Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two CBS Television City questions  (Read 2128 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

Two CBS Television City questions
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »

I have always been intrigued by CBS Television City. I think it is the greatest television studio to come out of Hollywood, CA. With that said, I have two questions about it:

1) How exactly do they change the studio floor from white to black and back again in each of the studios?

2) CBS Television City began with four different soundstages: 31, 33, 41, 43. 31 and 33 were built with permanent audience seating, but 31\'s was later covered in concrete. When exactly was that?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 01:49:14 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »

1) How exactly do they change the studio floor from white to black and back again in each of the studios?

My guess is modular panels that sit atop the stage and interlock similarly to my pergo floor. It seems like it would be tedious to paint the floor black then white then back to black for whatever tapes there; and Card Sharks had its own designs, either the blue flowers or card suits where the TPIR red flowers would be.
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »

My guess is modular panels that sit atop the stage and interlock similarly to my pergo floor. It seems like it would be tedious to paint the floor black then white then back to black for whatever tapes there; and Card Sharks had its own designs, either the blue flowers or card suits where the TPIR red flowers would be.

This. I remember seeing a time-lapse video of a crew setting up for Hollywood Squares in the early 2000s, and they had a few guys putting down black tiles.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:15:28 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

Yep, except the panels don\'t interlock.

The TPIR flowers (and presumably the Card Sharks shapes) are large vinyl stickers that can be removed or replaced as needed. Each TPIR daisy is made up of six identical petals that all sit atop one another in the center (as opposed to being one big flower-shaped decal).