Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Reporter article about TPIR  (Read 2078 times)

Matt Ottinger

Hollywood Reporter article about TPIR
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:04:47 PM »

So according to this one, five hosts (including Mike Richards) were screen-tested to replace Bob Barker, and the job didn\'t go to any of them...true? Anybody know? Every report I\'ve ever read on how Drew Carey got this job disagrees with every other one...

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »

{Slight fanboy mode}Interesting that the article doesn\'t mention The Pyramid (admittedly, a pretty obscure show considering how fast it came and went), but mentions Beauty and the Geek, which I would think was even more obscure. At least Pyramid aired in this decade, and could go in line with how busy Mikey was with producing two game shows then hosting a third. :-P{/Sfm}

{Devil\'s advocate journalist mode} Then again, Wikipedia (which is never wrong) said Beauty... aired for five seasons, so that could explain the mention. I guess in that case it was the more memorable entry.{/Dajm}

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »

So according to this one, five hosts (including Mike Richards) were screen-tested to replace Bob Barker, and the job didn\'t go to any of them...true? Anybody know? Every report I\'ve ever read on how Drew Carey got this job disagrees with every other one...

Yes, if they\'re listing the people CBS and Fremantle were throwing at the wall to see what would stick. Some of them made it to Stage 33. Some of them stopped at TPIR-Live in Vegas. And some of them didn\'t make it out of contestants row (the office runthroughs).

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:40:17 AM »

No, there were a lot more than five. According to http://sb2tlopg.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/interview-with-roger-dobkowitz-part-6/\'>Roger https://sb2tlopg.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/interview-with-roger-dobkowitz-part-6-update/\'>Dobkowitz, tryouts included Dave Price, Todd Newton, John O\'Hurley, Doug Davidson, Mark Steines, Mario Lopez, Mike Richards, George Hamilton, Mark L. Walberg, and a bunch of unnamed candidates.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...