Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bumper Stumpers question about the removal of the Play/Challenge optio  (Read 4940 times)

irismason42

Now can any of you guys assist me? We know about the format change that began in Mo & Jeff\'s 4th match on the July 15, 1987 episode, but what about the removal of the Play or Challenge option, what episode # or what week of episodes did the Play or Challenge option finally get removed?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Bumper Stumpers question about the removal of the Play/Challenge optio
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
We knew that?
Travis L. Eberle

Thunder

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

The \"Play or Challenge\" option was taken out of the game on the episode that aired on October 14, 1987 (taped on September 12, 1987). That was episode #420.

/Would somebody please reply with \"Really?\"

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:58:02 AM by Thunder »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:19 AM »

I never really liked this show very much when it was originally on, but my opinion of it\'s changed a bit recently.  It\'s actually a cute show.

I\'ve been watching some episodes recently which have the play/challenge option, but there\'s one thing I\'m not clear on:  if a team challenges and the other team doesn\'t get it, do they automatically get a letter in the Super Stumper, or do they still have to solve it themselves?  If they do solve it, can they pick up to two letters?

I\'ve never understood what happens if a team challenges and the other team doesn\'t get it.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »

The \"Play or Challenge\" option was taken out of the game on the episode that aired on October 14, 1987 (taped on September 12, 1987). That was episode #420.

Well played.

irismason42

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »

Actually, it was much earlier than that, Jamie Locklin uploaded an episode that began with Tom & Mary vs. Guy & Joe awhile back and the Play or Challenge option was still there. Jared Oswald recently uploaded an episode that began with Rob & Phyllise @ Final Stumper from the week of August 3-7, 1987(episode #28 to be exact) and the Play or Challenge option was eliminated, so that option only lasted but just 4-5 weeks. For those who have Game TV now or within the last year it\'d be easier to eye.

irismason42

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »

I never really liked this show very much when it was originally on, but my opinion of it\'s changed a bit recently.  It\'s actually a cute show.

I\'ve been watching some episodes recently which have the play/challenge option, but there\'s one thing I\'m not clear on:  if a team challenges and the other team doesn\'t get it, do they automatically get a letter in the Super Stumper, or do they still have to solve it themselves?  If they do solve it, can they pick up to two letters?

I\'ve never understood what happens if a team challenges and the other team doesn\'t get it.

If a team Challenge, they\'d still have to solve the jump-in themselves and if they do solve, they still had to pick one space in the Super Stumper.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »

Really?

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »
I find it a curious word choice to say that if a team do solve, they still had to pick one space in the Super Stumper, as if that was some sort of penalty to be endured.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »

I think the challenge option was eliminated because most teams opted to play, so asking was a bit pointless... while it was risky to allow the other team to try to solve the plate first, it gave the team that challenged a few extra seconds to look at the plate and try to sound it out to themselves while the other team tried to solve it. It also would help the team that challenged to listen to all the wrong responses. Perhaps a better incentive would be that a successful challenge would allow the team that challenged TWO letters in the Super Stumper instead of just one. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Why bother adding the extra step? Is there a quiz show where you can buzz in and force the opponent to answer a toss-up?
Travis L. Eberle

dmota104

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

I think the challenge option was eliminated because most teams opted to play, so asking was a bit pointless... while it was risky to allow the other team to try to solve the plate first, it gave the team that challenged a few extra seconds to look at the plate and try to sound it out to themselves while the other team tried to solve it. It also would help the team that challenged to listen to all the wrong responses. Perhaps a better incentive would be that a successful challenge would allow the team that challenged TWO letters in the Super Stumper instead of just one. 

Vague recollection: Al DuBois mentioned this in the opening minute or so of an episode when the play/pass option was removed from the rules.

Thunder

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »

Really?

NO! NOT REALLY!

/Thank You.

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »

http://d1ovi2g6vebctw.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/really-seth-and-amy.jpeg\'>These two would be more than glad to.

-Joe Raygor

Marc412

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »

Why bother adding the extra step? Is there a quiz show where you can buzz in and force the opponent to answer a toss-up?

Not a real one, but you can do just that in \"You Don\'t Know Jack\".