Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts Drive In To Work  (Read 9366 times)

Jim

Hosts Drive In To Work
« on: December 30, 2003, 08:06:25 PM »
Pat Sajak noted on WOF tonight that he and Vanna drive themselves in to work for each taping.  I know it's a minor point, but do any of you know if this is true of most game show personalities?  I just can't imagine Bob Barker, (or in their day Allen Ludden, Bill Cullen, or Jack Barry) pulling the car out of the garage and driving down I-10 or whatever to get the studio.  Aren't they pampered a little more than that?  (Maybe this was true in the 50's through 70's in NYC when panelists regularly frequented the area for multiple purposes?)
- If it's true, do they park in a special parking area or should I expect to see Alex Trebek angling in next to me next time I attend a taping?  Crew and staff maybe, but not a host.
BTW, Happy New Year (or as John Daly said, a most happy 1962 to all!)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 08:08:35 PM by Jim »

zachhoran

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 08:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 08:06 PM\'] Pat Sajak noted on WOF tonight that he and Vanna drive themselves in to work for each taping.  I know it's a minor point, but do any of you know if this is true of most game show personalities? [/quote]
 Geoff Edwards mentioned on his Radio Tonight show in 2000 that Bob Stewart would often take the bus into work.

cmjb13

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 08:18:14 PM »
I recall seeing a feature (might have been a bio) of a day in the life of Pat Sajak. They showed him driving to work, bringing his wardrobe, etc...

Barker does drive himself, although I'd question for how many more years.

Some of the CBS parking lot spots are named and reserved, so most people do drive themselves.

Only noticeable spots I've seen are "Announcer" and "S. Vinnedge" (I once parked in his spot)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 08:20:17 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Winkfan

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 08:46:03 PM »
I just can't imagine Bob Barker, (or in their day Allen Ludden, Bill Cullen, or Jack Barry) pulling the car out of the garage and driving down I-10 or whatever to get the studio.  Aren't they pampered a little more than that?
I attended a Press Your Luck taping back in 1985; and while I was waiting to get in, I could've sworn I saw Peter Tomarken driving up to the Television City studio gate in a beautiful black Porsche. (Well, he was wearing shades; that is, from what I saw from the waiting area.)

You know, I disagree that all hosts are 'pampered.' If they want to drive (or even take the bus) to the studios themselves, that's their business. It only goes to show that they're making a living just like regular folk do.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Gail Sheldon of the Big Board!'

I just made my 100th post! YABBA DABBA DOO!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:34:38 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

HSquares2003

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 09:07:11 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 08:18 PM\'] I recall seeing a feature (might have been a bio) of a day in the life of Pat Sajak. They showed him driving to work, bringing his wardrobe, etc...

Some of the CBS parking lot spots are named and reserved, so most people do drive themselves.

Only noticeable spots I've seen are "Announcer" and "S. Vinnedge" (I once parked in his spot) [/quote]
 I believe somebody on the old MSN TPIR board had a pic. of Barker's wheels parked in the lot. Not sure who was it though, check Golden-road.net and see if maybe Marc posted it in the new picture galleries.

inturnaround

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 09:10:33 PM »
Oddly enough, I was watching a rerun of Larry King Live last night and Ed McMahon said that Carson drove himself to the studio every day in his Corvette and that Ed thought it was odd because Ed had a driver.

I guess if they wanted a driver they could have one, but they like to drive. Some people love it. (Not the traffic, natch...but the driving)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

goongas

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 09:22:47 PM »
When I attended WWTBAM during its second week of taping, I saw Regis hurriedly leave the studio and walk into his car with a chauffeur waiting.  (I was walking out of the building the same instant he was).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 09:26:16 PM by goongas »

tvrandywest

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 09:23:23 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 05:18 PM\']I recall seeing a feature (might have been a bio) of a day in the life of Pat Sajak. They showed him driving to work, bringing his wardrobe, etc...

Only noticeable spots I've seen are "Announcer" and "S. Vinnedge" (I once parked in his spot)[/quote]
Most of the West coast hosts I know or have worked with all usually drive themselves. From Wink to Wahlberg, Tom Kennedy to GSN Kennedy, Trebek to Thicke, Newton to Nicotero. George Gray, Leno and several others are car aficionatos with a different vehicle every day. Out of town talent such as Maury ("21") and Anne Robinson get the limo treatment, as do celebrity guests. Mark Wahlberg did use a car for one gig I recall.

I would hope that Mr. Barker will continue to drive himself for a long time to come. He's really in great shape with good reflexes. Certainly the best 80 I've ever seen. I think he's doing fine; his car has no dings, dents or scratches!

The parking spots you reference at TV City are near the artists entrance. But that "announcer" spot is not for the "Price" announcer. There is a lot more that goes on in that building (!) and some of it involves announcers, such as the network promos and breaks. The "Price" announcer is lucky enough to park next to Barker in a separate area that is more convenient and is under constant security surveillance. Those spots are NOT marked with the name of the assignee.

You can stop reading here. The rest is me just reminiscing about New York!

As a juicy Macintosh off the Big Apple tree, I feel confident in responding that most New Yorkers who work in the city (Manhattan) don't drive to work. It's mass transit from the outer boroughs or from across the river. A monthly parking spot in the city costs more than most monthly mortgage payments in other cities. A great many Manhattanites don't even own cars, choosing instead to use the financial savings from non-existant car payments, insurance, repairs, and gas on cabs. Some actually garage their cars near the train stations in Westchester county or on Long Island for weekend road trips.

To my knowledge the New York folk you're talking about - hosts, panelists, etc. - past and present - who actually live in the city use car services. Howard Stern, as well as a friend of mine who was a neighbor of Rush Limbaugh's, when sleeping in the city, are pretty much typical of the many Manhattanites who have a car pick them up daily for the trip to and from work. To this day, all the NY based talk shows have standing relationships with car services for their hosts and guests.

I miss the city... until I'm there for 4 or 5 days!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 09:38:59 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Skynet74

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 09:26:42 PM »
I Went to see To Tell The Truth back in 2000 and saw John O'Hurley pull into the lot. At NBC many stars have their own spaces. Back in 1983 when I went to see Dream House, Bob Eubanks had his white El Camino in his. Leno always drives one of his many cars to work and Letterman on the opposite coast does the same.
Not as many celebrities use a Limo on a regular basis as you may think. It's a lot more fun to drive.

John

Jim

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 10:20:25 PM »
Randy's post about New York traffic reminded me of a recent conversation I had with someone about their old days of commuting from Connecticut into Manhattan daily.  Following the litany of transfers (drive to the Stamford train station to get to Grand Central - switch at GRand Central to catch your subway route - then catch a bus connection - then get the second next bus, but not the express bus and you're there in 2 hours) I felt like a beleaguered What's My Line panelist following one of Mr. Daly's long explanations.  I was still back at, "What if you can't find a parking space at the train station?"

calliaume

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 10:35:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 09:23 PM\'] As a juicy Macintosh off the Big Apple tree, I feel confident in responding that most New Yorkers who work in the city (Manhattan) don't drive to work. It's mass transit from the outer boroughs or from across the river. A monthly parking spot in the city costs more than most monthly mortgage payments in other cities. A great many Manhattanites don't even own cars, choosing instead to use the financial savings from non-existant car payments, insurance, repairs, and gas on cabs. Some actually garage their cars near the train stations in Westchester county or on Long Island for weekend road trips.

To my knowledge the New York folk you're talking about - hosts, panelists, etc. - past and present - who actually live in the city use car services. Howard Stern, as well as a friend of mine who was a neighbor of Rush Limbaugh's, when sleeping in the city, are pretty much typical of the many Manhattanites who have a car pick them up daily for the trip to and from work. To this day, all the NY based talk shows have standing relationships with car services for their hosts and guests.

I miss the city... until I'm there for 4 or 5 days!
 [/quote]
 As another expatriate New Yorker, I can vouch for Randy's statement:  you don't own a car if you live in New York City.  (Well, Staten Island, and maybe the outer reaches of Queens or the Bronx, but that's it.)  I lived in or around the city for 13 years, and only owned a car for one of them (because my wife was making a nighttime commute to scenic Newark, NJ).  It's crazy expensive to maintain your car if you purchase parking, and nerve-wracking if you need to worry about anti-theft devices and alternate side of the street parking.

I can't imagine any of the NY-based hosts and celebrities (Cullen, Rayburn, Carlisle, Blyden, Regis, etc.) doing anything but taking limos or car services.  They were all long-time New Yorkers and must have been used to it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 10:40:51 PM »
Randy has attested to the fact that just about every emcee based in LA-LA land drives/drove himself to work. Based on what I've learned about other emcees, they can also cut their own food, tie their own shoes and bathe themselves.

Besides Ed McMahon being limoed to the Tonight show, the only exception might have been Richard Dawson going to FF. I can't say for sure whether Richard had a limo, but if you asked Howard Felsher he'd probably tell you Richard flew to the studio on a broomstick.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 10:58:08 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 10:40 PM\'] Besides Ed McMahon being limoed to the Tonight show, the only exception might have been Richard Dawson going to FF. I can't say for sure whether Richard had a limo, but if you asked Howard Felsher he'd probably tell you Richard flew to the studio on a broomstick. [/quote]
Great, Chris.  And I suppose our member, GSWitch flew him there?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 10:58:17 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 11:47:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 10:40 PM\'] Randy has attested to the fact that just about every emcee based in LA-LA land drives/drove himself to work. Based on what I've learned about other emcees, they can also cut their own food, tie their own shoes and bathe themselves.

Besides Ed McMahon being limoed to the Tonight show, the only exception might have been Richard Dawson going to FF. I can't say for sure whether Richard had a limo, but if you asked Howard Felsher he'd probably tell you Richard flew to the studio on a broomstick. [/quote]
Jamie Locklin had a clip from Feud, where an actor posing as a cop tries to write a "ticket" (before mangling his words). He mentioned a black Cadillac, but it could've all been part of the routine.

In Vanna's autobio, I think there's a picture of her getting out of a Mercedes convertible. She had an outfit draped over her shoulder.

With that in mind, does Matt Ottinger drive to "QuizBusters," or does he get a chauffeur as well? ;-)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 11:49:51 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Hosts Drive In To Work
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 11:52:36 PM »
One of the things that the gang at the radio station that I work at (that Mr. Sajak owns) told me is that he drives himself around... in a Ford Crown Victoria.  Apparently he doesn't want a big flashy car, from what he's told our sales manager.  He gives those to his wife.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 11:54:56 PM by bossjock967 »
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum