\" tapings while I was in their contestant pool. They never said that you couldn\'t go to tapings of the show if you weren\'t asked to attend. Plus, I\'d have to think that if you\'re in the pool for a new show that hasn\'t aired yet, being in the audience is the best way to learn how to play the game better.

Craig Karlberg

Hypothetical.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:50 AM »

I attended four \"Pyramid\" tapings while I was in their contestant pool. They never said that you couldn\'t go to tapings of the show if you weren\'t asked to attend. Plus, I\'d have to think that if you\'re in the pool for a new show that hasn\'t aired yet, being in the audience is the best way to learn how to play the game better.

It\'s like \"scouting out\" the game just to see what to look out for when you\'re there.  I see nothing wrong with that at all unless they ABSOLUTELY forbid such a practice.

Winkfan

Hypothetical.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
I may have mentioned this already, but when I was a $100k Name That Tune contestant, I was in the "contestant pool" as you put it. I thought I was gonna sit through two or three tapings before I was picked. As it turned out, I was the first one chosen.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:40:58 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

PYLdude

Hypothetical.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

I may have mentioned this already, but when I was a $100k Name That Tune contestant, I was in the \"contestant pool\" as you put it. I thought I was gonna sit through two or three tapings before I was picked. As it turned out, I was the first one chosen.

But in your case, Tammy, I\'d argue different circumstances because you knew you were going to get picked at some point and that\'s how that version of Name That Tune operated- calling out the contestants from the crowd.

My situation is a little different as in I\'m basically on call for lack of a better term.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Hypothetical.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »
Not only is it allowed but every book on \"how to be a contestant and win leventy billion dollarz!\" says

1) watch your game show from the crowd to see what it looks like, how it plays, whatever information you can glean
2) if you can\'t see your show, see any game show, because there are some across the board truisms about how game shows are taped.
3) if you can\'t get tickets to any game show, see a talk show, every little bit of information helps.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Hypothetical.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »

I may have mentioned this already, but when I was a $100k Name That Tune contestant, I was in the \"contestant pool\" as you put it. I thought I was gonna sit through two or three tapings before I was picked. As it turned out, I was the first one chosen.

But in your case, Tammy, I\'d argue different circumstances because you knew you were going to get picked at some point and that\'s how that version of Name That Tune operated- calling out the contestants from the crowd.

My situation is a little different as in I\'m basically on call for lack of a better term.

I\'d take Christian\'s word then. Either way, looks like the general consensus is that you shouldn\'t have any problems...

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

Hypothetical.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »

I\'d take Christian\'s word then. Either way, looks like the general consensus is that you shouldn\'t have any problems...

As I figured but I just wanted to make 100% certain. :)

I wasn\'t picking on Tammy FTR- to me it seemed like the Lange NTT didn\'t have an actual contestant pool (or more fairly, not one that\'s conducted in the manner that most are like Millionaire and Jeopardy).

Also FTR for those who might\'ve been wondering...Millionaire is beginning taping very soon and I\'m in the pool this time. Hence my other topic where I asked for past contestants to hit me up. BTW thanks to Christian, Dr. Tim, and Brandon Brooks for responding to that. You helped ease my mind on that. :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:41:29 PM by PYLdude »

trainman

Hypothetical.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:57 AM »
Incidentally, I\'ve had six \"Jeopardy!\" auditions in Los Angeles -- two of them in the audience seating in the \"Jeopardy!\" studio, even -- and although I\'ve had fellow potential contestants ask pretty much anything you could imagine about rules and procedures, I\'ve never had one ask this question. (And I did go to a taping once while I was in the pool, with no one particularly noticing or caring.)
trainman is a man of trains