Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nickelodeon launches new game show  (Read 7519 times)

colonial

Nickelodeon launches new game show
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »

The cable channel has given a 40-episode commitment to \"Go Viral\" from Ryan Seacrest\'s production company (Seacrest will co-EP) ... show is expected to premiere next summer.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/13/nickelodeon-greenlights-40-episodes-of-game-show-go-viral/215449/\'>http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/13/nickelodeon-greenlights-40-episodes-of-game-show-go-viral/215449/

JD

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

Beat me to posting this. I would say that I can\'t possibly think of a dumber idea then this, but I said the same thing about, for example, Family Game Night - and besides, I\'m not either show\'s target audience.

Come to think of it, didn\'t Nickelodeon already commit to a slow-motion camera game show they were calling \"Split/Second\"? (The punctuation mark was added, of course, to differentiate this show from the one Tom Kennedy hosted).

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:56:37 AM by DoItRockapella »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

(The punctuation mark was added, of course, to differentiate this show from the one Tom Kennedy hosted).

Because Nickelodeon, of course, has never in its history had a game show that shared its title with a quiz show from the 1970s.  Since, of course, its target audience of twelve year olds was, of course, bound to be confused.

Of course.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »

To clarify: what I said was meant as a joke. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:24:47 PM by DoItRockapella »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
That would have made for a helluva April Fools Joke: \"Due to low ratings we\'re making some changes. To start, let\'s bring on the Spoilers!\"

I refuse to use an emoticon to signal my intent; it should be manifestly clear from my word choice and inferences from other posts in the thread.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

I would say that I can\'t possibly think of a dumber idea then this, but I said the same thing about, for example, Family Game Night

There are certainly dumber things you could air, but the press release doesn\'t make it sound very entertaining.

This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »

I refuse to use an emoticon to signal my intent; it should be manifestly clear from my word choice and inferences from other posts in the thread.

I think you are likely to be very, very disappointed with your experience here, then.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »

Street Smarts meets Ridiculousness?

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
For me it sounds double odd: isn\'t the point of a viral video that something interesting or unexpected happens? Wouldn\'t you always pick that option from the choices?

The other thing: growing up what I liked about the really good Nickelodeon games is that they gave kids the chance to do something they couldn\'t do in their normal lives. (To that end I thought Make the Grade missed the mark widely, but Get the Picture was interesting enough that to me it didn\'t matter) Guessing the outcome of videos isn\'t on the same strata as becoming a video game hero or ransacking a two-story house with no consequences. Legends gave you the chance to pretend to be Indiana Jones, if only for three minutes.
Travis L. Eberle

brianhenke

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
Well, Let\'s hope Nick can have another successful game show again...if it\'s successful, maybe kids can become lifelong fans of the genre.

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »

Well, Let\'s hope Nick can have another successful game show again...if it\'s successful, maybe kids can become lifelong fans of the genre.

Brian

.....or they could just become an average casual viewer like most.

MTCesquire

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »

Street Smarts meets Ridiculousness?

I was thinking Tosh.0 with prizes but I like your description better.

jimlangefan

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »

Brian

To be honest growing up, I really didn\'t like the game shows just for kids.  I only watched them if nothing else was on.  For example, when I was 7 years old in 1990 at 4 PM I had the choices of Get The Picture, Supermarket Sweep, Match Game, or The Challengers.  Get The Picture very rarely won that battle.  Usually I watched Match Game.

TV's Big Dealer

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »

Brian

To be honest growing up, I really didn\'t like the game shows just for kids.  I only watched them if nothing else was on.  For example, when I was 7 years old in 1990 at 4 PM I had the choices of Get The Picture, Supermarket Sweep, Match Game, or The Challengers.  Get The Picture very rarely won that battle.  Usually I watched Match Game.

I\'d say it\'s pretty damn impossible for GTP to have won that battle considering it didn\'t make air until 1991.

And even then, wasn\'t it on at 6 PM for its entire run? Or am I just imagining that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »

It was definitely 6pm Eastern for at least the first season...don\'t remember after that. But I don\'t think Nick had a West coast feed back then, so maybe it aired at 4pm Mountain.

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!