Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host-Isms  (Read 12577 times)

J.R.

Host-Isms
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2003, 05:31:17 PM »
Hey, this is fun ! Here's some more from Jim Perry:

"Nicely solved with little information !"
"Great anticipation !"
"You can stay champ untill you clear/knock-off everything off that Winners Board... plus THIS !!"
"You must win and you with with $XX"
"We've been going down the wire (beautifully)"
"We lock the flashing lights into your buzzer !"
"I thank you, I bless you, goodbye my friends"

Of couse every $ale host in the world said:
"Lets go shopping !"

I'm sure my good friend, Anthony R. Nichols, can think of some more Perry-isms !
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Winkfan

Host-Isms
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2003, 05:37:27 PM »
Didn't Ludden used to say "Be good to each other?"
I think it was Garry Moore; and it was 'Be very kind to each other.'

Here's some more I thought of.....

Bud Collyer:
Goodbye, and God bless you.

Jim Peck:
1.) Careful, audience.
2.) (Insert contestant's name), stand by for just a moment.

Bert Convy:
1.) OK, gang.
2.) Moving right along.....

Peter Tomarken:
'Tense up' or 'Gird your loins'

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Gail Sheldon of the Big Board!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:30:07 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Card Shark

Host-Isms
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2003, 05:56:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 05:31 PM\'] Hey, this is fun ! Here's some more from Jim Perry:

"Nicely solved with little information !"
"Great anticipation !"
"You can stay champ untill you clear/knock-off everything off that Winners Board... plus THIS !!"
"We've been going down the wire (beautifully)"
"I thank you, I bless you, goodbye my friends"

Of couse every $ale host in the world said:
"Lets go shopping !"

I'm sure my good friend, Anthony R. Nichols, can think of some more Perry-isms !
-Joe R. [/quote]
 More Perry-isms...

"Oh, you're a good group..." from the intro of the first CS,
"The other side of the [insert card here]" used when one card is a 7 for example and the contestant got the next one correct and it happened to be a 9. So, in this case, he'd say "the other side of the 8."

"My spies tell me that..." when shmoozing with a contestant at the beginning of a show.
"Until you get to the top card, the big bet. There you must bet at least half the money." Not said by Eubanks on any episode of his run of CS
Adam Strom

ChuckNet

Host-Isms
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2003, 06:14:06 PM »
Here's a few more...

Davidson:
(when the celebs got out of control): "Don't encourage them!"
(after a Secret Square win): "Pack your bags!"

Combs:
(after reading the question to a player) "3 seconds!"
(just before an answer reveal) "Let me see..."
(before a Fast Money answer reveal that could put the team over 200) "WHAT did our survey say?"
(after a Fast Money win) "You've got the cash!"

Perry:
(during the PYL-style Fame Game era): "$__ money card where, Summer?"
(during Instant Ca$h) "2 of these boxes have $100 bills, one today is worth (pause, jackpot amount reveal)..."$_,000!"

Enberg:
"Welcome sports fans, from coast-to-coast and around the world, to Sports Challenge."
"We'll be back with (insert teaser for upcoming question) right after this Sports Challenge time-out."

Chuck Donegan T(he Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2003, 06:21:23 PM »
Nick Clooney:  "We'll be right back with action...." "the all-important 1"  Gene Wood: "the fun has just begun"  Tom Kennedy: "your winnings will be transmogrified"  Jim Peck: "take a beat and relax." Dennis James "Okay........Okay" and "Don't miss the show next week cause if you do, were gonna miss you!" and Bill Cullen once said on Blockbusters "Without you, this show would still go on."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

Host-Isms
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 09:34:31 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:42 PM\'] Jack Barry:
"And a most cordial welcome to The Joker's Wild" (and other shows he has hosted)
"On our last show we crowned a new champion" (also used by Jim Perry, mostly on $ale of the Century)
'I caution the audience" (asking the studio not to shout out any answers)
 [/quote]
 "Under our scoring system..."

Jim Perry:
"Took a chance, and it's paid off".
"We'll be back right after this commercial time out."
The throw I notice most often is, "We'll be back right after this message of importance!"  Along that same line:

Gene Rayburn:
"We'll be right back after this message for America!"

Allen Ludden:
"You got it"
I can't believe this line hasn't come up yet:  "I hear you at home!"

Finally, Tom Bergeron only used this line once, but it's still LOL funny:  "Skippy, valium, level three!"

PeterMarshallFan

Host-Isms
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 09:41:10 PM »
Jack Barry: "Under the rules of our game...."

Jim Lange: "Spin the information."

Patrick Wayne: "YOUUUUUUUUU WINNNNNNNN!!!" or "YOOOUUUUUUU BLOOOOOOOOOCCKKKK" or a one-time classic, "Tick Tock is back!"

JD Roberto: "I'm JD your host, and this is our megastore" or "When you're right you'll hear this [bell] but when you're wrong you'll hear this [buzzer]" or "For announcer Don Preiss and the whole Shop til you Drop family..."

JMFabiano

Host-Isms
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2004, 12:11:58 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 06:14 PM\'] Combs:
(after reading the question to a player) "3 seconds!"
(just before an answer reveal) "Let me see..."
(before a Fast Money answer reveal that could put the team over 200) "WHAT did our survey say?"
(after a Fast Money win) "You've got the cash!"

[/quote]
Trying to think of things you can tell came from the hosts, not cue cards.  Some of the latter may pop up, only because I associate them so with each host.  And I just plain love the lines besides :-)

More Combs-isms:
"BAM!" (when a contestant hits a high scoring answer in FM)
"X answers up there, is one of them [answer]?"
"## people said it..." (on occasion, when an answer is revealed)
Other answer prefixes: "How about..." and of course "Show me..." (which, before I saw early Dawson episodes and saw that he said it to, I associated with Ray as he used the phrase more often throughout his whole run.  Richard eventually settled for just repeating the answer)

Continuing with the Feud, one Richard Dawson-ism:
"Any of our 100 people say [answer]?"

And how about the Spanish version of the Feud, 100 Mexicanos Dijeron, and Marco Antonio Regil?
"La encuenta dice!"
"Muestrame..." (sp?  Believe it's the Spanish equiv. of "Show me...")
"Aparece..." (again sp?  And again another word to summon an answer)
"Si senor!" (said when someone gets a right answer, usually a Dinero Rapido win)

Now, non-Feud....

Bill Cullen calling a buzzer or assorted object a "hickey"

Peter Tomarken
(When a contestant passing his/her last spin and causing a whammy would give the player not a part of the exchange the win) "You can pass to [Name], if he/she whammies, [inactive player] will be your best friend"
"Hold onto something lucky..." (said to Home Player contestants)

Jim Perry
"Going [a little] against the odds"
(When someone makes a big bet on an average-to-bad card) "[Money amount] on a [card]!"  Example: my favorite, "$2000 on a jaaaaaaaaaack!" And yes I included his vocal inflection.  Finish the image by thinking the line in your most dramatic voice.  
"Right up the middle with an 8!"

Jim Lange
"...and that [sinister adjective] ol' lightning!"
"Yes, it's true..." (usually in his Bullseye introduction, agreeing with Jay/Charlie/etc's opening spiel)

Ton Kennedy
"Right now I'd like you to meet....10 of the most [alliterate pair of words to describe the Villains] that ever stood between a [contestant's occupation] and his/her money, and HERE THEY ARE!"  (I also liked how after tallying up the time, he encourages the player to "....BEAT....THOSE....VILLAINS!")
As a variation on Allen Ludden's "Do you have it at home?" on Password Plus Tom sometimes called the audience the "all-knowing audience"

Allen Ludden
"[Player 1]...[Player 2]...friends..." (truncated version of "As they look at it....")
AND WHAT ABOUT...."You got your clues?  You got more than one?"

Ross Shafer
"...double that if you get a lucky spin on ["funny" euphemism for the Star Wheel]"

Another Patrick Wayne-ism (from earlier TTD90 eps, and I can't believe this hasn't been brought up...)
"But there's a but to the but!" (said after warning the player about the dragon)

Jim Caldwell
"The red categories are special categories, I'll be sure to explain them when we get to them!" (more TTD putziness I can't believe hasn't come up yet)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 12:16:43 AM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2004, 12:32:35 AM »
One thing that Chuck W. used to say coming back from commercial that didn't seem quite right was "Welcome back to round 2 of WOF."  Only problem was, round 2 had not yet started when he said it.  Remember this one from Wink on TP: "from the Arts and Litter a Tour category....."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Host-Isms
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2004, 01:56:19 AM »
Y'all ARE aware that a lot of your "host-isms" are actually scripted lines the emcee must rattle off more or less verbatim, aren't you? If you took a Barker TPIR episode and compared it to a Dennis James episode from the same era, I'm sure you'd find that their explanations of the games matched almost word for word.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Host-Isms
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2004, 02:53:12 AM »
And as an addendum to Chris' post, I believe "hostisms" to be phrases and mannerisms a host just can't shake. Most of Chuck W's are dead on, but what about these Rayburnisms that carried from MG to BtB?

"Put it in the slot..."

"...give it a go..."

Jack Barry had the "cordial welcome" thing...but that's what I saw as a "hostism." A lot of that other stuff came with the game and the game only. "Hurry please" for Bob Eubanks was another good one.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2004, 10:44:01 AM »
Didn't Art Fleming say "Right you are!" as well?

DrBear

Host-Isms
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2004, 11:08:58 AM »
One I forgot from 60s match game...

"We asked our audience - a bunch of little old ladies from Upper Montclair, New Jersey...."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

curtking

Host-Isms
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2004, 11:26:14 AM »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

The shopping years don't get no respect.

Curt

Card Shark

Host-Isms
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2004, 03:05:59 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:42 PM\'] Alex Trebek"
"Select again" [/quote]
 When a contestant picks a category, he'll often say "The answer there is..." And don't forget "Less than a minute to go."
Adam Strom