Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Countdown to replace hard-copy dictionaries with laptop  (Read 3726 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Countdown to replace hard-copy dictionaries with laptop
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »
http://www.twimovies.com/news/23909-dictionary-corner-s-final-countdown-channel-4-show-scraps-hard-copies-and-will-check-words-on-a-laptop-from-the-new-year.html

To sum it up: due to the printed dictionary only being updated every 4-5 years and there are currently no plans to update it, the show has decided to use the Oxford Dictionary Online for judging beginning in January (the start of Series 70). The change is to allow "modern" words (including badassery, twerking, and selfie) to be used...although whether that's a good thing, I can't say.

[Edited 1/1/14 to fix link.]
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:10:26 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

I\'d like to think the contestants the show gets are a little more sophisticated than to use a word like \"selfie\" or \"twerk\".

Sounds like the article (and fans) are overreacting a bit...sounds more like a convenience/technology move to me, not an effort to get more dick questions in like Feud. I mean the odds of those letters showing up are still a bit long, no?

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »

I\'d like to think the contestants the show gets are a little more sophisticated than to use a word like \"selfie\" or \"twerk\".

Dunno; that ten-year-old managed to rip off a \"FARTED\" for six.

Sounds like the article (and fans) are overreacting a bit...sounds more like a convenience/technology move to me, not an effort to get more dick questions in like Feud. I mean the odds of those letters showing up are still a bit long, no?

There\'s two hundred letters in the pool, and I think they\'re evenly divided \'tween consonants and vowels. If someone is looking at this and their takeaway is that \"twerk\" might be an acceptable answer and lo! we should all sit and pray for the show, they\'re not getting it. The language evolves, we get more words all the time and this is a way to account for that and to not have to tell someone that their answer that is most definitely a word doesn\'t count because it isn\'t in the big ol\' book.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »

You can be assured that they\'ve been using modern technology for a while now, and the physical dictionary was just a prop.  And if you really think the reason for the change was to accept modern words, then you really don\'t understand...well...much at all about Countdown.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

If I\'m behind by 5, and \"selfie\" is the longest word in that particular pool of letters, you\'d better believe I\'m all up in that. Pride doesn\'t win teapots.

Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »

Pride doesn\'t win teapots.

If your opponent can\'t make a six, it most certainly can.

This signature is currently under construction.

Robair

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »

The language evolves, we get more words all the time and this is a way to account for that and to not have to tell someone that their answer that is most definitely a word doesn\'t count because it isn\'t in the big ol\' book.

Well said. I equate this to the reason crosswords don\'t really become stale. There\'s always a new word or phrase like \"twerk\" or \"clickbait\" looking to insinuate itself in the mainstream, and I think some of the more savvy \"Countdown\" people may glom onto these new words once they go to the online source. Staunch traditionalists may not like this, but hey.

But one thing does bug me...with the computer, could it be that anyone can now do Susie Dent\'s job? They\'ll still rightly call it \"dictionary corner\", but without that bulging tome there it\'ll seem less like an authoritative source.

What I do think changes positively is that they may use the laptop to find the longest word available for each pool of letters, There are indeed times where Susie will miss the longest word.

--Robair

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

What I do think changes positively is that they may use the laptop to find the longest word available for each pool of letters, There are indeed times where Susie will miss the longest word.

Personally, I like this. When Susie misses the longest word, it\'s usually some ridiculous word that no reasonable person would catch. Similar to Carol not making it to the target because she didn\'t think to go 133 times 7. It also creates an impressive moment when the contestant outdoes Susie or Carol.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »

managed to rip off a \"FARTED\"

*TEEHEE*

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."