Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show announcers as Game show hosts  (Read 12314 times)

uncamark

Game show announcers as Game show hosts
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 12:25:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:59 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 11:48 AM\'] Marc Summers announced I Can't Believe You Said That, having hosted... um, that show... with the kids, and the daring, and the slime, and the obstacle course, among others. [/quote]
Marc's announcing debut was 25 years earlier than I Can't Believe You Said That, as a 22-year old Marc reportedly announced a week of CBS Joker's Wild in May 1973. [/quote]
Wasn't Marc also in the booth for the first month or so of The $1,000,000 Chance Of A Lifetime?[/quote]
Don't know about that, but I thought I saw somewhere that Marc also announced a few weeks of "Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak."

You can also add to Jim McKrell's announcing resume the 1987 Disney Channel series of "College Bowl," in which Dick Cavett swallowed his pride and did what he once said he'd never do--host a game show.  (Granted, it was "College Bowl," but...)  It would've been better for all concerned if Jim was the man with the questions--instead, he did "Smith, Columbia."

zachhoran

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 12:31:34 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 12:25 PM\']
Don't know about that, but I thought I saw somewhere that Marc also announced a few weeks of "Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak."

You can also add to Jim McKrell's announcing resume the 1987 Disney Channel series of "College Bowl," in which Dick Cavett swallowed his pride and did what he once said he'd never do--host a game show. [/quote]
 The EOTVGS does list Marc SUmmers as a one-time Hot Streak announcer.

Dick Cavett apparently felt ill at ease on that College Bowl revival, and didn't fare too much better on an Harry Lorayne(sp?) Memory Power infomercial circa 1994.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 02:50:05 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 10:45 PM\'] Well, this is pushing it, but...

"Last time on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'..."

"...and now, for night xxx of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?'"

I think this qualifies Regis Philbin as an announcer. [/quote]
 We might want to qualify Meredith Vieira as an announcer, too, since she's promoting the ticket and website plugs.

WorldClassRob

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 04:49:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 06:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 06:43 PM\'] I would guess Ron Maestri and Annie Wood don't count. [/quote]
They just didn't click into my mind at the time, since they hosted and announced SIMULTANEOUSLY, which is interesting.  

Come to think of it, I believe somebody once mentioned that Dick Clark (on tape) announced $20,000 Pyramid a few times after Bob Clayton's sudden passing, and I've seen some episodes of Wheel of Fortune on GSN, where Pat and Vanna announced the "parting gifts," I believe after Jack Clark died. [/quote]
 If I remember right, Charlie O'Donnell was announcing at the time Jack Clark passed on in 1988.  That was before Machine Gun Kelly took over the announcing duties for a few months.  Of course MG was gone once production moved from NBC Burbank to CBS Television City and Charlie O. returned.

Ron Maestri began his career in the 1980s as a "vee-jay", believe it or not, on a local television station in Las Vegas that aired exclusively music videos, very much in the same atmosphere as MTV.  Ron of course has come a long way since his "Vusic 21" days.

:)

ChuckNet

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 06:21:56 PM »
Of course MG was gone once production moved from NBC Burbank to CBS Television City and Charlie O. returned.

Actually, MG was gone before the move to TV City, Charlie O. having returned around Feb/Mar 1989 after production wrapped on the Barris shows he was then announcing for.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 06:24:30 PM »
Marc's announcing debut was 25 years earlier than I Can't Believe You Said That, as a 22-year old Marc reportedly announced a week of CBS Joker's Wild in May 1973.

And if GSN had kept the CBS eps on their sched a little while longer, we might have gotten to hear Marc's announcing debut...

ChuckNet

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 06:26:02 PM »
Not sure if this counts, but Jack Barry did "replacement" fee plugs on the syndie BtB '76 for the end-of-season reruns.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 06:51:25 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 05:21 PM\']
Of course MG was gone once production moved from NBC Burbank to CBS Television City and Charlie O. returned.

Actually, MG was gone before the move to TV City, Charlie O. having returned around Feb/Mar 1989 after production wrapped on the Barris shows he was then announcing for.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 So, did MG Kelly die, and if so, when, and of what did he die of?

zachhoran

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 07:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 06:51 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 05:21 PM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
So, did MG Kelly die, and if so, when, and of what did he die of? [/quote]
 MG Kelly isn't dead AFAIK, he just got replaced in early 1989 by Charlie O. I suppose the handwriting was on the wall for MG when DOn Pardo got the NYC announcing gigs on the RCMH-taped shows airing this week on GSN. Notice they didn't bring Pardo in for the more recent NYC WOF gigs or the J! gig a few years back. J! should most certainly have let Pardo announce the NYC gigs if available.

Pat and Vanna took turns announcing some of the Summer 1988 WOF rerun fee plugs, after Jack Clark passed. Jack tried to do some of them right before he passed, but his cancer made his voice sound less than stellar.

rugrats1

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2004, 12:11:42 AM »
MG Kelly isn't dead AFAIK, he just got replaced in early 1989 by Charlie O. I suppose the handwriting was on the wall for MG when DOn Pardo got the NYC announcing gigs on the RCMH-taped shows airing this week on GSN.

Of course, MG Kelly is still in the radio business -- he even has a weekly syndicated oldies program, "American Hit List". CDs of his shows (the real ones) are up for bids often on eBay -- here's the latest one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=43655

Also recently on eBay is an episode of another radio program from February 1989, "Master Control", an informational and inspirational program featuring various personalities. This particular episode featured MG Kelly talking about his announcing gig on "Wheel":

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2584660554

Get them while you still can.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 12:19:10 AM by rugrats1 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2004, 12:42:15 AM »
I saw MG on camera once on WOF, it was hard to tell what he looked like because for some reason he was dressed as Pagliacci.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2004, 03:04:23 AM »
Video exists on MG's site of him announcing and hosting an eppy of Wheel in the midst of Pat starting his talk show. Don't know if it was for a week or one show, but he actually had quite the host look going. He bantered with Vanna in the clip as well as introducing himself.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2004, 08:01:37 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:04 AM\'] Video exists on MG's site of him announcing and hosting an eppy of Wheel in the midst of Pat starting his talk show. Don't know if it was for a week or one show, but he actually had quite the host look going. He bantered with Vanna in the clip as well as introducing himself.

-Jason [/quote]
 I didn't remember Wheel having a guest host during Pat's talk show tenure. Did Rolf miss an episode or something causing MG to step in?

Don Howard

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2004, 06:08:11 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:04 AM\'] Video exists on MG's site of him announcing and hosting an eppy of Wheel in the midst of Pat starting his talk show. Don't know if it was for a week or one show, but he actually had quite the host look going. He bantered with Vanna in the clip as well as introducing himself. [/quote]
 Are you sure this isn't just an audition tape of MG Kelly hosting the show? Maybe he was considered as Pat's replacement until after a night of heavy drinking, the powers in the towers selected Rolf.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2004, 09:47:39 PM »
Are you sure this isn't just an audition tape of MG Kelly hosting the show?

Whoa, whoa people! :) I'm just going by the text that went with the clip. If anybody's wrong it's MG himself or the webmaster just confusing what he really said the clip was.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck