Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New GSN series: "Mind Of A Man"  (Read 6469 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
New GSN series: "Mind Of A Man"
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »

[via press release from GSN]

GSN ANNOUNCES COMEDIAN DeRAY DAVIS AS HOST OF NEW ORIGINAL SERIES \"MIND OF A MAN\" 

In New Game Show, Female Contestants Get Help From Celebrity Panelists as They Try to Figure Out What Men Really Think

September 25, 2013 (Santa Monica, CA) - GSN announced today that the network has signed comedian-actor DeRay Davis as host of the new original series MIND OF A MAN. In the half-hour game show, two female contestants try to figure out what men really think, with the help of a celebrity panel. The network has ordered 40 episodes of MIND OF A MAN which will premiere on GSN in 2014.

\"DeRay Davis is a dream talent -fast on his feet, smart and simply hilarious,\" said Amy Introcaso-Davis, EVP, Programming and Development, GSN. \"His original and often outrageous take on relationships makes him the perfect choice to host this truth-is-stranger than-fiction, comedic exploration of what really goes on in the MIND OF A MAN.\"

\"Considering the number of times women have asked me, \'DeRay, what were you thinking?\', I am definitely the right guy to host MIND OF A MAN, \" said Davis. \"I\'m very excited to be part of this show and really look forward to sharing my crazy experiences and learning as much as the contestants do.\"

Born and raised on the south side of Chicago, comedian-turned-actor Davis has most recently been \"scene\" and heard in \"G.I. Joe: Retaliation\" with Bruce Willis, \"21 Jump Street,\" \"Jumping The Broom,\" and his wildly successful Showtime one-hour Comedy Special, \"DeRay Davis: Power Play.\" He appeared on \"Second Generation Wayans,\" and lends his voice and writing talent to countless characters on Kanye West\'s albums, \"The Boondocks,\" and currently on Adult Swims \"Black Dynamite.\"

Davis developed and honed a hip, sardonic, streetwise mentality at an early age and parlayed it into the comedy-club circuit. His career breakthrough came at the Laffapalooza Festival in Atlanta, GA, after which he won the Comedy Central Laugh Riots Competition. Davis brings his unique style to the subjects of race, poverty, and his challenging experiences growing up in the Windy City projects with a dysfunctional African-American family. Davis\'s other TV appearances include \"Entourage\" and \"Reno 911!\"

What are men really thinking? In each episode of MIND OF A MAN, two female contestants will try to figure out what men really think about dating, marriage, working and all manner of manly pursuits. The questions on the show have all been previously asked and answered by a survey of 100 men. Over three rounds, the contestants will try to determine the correct answers with the help of a celebrity panel. A mix of famous and funny male and female celebrities will offer their opinions about what men are really thinking. And for successfully getting inside the MIND OF A MAN, one of the contestants could walk away with the grand prize.

MIND OF A MAN is produced by Never Nominated Productions Inc. with 51 Minds Entertainment\'s Mark Cronin serving as Executive Producer.

Read more at http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/09/25/gsn-announces-comedian-deray-davis-as-host-of-new-original-series-mind-of-a-man-303314/20130925gsn01/#lemy7doWdHDmORvs.99\'>http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2013/09/25/gsn-announces-comedian-deray-davis-as-host-of-new-original-series-mind-of-a-man-303314/20130925gsn01/#lemy7doWdHDmORvs.99

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:15:50 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Thunder

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

First thought even after reading his bio: Who in the hell is DeRay Davis?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »

Why, he\'s a rising young comedian, of course!

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »

I\'m with you on this one.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »

I\'m going to let you in on a little PR secret...those quotes probably didn\'t come from Ms. Introcaso-Davis or Mr. Davis. Willing to bet the PR writer put something together that sounded like it came from the two, except DeRay\'s quote makes him sound a little full of himself.

His name doesn\'t ring a bell, and I\'ve watched quite a few of the shows mentioned in that release. Not to diminish his work, but the PR writer definitely did his or her job pumping up his resume. :-P

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »

I\'m with you on this one.

Probably a household name at the Comedy Nights held at all the Ramada Inns in the Plains states.

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »

I\'ve seen him on several comedy shows and movies, so I recognized the face when I saw him. But the name...... yeah I had no idea either.

Tyshaun

MTCesquire

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »

FWIW, he was on Hip Hop Squares for the ten minutes it aired on MTV2 last summer.  Just trying to come up with a show you all may have seen him on.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »

There\'s a nightclub in Virginia Beach called Funny Bone. I\'m wondering if he\'s ever performed there, and if I ever saw him. Seems like that\'s the kind of circuit he\'d work...that\'s not meant to be a slight; Funny Bone is actually a chain with clubs in different cities I believe, and quite a few big names have stopped by.

ObGameShow: Ben Bailey and Dave Attell did shows earlier this year.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:38:04 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »

Funny Bone is actually a chain with clubs in different cities I believe, and quite a few big names have stopped by.

I can confirm there\'s one in Des Moines.

-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »

Are there now more African-American game show hosts than other ethnicities?  I\'m including Wayne Brady. :)

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Thunder

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »

The answer above Jimmy Owen\'s question ( I can confirm there\'s one in Des Moines.) works for Jimmy\'s question as well.

/Who Cares?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 10:06:22 AM »

The answer above Jimmy Owen\'s question ( I can confirm there\'s one in Des Moines.) works for Jimmy\'s question as well.

/Who Cares?

I guess it doesn\'t matter, but it does show that game-show hosting is not limited to the old stereotypical white male. Parity has been reached. 

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:12:57 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

Not sure if serious, but I\'d think that parity was reached sometime in the 90s, when other minorities (not just Blacks) and women began hosting as well.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 11:37:46 AM »

Steve Harvey was not available.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.