Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Returning Viewer  (Read 3715 times)

The Pyramids

Returning Viewer
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »

After more than a year I have been recording the \'Price Is Right\' again. I still sat that there are a lot of guys out there who can do a better job than Drew. However I must say I like a lot of the visual changes the show has made, and the contagious fun of the show got to me again.

Has anyone else had a show that they came back to and enjoyed again?  

Jimmy Owen

Returning Viewer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »

Password when it switched to All-Stars in 74.

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Johnissoevil

Returning Viewer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

Has anyone else had a show that they came back to and enjoyed again? 

Back in 1980, my family and I stopped watching Joker\'s Wild and Tic Tac Dough.  In 1982,  a few months after Joker moved from WOR to WCBS, we started watching that again, along with TTD, which had moved to mornings.  I wasn\'t too fond of the audience game at first, being it took up time that a regular game could be played, but it grew on me after awhile.  Wheel is another example.  I stopped watching after Chuck Woolery left (he ain\'t coming back, sorry!).  I didn\'t like Sajak at first just from looking at him.  That lasted over a year, I started watching it again when the nighttime version started airing in NYC, and then Pat and Vanna grew on me.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:44:08 PM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Returning Viewer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Inexplicably I\'ve come back to watching Wheel of Fortune. The $1,000 Express (with obligatory whistle-pull motion) is an interesting additions. For a time I didn\'t watch Jeopardy; I thought it was too focused on pop culture and Alex\'s personality chafed. Then I got over it and I\'ve been a regular viewer ever since.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Returning Viewer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »

I haven\'t watched Jeopardy in a while, mainly due to working evenings. The nights I\'m off, by the time I get home I\'m just too tired to watch any TV. Every so often, I\'ll tune in to keep my mind challenged. Even in middle/high school and college, it was a show I\'d watch for a few months, take a \"break\" from, then come back to...

Most of the other shows either air in the mornings around here, or simply turn me off.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:07:15 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

jage

Returning Viewer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »

Minority opinion here, but Feud since the Harvey episodes. I liked John as a host but the show had lost its lighthearted touch. I could take or leave the innuendo questions, but the show is just more fun to watch for me ow. Jeopardy I take in phases, largely depending on my schedule at the time. Most of these examples seem to involve a host change. I also stopped watching WBSM after Jimmy left but came back some for the final season.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Returning Viewer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
That\'s a good one; I grabbed Feud on the Tivo to see Steve, and after the downward spiral I nuked the season pass.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Returning Viewer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
I\'m not a regular Wheel watcher but I tend to choose it more since the introduction of the Bonus Wheel. Ain\'t much else on.

Ken Jennings and the UTOC got me back into watching Jeopardy! full-time.

I watch Millionaire a lot more since they adopted the shuffle, and I\'m in a pretty big minority (I think) when I say the adoption of the RandoQuiz first round was the best thing they\'ve done.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

Returning Viewer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
While the format for Regis\' and most of Meredith\'s run is most synonymous with the Millionaire format, I actually don\'t mind what they\'ve done, considering that even with lifelines, the original format was still a pretty pedestrian trivia game on paper.

I think it\'s a rare case of a radical change actually being a great idea in the end.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

tvmitch

Returning Viewer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »

While the format for Regis\' and most of Meredith\'s run is most synonymous with the Millionaire format, I actually don\'t mind what they\'ve done, considering that even with lifelines, the original format was still a pretty pedestrian trivia game on paper.

I think it\'s a rare case of a radical change actually being a great idea in the end.

Not to go off on a bit of a tangent here, but I\'m going to go there anyway.

Go the opposite direction. At this point, what would happen if Millionaire went back to its original format? 15 questions, $1 million, 3 lifelines. Tension. No celebrities. For a couple weeks as a prime event, or maybe a month in daytime.

Would it be a success in either daytime or prime, or both? Would viewers tune in to watch, even though the format has been twisted and pulled in so many directions the last (almost) 15 years? (Yikes, 15 years!)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:15:09 AM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

Returning Viewer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »

I think it would still work to invoke a bit of nostalgia. I think back to the 10th anniversary week with Regis (or even Super Millionaire), where they brought back Fastest Finger rounds, something the syndicated version never had.

IIRC, by 2009, they\'d already instituted the categories and countdown clock on the daytime edition, so you\'d already had one big change, while the original format was airing as a primetime special. If it\'s just a seasonal week-long event (sweeps), I think it could work, and maybe call it \"Classic Millionaire\".

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 11:30:01 AM by BrandonFG »

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Returning Viewer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

I seem to recall phasing out from J! and Wheel around 1995. We would watch it with an older couple, and when they died, mom and I just kinda moved away from the show. A few years later, I must\'ve gotten wind of the electronic board or something. I remember turning it on ca. 1998 and being upset that the board was electronic, and that the theme music wasn\'t Changing Keys anymore. I also felt that both Pat and Alex seemed much colder than I remember, and didn\'t pay any mind to the show again.

But starting in 2002, mom would turn them on when folding the laundry or doing other things in the living room, which just happened to be where our computer was. Little by little, I started tuning in regularly again, and have stayed the path ever since. Bonus wheel? Yeah, I liked the W-H-E-E-L envelopes but more variety is good. More categories? Hey, that\'s neat that they ask a question after the puzzle. (I wonder why this was phased out in the past five years.) Pat has at least one funny moment per episode. And you know what, I can get a hold of this puzzle solving thing pretty well. Jeopardy! clues? Sure, let\'s watch a few games and see how I do. Oh hey, I didn\'t know that. Oh, sweet, a category on something I know forward and backward. Look at that, I got Final Jeopardy! right and none of the players did. And actually, looking back to early 90s J! episodes on YouTube, Alex seems at his coldest and most distant there. I prefer the more jovial Alex of today.

Bobby Peacock