Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host-Isms  (Read 12575 times)

TimK2003

Host-Isms
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2004, 03:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'WorldClassRob\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 04:42 PM\'] Here's a few of them that probably may have not been mentioned:

Jack Barry:
"And a most cordial welcome to The Joker's Wild" (and other shows he has hosted)
"On our last show we crowned a new champion" [/quote]
 How about when Art Fleming went into commercial on J!:

"Please watch....Thank You".

Or some Family Feud Dawson-isms for bad answers:

"The dreaded _____________" or
"El __(answer)___ -o"

And from the Jim Lange Name That Tune files:

"Yowza".

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Host-Isms
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 09:26 AM\'] I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

The shopping years don't get no respect.

Curt [/quote]
 Probably because, as Chris said, that line wasn't part of Pat or Chuck's personal style, it was simply the scripted rules of the game that every host, including (I think) Benirshke, read at the top of the show.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

Host-Isms
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2004, 07:19:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 06:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 09:26 AM\'] I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

Curt [/quote]
Probably because, as Chris said, that line wasn't part of Pat or Chuck's personal style, it was simply the scripted rules of the game that every host, including (I think) Benirshke, read at the top of the show.) [/quote]
Yes. Exactly. The question calls for host-isms, not script-isms. The operative words are "uniquely theirs" as far as the verbage by the master of ceremonies. By the way, many of you have come up with some very good ones. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 07:21:34 PM by Don Howard »

JCGames

Host-Isms
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2004, 09:57:11 PM »
Art Fleming:

"Thank you my friends, thank you Don Pardo...."
"Well done!"
'No, sorry...."
'We'll be back to talk to our players after this message about a very fine product....please watch with us? Good."

J.R.

Host-Isms
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2004, 11:37:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 06:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 09:26 AM\'] I'm surprised no one's mentioned "Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep."

Curt [/quote]
Probably because, as Chris said, that line wasn't part of Pat or Chuck's personal style, it was simply the scripted rules of the game that every host, including (I think) Benirshke, read at the top of the show.) [/quote]
 Indeed he did say it ! By the way. It's spelled "Benirschke" : )

Some more Benirschke-isms:
"People don't want to know about me or watch us here"
"XXX in the bank"
"Hurry ! Hurry ! Hurry !"
(When a contestant stated that she's single) "This isn't The Dating Game, this is Wheel of Fortune !"
(When "Bankrupt" was hit 3-times-in-a-row) "In Hockey we call that a 'Hat Trick' I don't know what we call it on the Wheel of Fortune"
"And now the Wheel of Fortune voice, Mr. Charlie O'Donnel !"
"We time for another round, so lets get to it right away !"
"You pulled that out of left field"
"It is Phrase"
"When I first came out here, it was almost like being asked to kick a Field Goal without any pre-game warm-up with little experience I've had"

I could think of more, but I think that is sastifactory:
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

JMFabiano

Host-Isms
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2004, 01:07:40 AM »
How could I have forgotten Dick Clark's "Two, four-fifty, five hundred dollars!"
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Host-Isms
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2004, 01:29:41 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:07 PM\'] How could I have forgotten Dick Clark's "Two, four-fifty, five hundred dollars!" [/quote]
Or the more common Extended Mix: "Two, four-fifty, five, six, seven hundred and fifty dollars, we'll be back!"

THAT...is a genuine Clark-ism. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 01:30:22 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Tim L

Host-Isms
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2004, 02:09:18 AM »
John Charles Daly on What's My Line (Exact verbiage varied from show to show)

"It is now time to meet Our Mystery Celebrity for which our friends on the panel are blindfolded. Blindfolds all in place panel?"  Panel murmurs in the affirmative.

"Mystery Challenger, enter and  sign in please!"

To the audience at the very end.."Thank you for being with us on What's My Line."

Tim Lones
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:19:18 AM by Tim L »

Track Man 876

Host-Isms
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2004, 02:44:35 AM »
Pat Sajak:
"Watcha there right in front of you."
"Watch the board."

Louie Anderson:
"Ooooooohhhh."

Richard Dawson:
"You keep your title."
"Let's go!"

Bob Eubanks:
"See you next time, bye bye for now."

BrandonFG

Host-Isms
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2004, 02:50:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:44 AM\'] Pat Sajak:
"Watch the board."

Louie Anderson:
"Ooooooohhhh."

Richard Dawson:
"You keep your title."
"Let's go!"

Bob Eubanks:
"See you next time, bye bye for now." [/quote]
 Richard Karn:
If ___ is up there, you've stolen the points, drawn first blood.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

Host-Isms
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2004, 07:43:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:29 AM\'][quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:07 PM\'] How could I have forgotten Dick Clark's "Two, four-fifty, five hundred dollars!" [/quote]
Or the more common Extended Mix: "Two, four-fifty, five, six, seven hundred and fifty dollars, we'll be back!"

THAT...is a genuine Clark-ism. :)[/quote]
I still think the genuine Clark-ism here is: "Three, five, six . . . six-fifty, no, seven . . . how much is it?" and variations thereof. :)

Also, not common enough to be an -ism, but still in the same vein, on a $25K board with everything but the $50 won: "Three, five, seven-fifty, eight-fifty . . . one thousand? No, it can't be a thousand. Is it? It is? Huh."
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

Host-Isms
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2004, 03:23:37 PM »
Speaking of Kennedy:

"Barump-bump."  (whenever sometime told a bad joke--supposedly on "NTT" and 60s "You Don't Say!", the drummer could provide that if he was paying attention).

And speaking of shows with live music and drummers who did lots of rim shots:

Monty Hall when a contestant was looking out at the audience:  "Honey, unless there's a better show out there, could you look straight at me?"  With variations.

And "Keep those signs away from Uncle Monty..."

gameshowguy2000

Host-Isms
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2004, 07:16:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:44 AM\'] Pat Sajak:
"Watch the board."

Louie Anderson:
"Ooooooohhhh."

Richard Dawson:
"You keep your title."
"Let's go!"

Bob Eubanks:
"See you next time, bye bye for now." [/quote]
Richard Karn:
If ___ is up there, you've stolen the points, drawn first blood. [/quote]
 Louie Anderson: If it's there, YOU get the points. If not, THEY get the points.

Richard Karn (One-strike triple round): If it's there, you've stolen the points...AND the game. But if it's not up there, there's NOT enough points for them to even steal.

JCGames

Host-Isms
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2004, 08:54:39 PM »
Didn't John Charles Daly also say "Good night, and a good tomorrow" or something similar?

Jimmy Owen

Host-Isms
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2004, 09:17:24 PM »
Richard Dawson: "Huckleberry Dillinger."  Bob and Ray: "Hang by your thumbs!" Maybe there should be a thread about malaprops. Here's one from Bill "Sonny" Fox: "Good evening and good welcome...I mean good evening and welcome."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.