Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Ask America Contestant Kit  (Read 7620 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Let's Ask America Contestant Kit
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »

I got the call to be a contestant on Let\'s Ask America this week. The FedEx guy came a little while ago and dropped off a box from the show--a Contestant Kit. Thought you might be interested to see what it contains.

Let\'s see: answer cards, a black marker, headphones, a USB audio dongle, an Ethernet cable, a T-shirt, a sticker, and a travel cup. Pretty sweet.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2mwgho5.jpg\'>Contents

Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »

With all the calls you\'ve gotten in the past year, I\'m waiting for the President to drop a line.

Quite a nice little package. I love TV logo branded products.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

jage

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

Not something I thought of, but that makes a lot of sense to send out USB audio dongles and microphones. That way you\'re just troubleshooting one product if audio is bad.

The geek in me wants to know what the brand is for the audio dongle?

Good luck on the show.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:52:51 PM by jage »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »

I got the call to be a contestant on Let\'s Ask America this week. The FedEx guy came a little while ago and dropped off a box from the show--a Contestant Kit. Thought you might be interested to see what it contains.

Let\'s see: answer cards, a black marker, headphones, a USB audio dongle, an Ethernet cable, a T-shirt, a sticker, and a travel cup. Pretty sweet.

I take it shows don\'t have any appearance limits these days?  That\'s a cry from the old days...what was it...3 in 10 years for some?

--Mark
Phil 4:13

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »
^ Somebody correct me if I\'m wrong, but I think since The Chase was on cable, it doesn\'t count towards the appearance limit.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:27:02 AM »

I take it shows don\'t have any appearance limits these days?  That\'s a cry from the old days...what was it...3 in 10 years for some?

Some do, some don\'t. Million Second Quiz did not. Let\'s Ask America only required that I disclose what shows I\'ve been on in the past 6 months.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:28:21 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »

Some do, some don\'t. Million Second Quiz did not. Let\'s Ask America only required that I disclose what shows I\'ve been on in the past 6 months.

And it\'s not like LAA is being cleared in >50% of the TV markets, either.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 12:16:45 AM »

^ Somebody correct me if I\'m wrong, but I think since The Chase was on cable, it doesn\'t count towards the appearance limit.

That\'s I believe on a show by show basis. Millionaire doesn\'t count cable but I don\'t know if Wheel or Jeopardy! do.

One thing I was a little confused about is how Millionaire says you can\'t have been on any show in the year prior or any show that\'s having its first broadcast within a year of your airdate. This confuses me because I don\'t know if I could try out for a show like Let\'s Ask America (I\'m considering it) without having to forfeit the money I won on Millionaire (which I\'ve already received).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

How I read it, if you want to keep your stuff, you can\'t go on another show until 2014, specially episodes that air in October or later.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:20:49 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
The way I read it, though, is that it strictly talks about premieres of new shows, not ones that are already airing. (I\'d be precluded from Wheel or Jeopardy anyway because of their one year rule.)

Of course, if I wanted to do something on GSN, I certainly could as that doesn\'t count against me.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »

I inferred \"first broadcast\" as \"first broadcast of your episode\"

This signature is currently under construction.

snowpeck

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »

I inferred \"first broadcast\" as \"first broadcast of your episode\"

That\'s what I inferred also. The wording is so that reruns don\'t count against you.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

PYLdude

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »
But that doesn\'t make any sense- why wouldn\'t they just say \"in addition to not having been on a show in the past year, in order to retain eligibility you must also agree not to participate in any other non-cable program within twelve months of your initial appearance\"?

That\'s a little more direct and doesn\'t make it seem like there could be any vagueness because I see \"show having its first broadcast\" and \"episode having its first broadcast\" separately.

Not to say I\'m going to test the theory and risk losing the grand I got, but I\'m curious to know precisely where I stood. Perhaps I should try to find the number of the legal department and ask for a clarification.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
What do they care if you go on a show after the episode is broadcast? And are they going to hire someone to check in on that sort of thing?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »

What do they care if you go on a show after the episode is broadcast? And are they going to hire someone to check in on that sort of thing?

I cite the instance of Todd Kim, whose appearance on Super Millionaire occurred quite soon after his appearance on Jeopardy was taped- in fact I believe the episodes aired about a month apart and he was forced to forfeit the consolation cash he won on Jeopardy as a result.