Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host-Isms  (Read 12576 times)

Don Howard

Host-Isms
« on: December 31, 2003, 04:10:09 AM »
There are certain things that many of our favorite emcees say that are uniquely theirs. Examples are Bob Eubanks saying, "I just want you to know that", Alex Trebek's "You'll have a full 30 seconds" (as opposed to a partial 30 seconds) and Allen Ludden's "____ is one of the best players we've around here in quite some time". How many come to your mind?

Casey Buck

Host-Isms
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 04:40:49 AM »
There's a whole ton of "Barker-isms" on a golden-road.net thread.

Robert Hutchinson

Host-Isms
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 05:15:29 AM »
I really want to give Geoff Edwards his "Right you are!", unique or not.

Pat Sajak: "Talk it out! You never know what might come spilling out . . ."

Chuck Woolery: "You can get this."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Host-Isms
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 06:02:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:40 AM\']There's a whole ton of "Barker-isms" on a golden-road.net thread.[/quote]
That site is missing the most chilling Barkerism of all: "See you in court".

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 06:33:16 AM »
Peter Marshall: "Turnabout is fair play."  Bill Cullen: "Thank you ever so much."  Tom Kennedy (to contestant on 50 Grand Slam): "Don't pick your nails." (well I don't think any other host ever said that)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

Host-Isms
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 06:57:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:10 AM\'] There are certain things that many of our favorite emcees say that are uniquely theirs. Examples are Bob Eubanks saying, "I just want you to know that", Alex Trebek's "You'll have a full 30 seconds" (as opposed to a partial 30 seconds) and Allen Ludden's "____ is one of the best players we've around here in quite some time". How many come to your mind? [/quote]
 Of course! My favorite used on many a show...

Complete with the little salute, "This is Dick Clark.....so long."

cmjb13

Host-Isms
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 07:18:46 AM »
Didn't Ludden used to say "Be good to each other?"
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 07:27:55 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 07:18 AM\'] Didn't Ludden used to say "Be good to each other?" [/quote]
 No, that was Jerry Springer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

Host-Isms
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 08:37:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 06:27 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 07:18 AM\'] Didn't Ludden used to say "Be good to each other?" [/quote]
No, that was Jerry Springer. [/quote]
 "Be good TO YOURSELVES...and each other."

I remember Ludden's "think about it..."

Marshall's "I would've gone to ... but this may work out"

Clark's "Here's the first subject ... GO!"

And just because it's new years...

Chuck Barris: "We'll be back, with more STUFF!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Host-Isms
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 10:30:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 03:10 AM\'] There are certain things that many of our favorite emcees say that are uniquely theirs. Examples are Bob Eubanks saying, "I just want you to know that", Alex Trebek's "You'll have a full 30 seconds" (as opposed to a partial 30 seconds) and Allen Ludden's "____ is one of the best players we've around here in quite some time". How many come to your mind? [/quote]
 Woolery:  "Two and two."

Doug -- Happy New Year!
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

Host-Isms
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 01:10:54 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 10:30 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 03:10 AM\'] There are certain things that many of our favorite emcees say that are uniquely theirs. Examples are Bob Eubanks saying, "I just want you to know that", Alex Trebek's "You'll have a full 30 seconds" (as opposed to a partial 30 seconds) and Allen Ludden's "____ is one of the best players we've around here in quite some time". How many come to your mind? [/quote]
Woolery:  "Two and two."[/quote]
And "I wouldn't touch that one with a fork lift!"

And "Between a rock and a hard place" (when the wheel went to those two wedges with a Bankrupt on one side of them and a Lose-a-Turn on the other side).

And with Cullen--"by golly" and "we're going to give you an opportunity..."

And with Jack Barry--"For those of you watching..." (as opposed to those people who aren't watching).

And Gene Rayburn--"TALLY HO!"

And don't forget Alex Trebek saying "HOLE-iday" while every other host would say "trip."

ITSBRY

Host-Isms
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 02:36:55 PM »
Very strange...I was thinking of posting a similiar topic, but I wasn't sure what to call it...Host-isms is perfect!!! :)

Ludden:
"we have a commercial"...can't think of any other hosts who phrased it quite this way.

Rayburn:  
"the lunatic asylum is open"

"you'll have up to three chances to match as many of the creatures from the dark lagoon..."

"you're a weirdo"

Dawson:
"Survey Says"

"Dr. Woo Woo"...anyone know the origin of this?  Dawson used it many times on both Feud and MG.

Marshall:
"Hello stars!"

Clark:
"for now, Dick Clark...so long."

Anderson:
"be good to your families"

Newton:
"it's all about you."

ITSBRY
itsbry@Juno.com

Card Shark

Host-Isms
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 03:11:48 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:10 PM\'] And don't forget Alex Trebek saying "HOLE-iday" while every other host would say "trip." [/quote]
 Yea and he said that because he's Canadian. My family lives in his old backyard--Toronto and Canucks have their own lexicon. For example..."University" = college. Chips = french fries, "Kraft Dinner" = maccaroni (even mac not packaged by the Kraft company), "pop" = soda... and the list goes on.
Adam Strom

J.R.

Host-Isms
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 03:37:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 03:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 01:10 PM\'] And don't forget Alex Trebek saying "HOLE-iday" while every other host would say "trip." [/quote]
Yea and he said that because he's Canadian. My family lives in his old backyard--Toronto and Canucks have their own lexicon. For example..."University" = college. Chips = french fries, "Kraft Dinner" = maccaroni (even mac not packaged by the Kraft company), "pop" = soda... and the list goes on. [/quote]
 One time on "CC" their was a prized named "Acopuco Getaway" and Alex stumbled trying to say it, one point calling it it a "Hollo-way".

Alex once closed a ep of CC with: "We can't come back unless we say goodbye and go away and that what were going to do now" (or something to that effect)

And, of course:
"To business, to business, to business"
"Seven-aah !"
"Many Moon Come... A Niner !"
"Stayin' Alive with the Bee-Gees"
"For shame... for shame... for shame"
"It's a Antique Chinese Fishbowl... Very Delle !"
"When we return and return we will, we'll add something to it... FISH !!"
"$700 in cashroooooo"
"... now I put on my weight by drinking too much wine !"
"You're not pregnant ? No... nither am I !"

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

WorldClassRob

Host-Isms
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 04:42:21 PM »
Here's a few of them that probably may have not been mentioned:

Jack Barry:
"And a most cordial welcome to The Joker's Wild" (and other shows he has hosted)
"On our last show we crowned a new champion" (also used by Jim Perry, mostly on $ale of the Century)
'I caution the audience" (asking the studio not to shout out any answers)

Peter Marshall:
"Object of the game is to get three stars in a row, either across, up and down or diagonally; it is up for the players to determine if a star is giving a correct answer or is making one up.  That's how they get the square."

Geoff Edwards:
"Right you are."

Jim Perry:
"Took a chance, and it's paid off".
"We'll be back right after this commercial time out."

Bob Eubanks:
"Hurry please"

Chuck Woolery:
"Goodnight"
"Quickly"
"Two and Two"

Allen Ludden: