Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oddity on "Let's Make A Deal" October 22, 2013  (Read 5211 times)

Bryce L.

Oddity on "Let's Make A Deal" October 22, 2013
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »

http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/article_98757024-3b88-11e3-9cd5-0019bb30f31a.html\'>http://www.dailytoreador.com/lavida/article_98757024-3b88-11e3-9cd5-0019bb30f31a.html

I never realized that the producers had the right to edit out an entire segment the way this article is saying... at least they\'re still getting their prizes, that\'s good to know.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:42:45 PM »

I never realized that the producers had the right to edit out an entire segment the way this article is saying...

As opposed to, what, being mandated BY LAW to include something in the show?

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »

I read the article. Am I to infer that they didn\'t air the whole segment just for continuity? Because that\'s legit.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:35 AM »

I read the article. Am I to infer that they didn\'t air the whole segment just for continuity? Because that\'s legit.

To try and tie this all up; it\'s my understanding that if it doesn\'t air you\'re not obligated to pay the contestants what they \"won,\" but what\'s to stop the show from doing 70 or 80 minutes of content and picking the \"best\" segments to slug in before the Middling Deal? If they decide that a car winner just isn\'t that interesting, it gets left on the cutting room floor. After all, there aren\'t any laws about having to air what you tape.
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »

To try and tie this all up; it\'s my understanding that if it doesn\'t air you\'re not obligated to pay the contestants what they \"won,\" but what\'s to stop the show from doing 70 or 80 minutes of content and picking the \"best\" segments to slug in before the Middling Deal? If they decide that a car winner just isn\'t that interesting, it gets left on the cutting room floor. After all, there aren\'t any laws about having to air what you tape.

If that were the way they were doing it, I think it would be smart to throw a disclaimer in the credits stating that some parts may not have been aired, but that all contestants will receive whatever prizes they won, regardless of if their segment aired or not (assuming they meet eligibility requirements, of course)

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »

If that were the way they were doing it, I think it would be smart to throw a disclaimer in the credits stating that some parts may not have been aired, but that all contestants will receive whatever prizes they won, regardless of if their segment aired or not (assuming they meet eligibility requirements, of course)

Why? How many viewers out there do you think have the first inkling things like this might be happening?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 12:56:18 AM »
And in that case, make it a web-only extra content thing.
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »

And in that case, make it a web-only extra content thing.

This I could actually see them doing, maybe a way to get hits on their youtube page

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »

From what I\'ve read in the article, it was Wayne\'s awkward interactions with this group of people that caused their segment not to air, and perhaps his reaction to getting paint on his jacket was awkward. I don\'t see why it would be so much trouble for Wayne to change jackets mid show, but Wayne should know by now to expect the unexpected in terms of how contestants react and possibly being bodily harmed or getting your wardrobe ruined.  Regardless, I wonder if contestants appearing on the show are told in advance that for various reasons, they may edit segments out and may not appear on TV, but will win whatever they won regardless. The only contestant(s) they couldn\'t edit out are the ones that end up going for the Big Deal. 

Granted TPIR has made mistakes in choosing contestants that turn out to either turn to mush, suddenly act uninterested, or worse, act like \"Mr. Bigshot that is more interested in acting like a fool on TV over winning prizes\", but the producers of LMAD should also know better. 

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »

One would think Wayne could take the paint coming off and make a spontaneous, funny moment out of it. Maybe that\'s the difference between improvisation and \"improv.\" Of course they can edit out or redo anything they want, but it\'s a shame. 

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 12:30:20 PM »

Usually, when something is edited, there\'s a disclaimer: \"Portions of the program not affecting the outcome of the competition have been edited.\"  Shouldn\'t there be something similar in a situation like this?  (Or is it not \"affecting the outcome\" if they weren\'t asked to go for the Big Deal?  Speaking of which, I wonder what would have happened if they did end up having a chance to go for the Big Deal?  It would have been much harder to edit them out...)

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »

Speaking of which, I wonder what would have happened if they did end up having a chance to go for the Big Deal?  It would have been much harder to edit them out...)

Only if they said yes.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »

I posted a link to this story a week ago http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php?showtopic=25349&p=317026\'>in a different thread.  At the time, I made a passing comment about it being poorly written.  I think it would be very hard to assume anything at all about what the show does or does not do based on the recollections of a couple of contestants filtered through the writings of what I can only imagine is an inexperienced fellow student.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »

Wouldn\'t this be similar to door prizes?  \"A member of our studio audience has won a month\'s supply of Rice-A-Roni...\"  We don\'t have to know who won or see how the winner was selected.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:52:06 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.