Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Make A Deal Question  (Read 3819 times)

cmjb13

Let's Make A Deal Question
« on: January 01, 2004, 01:50:26 PM »
This applies to any version.

Were the contestants on the trading floor pre-screened?

What determined if a person with a costume sat on the trading floor compared to someone who had a costume but wasn't able to be chosen?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 01:50:42 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

catkins522

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 02:12:30 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 01:50 PM\'] This applies to any version.

Were the contestants on the trading floor pre-screened?

What determined if a person with a costume sat on the trading floor compared to someone who had a costume but wasn't able to be chosen? [/quote]
 Well, looking at $DEAL$, they were pre-screened by the producer(s), but not Monty Hall.  If they were nice and got their attention to the producer, they were on.  Almost like pre-screening for TPiR.  If they do not have a costume or do not want to participate, no go.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 02:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 10:50 AM\']Were the contestants on the trading floor pre-screened?[/quote]
On all of Monty's episodes the contestants were all screened and preselected. Each seat on the trading floor had a number marked on the carpet/floor. Monty was given the seat numbers for each deal.

Monty hosted what is arguably the toughest game show format, and made it look so easy that I think he's sometimes underrated. Each show was different, and the script for each deal/game was pages long because of the various permutations on how the game could play out. If you never tried to read, digest, and become comfortably fluent with one of those games' scripts (there's one in the old Maxine Fabe book) you've really never had an Excedrin headache. It's full of "ifs" to cover all the possible scenarios of each contestant trading or keeping each prize/curtain/door/box.

There are no bells, buzers, lights, elaborate props, questions, puzzles or celebrities. The whole show is talk, and it flies or crashes and burns dependent upon the host's ability to elicit and then adlib off of the contestants' various spoken and non-verbal emotional responses... making real drama out of a simple "you want this or that"... and remaining likeable throughout the process of putting players on the spot and sometimes disappointing them.

Monty had to constantly steer that whole bus singlehandedly out of a million potential deadend streets (it's a metaphor). And it was all done without the safety net of the stop/start/retake style of production so damned prevalent these days.

Just my first thought of the new year. Feel free to disagree; I can later blame it all on the hangover   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 03:24:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 02:31 PM\'] Just my first thought of the new year. Feel free to disagree; I can later blame it all on the hangover   ;-)
 [/quote]
 You're pretty much dead on.

That show, TPIR and Treasure Hunt are all shows that would tank without the right host.

Brandon Brooks

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 03:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 02:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 10:50 AM\']Were the contestants on the trading floor pre-screened?[/quote]
On all of Monty's episodes the contestants were all screened and preselected. Each seat on the trading floor had a number marked on the carpet/floor. Monty was given the seat numbers for each deal.
 [/quote]
 Was the contestant number in the Door #4 feature on the "All New LMAD" pre-selected as well, or was that a totally random number?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 04:25:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 12:24 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 02:31 PM\'] Just my first thought of the new year. Feel free to disagree; I can later blame it all on the hangover   ;-)
 [/quote]

Brandon Brooks[/quote]
You're an authority on the production of Let's Make A Deal now?

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 05:07:07 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:40 PM\']Was the contestant number in the Door #4 feature on the "All New LMAD" pre-selected as well, or was that a totally random number?[/quote]
Pretty sure it's random.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 05:07:22 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 05:28:54 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:07 PM\'] [quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 03:40 PM\']Was the contestant number in the Door #4 feature on the "All New LMAD" pre-selected as well, or was that a totally random number?[/quote]
Pretty sure it's random. [/quote]
As am I. The reasoning being that sometimes the person selected to play Door #4 would be a contestant who had just participated in a deal.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 05:29:22 PM by Don Howard »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 05:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 04:25 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 12:24 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 02:31 PM\'] Just my first thought of the new year. Feel free to disagree; I can later blame it all on the hangover   ;-)
 [/quote]

Brandon Brooks[/quote]
You're an authority on the production of Let's Make A Deal now? [/quote]
 No, but his description of why it could be so challenging is.

Brandon Brooks