Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel - Jackpot Round retired  (Read 12023 times)

CJBojangles

Wheel - Jackpot Round retired
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

One question I haven\'t seen answered anywhere: Will a contestant be able to stop \"Express mode\" voluntarily for another spin, or are they stuck until they solve the puzzle or make a mistake once they go for it?

weaklink75

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »

One question I haven\'t seen answered anywhere: Will a contestant be able to stop \"Express mode\" voluntarily for another spin, or are they stuck until they solve the puzzle or make a mistake once they go for it?

Apparently once you commit, it ends with either you solving the puzzle or going Bankrupt after a miss...

It sounds like a good idea- if someone hits it early on in a round with a big puzzle, playing the odds could be very profitable, especially since you can buy vowels during the run..

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 12:00:24 PM »

Apparently once you commit, it ends with either you solving the puzzle or going Bankrupt after a miss...

That is much more interesting than what I pictured.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

I would venture that the prize puzzle moves to a different round, to keep the one gimmick per round intact.

Also buzzed, the Express wedge will be in Round 3 with the Prize Puzzle. Round 1 will apparently be a full regular round.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »

I would venture that the prize puzzle moves to a different round, to keep the one gimmick per round intact.

Also buzzed, the Express wedge will be in Round 3 with the Prize Puzzle. Round 1 will apparently be a full regular round.

If that\'s true, I would guess the winner of round 3 will end up being the day\'s winner at least 75% of the time, with most of the other 25% of the time the winner coming from after a final spin where Pat hits $5K (+1K).  I do not like combining the Express and the Prize Puzzle into Round 3 for a number of reasons--a plain Jane Round 1, a gimmick-loaded Round 3, anything after R3 likely will not affect who wins for the day unless Pat\'s final spin lands on the biggie.  From what I have read, the Express sounds clever and better than the Jackpot space.  At the same time, I think Harry and Co. made a little mistake by not giving the Express its own dedicated round, though I can understand the reasoning for placing it in the final \"normal\" round (non-speed round, on most days).

weaklink75

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »

Isn\'t the Round 3 puzzle the biggest one as in number of letters usually? That might be why they put the Express in this round- though I agree they should have gone with maybe Mystery Wedge in Round 1, Prize Puzzle in Round 2, Express in Round 3. At least it stretches the gimmicks out a little...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:48:54 PM by weaklink75 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
I always thought it was the first puzzle that was the longest/had the most letters.

I like weaklink\'s setup idea because of a better flow- just one right after another.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »

The Prize Puzzle counts as a gimmick?  I just tune it out like another ad.

Although it does explain why the Round 1 wheel posted the other day has four consecutive dollar amounts - the Express goes over one of them in Round 3.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 11:33:24 PM by Mr. Armadillo »