Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show hosts on Rose Parade  (Read 3069 times)

Jimmy Owen

Game show hosts on Rose Parade
« on: January 02, 2004, 09:22:45 PM »
I think Bob Eubanks has done it locally for many years, who else in the game show community did a stint as a commentator on the Rose Parade?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 09:44:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:22 PM\'] I think Bob Eubanks has done it locally for many years, who else in the game show community did a stint as a commentator on the Rose Parade? [/quote]
 Bob Barker hosted it at one point, no?

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 10:23:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:22 PM\'] I think Bob Eubanks has done it locally for many years, who else in the game show community did a stint as a commentator on the Rose Parade? [/quote]
Bob Barker hosted it at one point, no? [/quote]
 Alex Trebek
Betty White
Doug Davidson
Bill Cullen
Bess Myerson

Reege was Grand Marshall in 2002.

GSWitch

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 10:39:48 PM »
Pat Sajak did a Torunament of Roses on NBC.

WorldClassRob

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 10:09:05 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 09:22 PM\'] I think Bob Eubanks has done it locally for many years, who else in the game show community did a stint as a commentator on the Rose Parade? [/quote]
Bob Barker hosted it at one point, no? [/quote]
 Bob Barker has indeed hosted the Tournament of Roses Parade for CBS Television during New Year's Day for several years in the 1970s and 1980s.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 11:30:52 AM »
There's a promotional photo of Bill and Betty working together on my web site:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/guest2.html

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned Al Roker yet.  He's a fringe member of the game show host community and has covered the Rose Parade for NBC several times.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:33:07 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »
A couple of others on the fringe of game show hostdom that have done Rose Parades are Edgar Bergen and Vin Scully.

And here's an interesting one:  For the 1969 parade, Tom Kennedy provided what were described in TVG as "prepared interviews" as part of NBC's coverage.

Finally, while we think of this as something that's done by different people each year, throughout the sixties you could count on Bess Myerson being on CBS and Betty White being on NBC.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 04:10:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 11:30 AM\']There's a promotional photo of Bill and Betty working together on my web site:
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/guest2.html

Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned Al Roker yet.  He's a fringe member of the game show host community and has covered the Rose Parade for NBC several times.[/quote]
Including this year, with "Access"' Shaun Robinson replacing her colleague Nancy O'Dell, who'd come down with laryngytis.  (That's what you get when you wear too many low-cut dresses, Nancy!)

And over on HGTV, "WLOD" 1979-80 host Robb Weller was presiding over their commercial-free coverage, aloing with Rebecca Kolis of "Rebecca's Garden" and someone named Paul James.

And carrying this to extremes, "Sports Geniuses" hostess Lisa Guerrero co-anchored ABC Sports' Rose Parade coverage--and no doubt had many insightful interviews on the sidelines of the Rose Bowl.  :)

CBS had absolutely no game show connection this year with wacky "Early Show" weatherman Dave Price and "ET"'s Jann Carl (gosh, what a coincidence with NBC's host lineup!).  Oh, yeah, Dave works with Julie Chen.

rugrats1

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »
And over on HGTV, "WLOD" 1979-80 host Robb Weller...

A decade early, are you? You probably meant 1989-90.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 04:51 PM\']
And over on HGTV, "WLOD" 1979-80 host Robb Weller...

A decade early, are you? You probably meant 1989-90.[/quote]
Yeah, I did.  My bad.

Weller was doing "Bananaz" on QUBE cable TV in Toledo, Ohio back then, which meant he may've seen Cullen come in to do "How Do You Like Your Eggs?"  Maybe.

rugrats1

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 05:00:14 PM »
Weller was doing "Bananaz" on QUBE cable TV in Toledo, Ohio back then, which meant he may've seen Cullen come in to do "How Do You Like Your Eggs?" Maybe.

QUBE had a cable system in Toledo? I thought that was Columbus and Cincinnati. I don't think Warner-Amex had a cable system in Toledo (I have a friend who lives there, so I should know).

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 05:09:09 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 4 2004, 05:00 PM\']
Weller was doing "Bananaz" on QUBE cable TV in Toledo, Ohio back then, which meant he may've seen Cullen come in to do "How Do You Like Your Eggs?" Maybe.

QUBE had a cable system in Toledo? I thought that was Columbus and Cincinnati. I don't think Warner-Amex had a cable system in Toledo (I have a friend who lives there, so I should know).[/quote]
Boy, I'm just stepping in one pile of poop after another.

You're right, it was Columbus.

Good night and good luck.