Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy More Specific?  (Read 8730 times)

Chuck Sutton

Jeopardy More Specific?
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »

Again Are there rules on when Alex asks someone to be more specific when just giving a last name.

Last week in a category on TV charactors the answer was \"Homey, the clown\"   The player responded \"Who is Wayans?\"

If there was ever a response that needed  a first name,  it is which Wayans played which character on In Living Color.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »
\"Prompt on: Roosevelt,\" \"Do not accept: Theodore Roosevelt\".
Travis L. Eberle

Chuck Sutton

Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

Yes, but there were two Presidents named Roosevelt.  There were 5 Wayans on In Living Color.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
Without inside knowledge (all hailing frequencies open!) the rule seems like it would be if Alex\'s game sheet says \"Prompt on: Wayans,\" then the contestant is asked to be more specific. If it doesn\'t, Alex doesn\'t ask.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »

Without inside knowledge (all hailing frequencies open!) the rule seems like it would be if Alex\'s game sheet says \"Prompt on: Wayans,\" then the contestant is asked to be more specific. If it doesn\'t, Alex doesn\'t ask.

I think Chuck is pointing out (assuming all of this information is accurate) that this is a failing on the part of the writing / research team, and that if it DIDN\'T say \"Prompt on: Wayans\" on Alex\'s sheet, it should have.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »

The strangest \"be more specific\" I ever saw on Jeopardy was a presidents category where a player responded with \"Who is Kennedy?\"  Yes, there is a whole family of political folks named Kennedy, but if \'president\' is assumed in the category, I don\'t see the need for prompting.

I agree with Chuck that \'Wayans\' by itself should not have been enough.

I had a taping last night where I wanted \'Conestoga wagon\' and I prompted a kid who said \'covered wagon\'.  He didn\'t get it, and later I felt bad because I don\'t think the question was specific enough as written.  (It wasn\'t one of mine.)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:35:14 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
if Alex\'s game sheet says \"Prompt on: Wayans,\" then the contestant is asked to be more specific. If it doesn\'t, Alex doesn\'t ask.

Do you know for a fact that this is how Jeopardy! operates and if so, how do you come by that information?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:38:46 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
I had a taping last night where I wanted \'Conestoga wagon\' and I prompted a kid who said \'covered wagon\'.

Why wouldn\'t covered wagon be an acceptable answer?

clemon79

Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

Because a Conestoga wagon is a specific type of covered wagon, and I\'m going to guess the question pinned to that.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Because a Conestoga wagon is a specific type of covered wagon, and I\'m going to guess the question pinned to that.

What\'s the difference? Good luck explaining this one considering you don\'t even know what the question was.

clemon79

Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »

What\'s the difference? Good luck explaining this one considering you don\'t even know what the question was.

Yeah, I don\'t think I\'m going to engage if I\'m going to be treated like that. Feel free to look it up on Wikipedia, which is what I did.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

Yeah, I don\'t think I\'m going to engage if I\'m going to be treated like that. Feel free to look it up on Wikipedia, which is what I did.

In other words, you don\'t have a clue.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »

if Alex\'s game sheet says \"Prompt on: Wayans,\" then the contestant is asked to be more specific. If it doesn\'t, Alex doesn\'t ask.

Do you know for a fact that this is how Jeopardy! operates and if so, how do you come by that information?

I know that there has been video, or at least a photo, of what Alex sees when he\'s hosting the show. Whether or not that contains the answer to this specific question, I am not sure (it\'s been years since I\'ve seen it).

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »

On our show I had a way of dealing with situations such as these.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Jeopardy More Specific?
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »
You buzzed them since \"Conestoga Wagon\" is two words?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."