Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three Jokers anamolies  (Read 7007 times)

comicus

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »

I would suspect that, in the name of keeping the prize budget as low as possible, that option wouldn\'t even be given to the contestant.  Winning on three jokers = $500, the end.

Thunder

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »

If anybody ever missed any Joker\'s Wild questions at all, they deserved to lose instantly.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 12:41:25 AM »

If anybody ever missed any Joker\'s Wild B&E show questions at all, they deserved to lose instantly.

Fixed. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 02:21:23 PM »

If anybody ever missed any Joker\'s Wild questions at all, they deserved to lose instantly.

Your stock rose three points just by saying this.
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 04:44:29 AM »

Especially the \"Over 80\" tournament where all the questions, IMHO, were either True or False or multiple choice

/Became depressing to watch when I realized most all the contestants were dead by the time I watched it (1997).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:45:00 AM by aaron sica »

That Don Guy

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »

If anybody ever missed any Joker\'s Wild B&E show questions at all, they deserved to lose instantly.

Fixed. :)

There were a few that not everybody was expected to know.  One that comes to mind (I think it was the winning question for the player who beat the syndicated version\'s biggest money winner, not including tournaments) was, \"In what state does Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman take place?\".

Jimmy Owen

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »

In it\'s day, the question wasn\'t too difficult.  If you didn\'t watch MHMH, you probably watched Fernwood 2 Night.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

KrisW73

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »

2) In tournament play, the player at the first podium spins 3 Jokers, gets it right and goes to $500. Meanwhile, the #2 player has $350 at the time this happens. Should that player then spin a triple and get it right, that would mathematically put them ahead at $550 and give them the win. But are 3 Jokers allowed to get trumped like this in the tournament?

I remembered a similar scenario during the $1M tournament - took me a little time to find it. If the player in position 1 spins three jokers then then the second player gets a chance to match the first spin. 

Video (along with Jack\'s explanation of the amended rule at 6:30) is here:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GRw8KPubLeI&list=PLB63F91DA9F7C7583&t=391

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:36:46 PM by KrisW73 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »
Hated that rule in tournament play.  The game was already balanced in favor of the champion. Taking away the challenger\'s only advantage made it worse, and a tournament is not the time to do that.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

Hated that rule in tournament play. The game was already balanced in favor of the champion. Taking away the challenger\'s only advantage made it worse, and a tournament is not the time to do that.

I\'m missing something. Why is it an advantage when they are merely insuring that both players get the same number of chances to spin?

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
As bad TV as it was to have somebody go from zero to 500 on the first turn, it would have been exponentially worse to not even let the second player have a go.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

Hated that rule in tournament play. The game was already balanced in favor of the champion. Taking away the challenger\'s only advantage made it worse, and a tournament is not the time to do that.

I\'m missing something. Why is it an advantage when they are merely insuring that both players get the same number of chances to spin?

Because same number of chances to spin wasn\'t enforced equally, but rather always to the champion\'s advantage.  If the champion got to $500 on the challenger\'s turn, the champion wasn\'t required to spin.  This was true even in the linked tournament, one example being the game that knocked out Hal Shear.

Remember, many Barry Enright games had a strong champions advantage. This rule change made it stronger in a time it should have been weakened.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »

That seems really ticky-tack, because if you force the champion to take that last spin, barring a natural triple (and why do you want a situation where you are rooting AGAINST a natural triple?), or three Jokers (which can\'t be stolen) you\'re gonna take a singleton or go off the board for $50 with a Joker and 99.5% of the time it\'s not going to matter.

(And I forget, are you obligated to take a natural pair or triple for its full amount? I know you don\'t have to with Jokers involved, but that\'s because ostensibly you can \"change\" the wild Joker to something that doesn\'t match.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:48:40 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
At which the champion takes something for less than the difference of his score and his opponent\'s, and instead of the game ending on a positive note, it now ends on a downer prove-out where no one cares that the challenger got to 450, because the champ is on 500 and ready to face the devil. Yes, that would be closer still to 100% parity, but it would also make for lousy television.

For posterity I will note that the single-player, general knowledge question format of Play the Percentages absolutely cornholed the returning champion as he would go second in each round, and players were not given equal turns; whoever reached 250 points would win the game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:49:09 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

Three Jokers anamolies
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »

Yes... and I will note that unlike many of the B-E formats which were quite sound, the second format of Pt% was basically a hackneyed attempt to make use of space for a few more weeks, and was likely cobbeled together at a breakneck speed.