Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker to return to Price on December 12  (Read 42936 times)

cyclone45

Barker to return to Price on December 12
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »

Because both the greatest GS hosts in my mind hosted the same titled show...wonder if Bill taught Bob anything?

BrandonFG

« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »

I love Barker AS A HOST, guys, don\'t get me wrong. There are two sides to every story and I just don\'t like his political side, and \'m worried that bringing him back might invite more trouble than it\'s worth. Barker is in my mind the second greatest host of all time, behind, ironically, the first TPiR host, Bill Cullen. I\'m just worried about the animosity at Studio 33 given his past. 

I have a feeling there won\'t be anything close to that. Know why? Because the last time he appeared on the show (to promote his book), everything went pretty well.

So now you\'re back to liking him as a host?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
That\'s not irony; that\'s coincidence.

/I\'ll say it so Lord Lemon doesn\'t have to...\"porkin\' the models.\"
Travis L. Eberle

cyclone45

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2013, 09:39:15 PM »

I\'ve always liked his ON STAGE personality..just not the BTS stuff

whewfan

« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »

I am sure Bob admired Bill Cullen, and I think Bob mentioned him in the Archive interview that\'s someplace on YouTube. Bill also appeared on TPIR, riding the train, and Bob had a discussion with him about Price is Right, and Child\'s Play, which I believe Bill was plugging. 

I am sure Bob never NEEDED lessons from Bill, but one thing both had in common was that they NEVER stopped talking and kept the game moving. One thing I miss about Bob hosting TPIR was that when a contestant was coming up on stage, Drew never made any commentary as the contestant was coming to him to play a pricing game. It\'s an old trick in radio broadcasting that you NEVER want \"dead air\" because if you went long enough without saying anything, a listener might think there\'s something wrong with the station and change stations. Bob would typically say something like \"Here comes so and so, coming up here to play a pricing game... and he\'s doing so in a hurry, isn\'t he?\" or some variation. 

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »

I love Barker AS A HOST, guys, don\'t get me wrong. There are two sides to every story and I just don\'t like his political side, and \'m worried that bringing him back might invite more trouble than it\'s worth. Barker is in my mind the second greatest host of all time, behind, ironically, the first TPiR host, Bill Cullen. I\'m just worried about the animosity at Studio 33 given his past. 

I have a feeling there won\'t be anything close to that. Know why? Because the last time he appeared on the show (to promote his book), everything went pretty well.

I know why there won\'t be any animosity given his past. Who in production is left from Bob\'s era? I can only think of Rachel and Gwen. I don\'t think any of the higher ups are left. They don\'t really care what he did in the past because they weren\'t there.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MTCesquire

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »

I am sure Bob never NEEDED lessons from Bill, but one thing both had in common was that they NEVER stopped talking and kept the game moving. One thing I miss about Bob hosting TPIR was that when a contestant was coming up on stage, Drew never made any commentary as the contestant was coming to him to play a pricing game. It\'s an old trick in radio broadcasting that you NEVER want \"dead air\" because if you went long enough without saying anything, a listener might think there\'s something wrong with the station and change stations. Bob would typically say something like \"Here comes so and so, coming up here to play a pricing game... and he\'s doing so in a hurry, isn\'t he?\" or some variation. 

Yeah, that definitely took some time getting used to when Drew first took over.  It felt kinda awkward having silence between the announcement of the One Bid winner and when they made it on stage next to Drew.  Needless to say, I\'m used to it now and it doesn\'t bother me anymore.

/hint, hint...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »

If they are gonna throw him a (BEEEEEEEEEP) party, thwn they are going to throw him a (BLEEEP) party! There\'s NOTHING you can do, Johnny!! Now shut the (BEEP) up and go away!

Now you\'re getting it.

You sound...concerned.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »

I am sure Bob never NEEDED lessons from Bill,

In his mind, anyhow.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Johnissoevil

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »

I\'m a fan of Bob\'s work on TPIR and TorC.  I didn\'t agree with him vetoing Dennis James\' work on the nigttime version from airing on GSN (I am too young to remember that version from before Barker took over, and was very curious about that run), but it is what it is, I didn\'t lose any sleep over it.  What counts is people love him, and he came across as wanting the contestants to win.  So the honor is well deserved.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:24:01 PM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Bob Zager

« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »

I\'m a fan of Bob\'s work on TPIR and TorC.  I didn\'t agree with him vetoing Dennis James\' work on the nigttime version from airing on GSN (I am too young to remember that version from before Barker took over, and was very curious about that run), but it is what it is, I didn\'t lose any sleep over it.  What counts is people love him, and he came across as wanting the contestants to win.  So the honor is well deserved.

I\'d heard that the reason Barker objected to the Dennis James hosted episodes from airing on GSN, was mainly because virtually all (if not 100%) of those episode featured a fur coat as a prize.

The only episode GSN aired featuring Dennis James had him \"pinch-hitting,\" for Barker on CBS Daytime, and had no fur coat as a prize. 

Johnissoevil

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »

I\'d heard that the reason Barker objected to the Dennis James hosted episodes from airing on GSN, was mainly because virtually all (if not 100%) of those episode featured a fur coat as a prize.

That would be correct.  That\'s also the reason the daytime premiere from 9/4/72 never aired on GSN.  Dennis did pretty good on Price, IMO.

The only episode GSN aired featuring Dennis James had him \"pinch-hitting,\" for Barker on CBS Daytime, and had no fur coat as a prize. 

Correct again.  GSN did that as a tribute to Dennis after he had passed away.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:49:43 PM by Johnissoevil »

Bryce L.

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

I can tell you that it\'s not 100%. I know for a fact that show #006N (VTR 09-04-1972) didn\'t have a fur in it. Sure, that\'s 1 out of 195, but still...

And be that as it may, I\'m surprised that Barker had the authority to block Dennis\' shows from airing. I could see him vetoing his own shows, but not the work of another emcee...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:59:18 PM by Bryce L. »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »

And be that as it may, I\'m surprised that Barker had the authority to block Dennis\' shows from airing. I could see him vetoing his own shows, but not the work of another emcee...

We\'ve talked about this.  A lot.  The conventional wisdom was that there was an effort to keep Barker happy.  One line of thought was that if Barker wasn\'t happy, he wouldn\'t allow for ANY of his own shows to be seen.  A Price package that included plenty of Cullen, James and Kennedy, but no Barker, might be really, really cool for seven or eight of us, but would look ridiculous to the general public.

There was also some consideration to the idea that it wasn\'t worth GSN\'s efforts to transfer (and/or air) the fairly limited number of fur-free James episodes.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:46:26 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »

There was also some consideration to the idea that it wasn\'t worth GSN\'s efforts to transfer (and/or air) the fairly limited number of fur-free James episodes.

I\'ll take this over the BS speculation that was on Wikipedia a few years back that GSN probably didn\'t air the remaining James episodes because \"Bob may have hated Dennis.\"  I removed that from the article, only for some hack to put it back in, saying something like \"Us not knowing the reason is pure speculation,\" then also saying \"Bob may have allowed Dennis\' daytime episode to air on the day of his death out of pure sympathy, and nothing more.\"  Someone else has since removed it again, and it hasn\'t been placed back in the article since then.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:41:58 PM by Johnissoevil »