Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Win at TPIR Without Knowing Prices  (Read 8058 times)

Mike Tennant

How to Win at TPIR Without Knowing Prices
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »

Slate\'s Ben Blatt has come up with a http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/11/winning_the_price_is_right_strategies_for_contestants_row_plinko_and_the.html\'>handy guide to applying game theory to all the pricing games, including Contestants\' Row, the Big Wheel, and something called the Showcase Showdown, which is distinct from spinning the wheel. You\'d think anyone who spent as much time compiling this cheat sheet as Blatt did wouldn\'t have made such a boo-boo, but he did. It\'s been corrected in the article but not in the cheat sheet. (By the way, the point of this post is not to gripe about that common mistake but to direct people to the article.)

Fedya

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »
Hit Me used to be a gimme, but the contestants seemed to be even more clueless at basic arithmetic than Dick Clark.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »

Interesting stuff...haven\'t had a chance to pore over it completely, but he lists the Double Prices strategy as the 1 Right Price strategy (by mistake I imagine), and his theory on Spelling Bee is invalid, because it supposes the contestant knows what letter they have after each pick.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
Current contestants win Grand Game about one in three times. He says \"guess randomly,\" which is silly because the game is about finding the least expensive items. Using his strategy you\'ll win one in fifteen times. Woo haw.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »

Taking away what we know about product descriptions, if there are always two \"Then\", the short version reads like this:

• Start somewhere on the pie, and say \"Now\".

• Continue along the pie until you either win, or encounter \"Then\".

• When you encounter \"Then\", hit all boxes except for the one opposite the \"Then\" you encountered.  Continue saying \"Now\" no matter what.

• You will either:
    • Encounter the second \"Then\", which means you can make three consecutive \"Now\" safely, or

• Not encounter the second \"Then\", which means that the last box is the second \"Then\"

• Enjoy your new kitchen.

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

Current contestants win Grand Game about one in three times. He says \"guess randomly,\" which is silly because the game is about finding the least expensive items.

He also says he recommends these strategies when you are unsure of the prices. It\'s safe to say if you know the treadmill is $1500, ignore what he says, and do what it takes to win.

But overall, if people come to the studio with this thinking they have the show beat, a lot of people are going to go home disappointed. Unfairly so, because he makes it clear it\'s not foolproof, but there\'s going to be those folks.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »

Current contestants win Grand Game about one in three times. He says \"guess randomly,\" which is silly because the game is about finding the least expensive items. Using his strategy you\'ll win one in fifteen times. Woo haw.

No, what he\'s saying is that if you employ strategy that has zero to do with guess items, you\'ll win 1 in 15 times.  Grand Game is one of the games that requires pricing knowledge to win.

This is why the obvious Cover-Up strategy isn\'t listed; it requires a pricing-based selection.  An obvious one, but pricing-based nonetheless.

Note that where some strategy exists, it\'s based sometimes based on observation of habits. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:45:21 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »

No, what he\'s saying is that if you employ strategy that has zero to do with guess items, you\'ll win 1 in 15 times.  Grand Game is one of the games that requires pricing knowledge to win.

No wonder my teachers were always concerned about reading comprehension.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »

\"If you\'re too stupid to know what things cost, good news!  I\'ll teach you principles of game theory!  You know, the stuff economists and generals spend their lives figuring out!\"

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:18:08 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dale_grass

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:06:04 PM »
I can\'t wait for the day I\'m reading Cracked and there in the right margin is a GIF with blinking neon colors centered on the Price dollar sign with the caption \'Slate Author Discovers One Weird Trick to Winning The Price Is Right\'.

And a correction was made today regarding the name of the spinning of the wheel.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:06:25 PM by dale_grass »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »

The guy was interviewed on All Things Considered tonight.  Most of the stuff he touted as \"game theory\" would be better described as \"common sense\", including the shocking revelation that the person in the fourth position on Contestants Row would probably do pretty well to bid one dollar more than the highest bid among the other three.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »

The guy was interviewed on All Things Considered tonight.  Most of the stuff he touted as \"game theory\" would be better described as \"common sense\", including the shocking revelation that the person in the fourth position on Contestants Row would probably do pretty well to bid one dollar more than the highest bid among the other three.

It\'s been my experience that the people who throw around the term \"game theory\" in an effort to make the information they are presenting seem more important don\'t really have a full grasp of what \"game theory\" really is.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

It\'s been my experience that the people who throw around the term \"game theory\" in an effort to make the information they are presenting seem more important don\'t really have a full grasp of what \"game theory\" really is.

There\'s certainly a difference between exploiting behavior (\"good old rock, nothing beats that.\") patterns and \"If you approach Grocery Game like a hole of golf you have a better chance of winning it.\"

The Cliff Hangers and Rat Race tips (especially Rat Race: If they give you a dollar amount range, your bid should be no less than twice the range) are great. I think it would be much more valuable to have things like \"If you think you can get between ten and twelve dollars, pick something and go for the win. If you can\'t do it, pick one of an item-going over costs you a second chance.\" It isn\'t game theory to say that if Seecret X is played for a car, the X will be in the eight-hole, or if it is Bonus Game, that the fourth item likely has the bonus, and you may want to consider swerving from your gut instinct. That\'s more akin to knowing which way the goalie is likely to dive when he\'s defending against a penalty kick, and weighing whether you should kick to your strong or weak side, and maybe it\'s worth a weak kick if the goalie is going to dive the wrong way. Playing the Punch Board? Make a Tetris piece around the lower right corner, but don\'t punch that one out. And so on.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

And I\'m not talking about the utility of any of the tips, some of which I am sure are quite useful. I\'m saying that applying the pretentious term \"game theory\" to it would be like me suggesting that a simple explanation of how farking magnets work is a discussion of \"quantum physics.\"

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »
Indeed. I think there\'s a video linked in the AV section where some doof applies \"game theory\" [sic] to Pay the Rent, where his analysis amounts to \"be correct.\" Game theory is a fascinating field and I enjoy reading about it, but this particular kind of probability analysis doesn\'t enter into it.
Travis L. Eberle