Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Name Game  (Read 5442 times)

JakeT

Celebrity Name Game
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »

And sometimes I like to watch a thing the same time as other people, to have a feeling of community that doesn\'t exist if I time-shift the episode.

Sir, you are clearly a better man than I...of all the feelings I\'ve gotten from watching \"live\" TV throughout my life, a sense of community was never one of them...

JakeT

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Celebrity Name Game
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »

but when comparing the cost of a DVR (and any recurring charges) versus other entertainment choices,

There are plenty of people who simply don\'t have it in their budget to *have* entertainment choices.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Celebrity Name Game
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:53 AM »

I don\'t have the budget for a DVR (though I do have a DVD-RW recorder that I\'ll sometimes use if I\'m not home). For programs that I\'m really looking forward to, I find that it makes the show feel more like an \"event\" when I know that it\'s going to start at a specific time. There\'s not that same subconscious sense of excitement when I know I could watch it at any old time.

Plus, some shows just feel more right in their intended time slots. \"Saturday Night Live\" is funnier when it\'s past midnight and you\'re kind of sleepy, as opposed to at 4:00 in the afternoon.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:53:12 AM by MSTieScott »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Celebrity Name Game
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 03:17:35 AM »
I\'m reminded, with what Scott said, of the time I tried watching A Christmas Story in the summertime.

Other Christmas films such as the first two Home Alones (the other ones don\'t count to me), Christmas Vacation, and a few others you can really watch any time of year. (I mean, Home Alone wasn\'t top dog at the box office for three months just because people wanted to celebrate Christmas for another month.)

But some are meant just to be watched during the holiday season. And A Christmas Story is one of them.

/in my opinion, the holiday season starts on October 31

//that\'s still no excuse for some stores to be putting out Christmas stuff in September

///AND I hear they\'re making a sequel to It\'s A Wonderful Life

////really?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

trainman

Celebrity Name Game
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »

Plus, some shows just feel more right in their intended time slots. \"Saturday Night Live\" is funnier when it\'s past midnight and you\'re kind of sleepy, as opposed to at 4:00 in the afternoon.

True...but it\'s so nice to start watching it at 12:15 A.M. and be able to fast-forward through the commercials (and any sketches that look like they\'re going to be horrible after the first 10 seconds -- come to think of it, maybe 12:30 is a better time to start watching).
trainman is a man of trains