Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A TPIR game, WLOD, and lawsuits(?)  (Read 2416 times)

gamed121683

A TPIR game, WLOD, and lawsuits(?)
« on: December 28, 2003, 09:37:02 PM »
I was thinking about copyright infringments the other day and I was wondering the following...

1) The "TPIR" game "Let Em' Roll" which is pretty much a giltzy version of "Yahtzee". I wonder why Bob or Freemantle Media have yet to here from Hasbro's lawyers.

2) "WLOD" which is practically "Pictionary" for dollars. When that show was on the air in the late 80's, did they ever here from Rob Angel or the board game company's attorneys.

-Just curious, group. Don't mind my oddness.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 12:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Dec 28 2003, 09:37 PM\']I was thinking about copyright infringments the other day and I was wondering the following...

1) The "TPIR" game "Let Em' Roll" which is pretty much a giltzy version of "Yahtzee". I wonder why Bob or Freemantle Media have yet to here from Hasbro's lawyers.[/quote]
Not exactly the same rules and no use of any of the distinctive design elements of Yahtzee.  No case.

2) "WLOD" which is practically "Pictionary" for dollars. When that show was on the air in the late 80's, did they ever here from Rob Angel or the board game company's attorneys.

Burt Reynolds could and probably did say that he was playing the game at his home years before "Pictionary" came on the market--and the creators of "Pictionary" could probably say that they were never invited to a party at Burt Reynolds' house.  Pure coincidence.

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 01:02:49 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 12:57 PM\'] Not exactly the same rules and no use of any of the distinctive design elements of Yahtzee.  No case.

[/quote]
 That, and the show has been off the air since 1988 and I'm not even sure it ran 13 weeks.

Unrelated Q: Was "Yahtzee!" a network or syndie show ? Just curious
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 01:43:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 01:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 12:57 PM\'] Not exactly the same rules and no use of any of the distinctive design elements of Yahtzee.  No case.

[/quote]
That, and the show has been off the air since 1988 and I'm not even sure it ran 13 weeks.

-Joe R. [/quote]
 I beat Zach to this.  What's my prize?

The show was syndicated.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 01:58:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 01:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 01:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 12:57 PM\'] Not exactly the same rules and no use of any of the distinctive design elements of Yahtzee.  No case.

[/quote]

-Joe R. [/quote]
I beat Zach to this.  What's my prize?

The show was syndicated. [/quote]
 Not so fast, you haven't won yet...you have to give the exact dates the show ran; month and year don't count. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

catkins522

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 03:37:28 PM »
Not so fast, you haven't won yet...you have to give the exact dates the show ran; month and year don't count.

OK....how about Jan. 11, 1988 to Sept. 30, 1988?

:-p

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 06:20:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 01:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 12:57 PM\'] Not exactly the same rules and no use of any of the distinctive design elements of Yahtzee.  No case.

[/quote]

[/quote]
 I think Yahtzee in this sense refers to the board game, not the game show which few remember.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 08:24:44 PM »
Well, I thought the Yahtzee show was based on the board game, much like Monopoly, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit were.

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 08:34:12 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 08:24 PM\'] Well, I thought the Yahtzee show was based on the board game, much like Monopoly, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit were. [/quote]
 The Yahtzee game show resembled the board game no more than TPIR's Let Em Roll resembles Yahtzee, in that a win in both cases requires getting five of a kind on the dice.