Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: E-Bay Finds 2/12/14--Picture This!  (Read 6682 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
E-Bay Finds 2/12/14--Picture This!
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:44 AM »
Ticket from 8/1949 for "It Pays to be Ignorant"
A poster from the HIT game show of the 80s...Mismatch!
A photo from a pilot called "Our House".
A commemorative program from WoF's visit to NYC in 1988.
I recall reading this was part of a series...here's a 1997 plush doll of Guy Smiley
It looks to be in pretty poor shape, but Matt has it on his "10 rarest" list...a Picture This game from 1963
I think I've posted this one before...here's a Gametek poster from 1987 with TPiR and Password "coming soon".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

Re: E-Bay Finds 2/12/14--Picture This!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:31 AM »
A photo from a pilot called "Our House".

"Our House" was the show that Wilford Brimley and Shannen Doherty starred in, about a grandfather who takes in his daughter-in-law and their three children after his son dies...Gus and Kris Witherspoon were their characters' names. Looks as if they were on some sort of game show from this episode (I used to enjoy this show, but it's been so long)...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:49:51 AM »
I'll operate under the assumption that "Mismatch" was an unsold pilot....was it?

And who knew Time Life had a TV division?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:03:48 AM »
"Our House" was the show that Wilford Brimley and Shannen Doherty starred in, about a grandfather who takes in his daughter-in-law and their three children after his son dies...Gus and Kris Witherspoon were their characters' names. Looks as if they were on some sort of game show from this episode (I used to enjoy this show, but it's been so long)...
One scene from that episode that particularly amused me (enough that it still sticks in my mind) is that the contestant coordinator tells the characters to bring changes of clothes since they tape multiple episodes each day.  The coordinator is slightly distressed to find Gus brings five white dress shirts and five identically colored pairs of khaki pants, since that's about all the character ever wore elsewhere on the show.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
I'll operate under the assumption that "Mismatch" was an unsold pilot....was it?

I think they mostly did TV movies, and maybe a sitcom or two. I remember seeing the production company logo at the end of a TV movie from the late-70s.

I vaguely remember the Our House episode. I think the fictional show was called Dual Duel or something ("Duel" played into the title), and they were given the option to risk their prizes by coming back, or walking. Since game show-related episodes rarely (if ever) show the characters continuing their run, I think Shannen Doherty's character decided the team would walk. I remember Wilford Brimley's character being quite surprised by that move.

It's also been close to 25 years since I've seen it, but that part stood out.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
Time/Life was also responsible for bringing Monty Python's Flying Circus to the US, albeit mostly on PBS stations.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
A poster from the HIT game show of the 80s...Mismatch!

FTFA:

We've taken the *best* - and *proven* elements of today's most successful game shows - to bring you tomorrow's *winner*!

Translation: "We're totally ripping off The Newlywed Game."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bobby B.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

I think they mostly did TV movies, and maybe a sitcom or two. I remember seeing the production company logo at the end of a TV movie from the late-70s.

I vaguely remember the Our House episode. I think the fictional show was called Dual Duel or something ("Duel" played into the title), and they were given the option to risk their prizes by coming back, or walking. Since game show-related episodes rarely (if ever) show the characters continuing their run, I think Shannen Doherty's character decided the team would walk. I remember Wilford Brimley's character being quite surprised by that move.

It's also been close to 25 years since I've seen it, but that part stood out.

I saw that episode about a year or two ago.  Their run actually ended when the show realized Wilford and Shannen had given an incorrect answer that they mistakenly ruled correct.  I thought that was bizarre.  Don't shows usually let the contestants keep what they won when an error is made in the contestant's favor?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
Don't shows usually let the contestants keep what they won when an error is made in the contestant's favor?
There's been episodes of Pyramid where Dick informs the contestants an illegal clue was given and they are stripping the money they won in the W.C.  Jeopardy also deducts winnings from players.  I think the situation you describe is more common when the player is against the house, such as on Price.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Bobby B.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
Don't shows usually let the contestants keep what they won when an error is made in the contestant's favor?
There's been episodes of Pyramid where Dick informs the contestants an illegal clue was given and they are stripping the money they won in the W.C.  Jeopardy also deducts winnings from players.  I think the situation you describe is more common when the player is against the house, such as on Price.

That was a dumb oversight on my part.  Now that I think about, I've seen it happen on Jeopardy and also seen the Pyramid situation you described.  The fictional show in the Our House episode was a serious quizzer, so that plot point might be more realistic than I thought.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
Or that's a nice way to tidy up the episode without having the plot point carry over to the next. That story arc ends, people learn a life lesson and everyone's happy.
Travis L. Eberle

jw2001

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »
I'd like to add an item I'm currently listing on ebay, a What Would You Do? sign from Nickelodeon Studios.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171240292278?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »
IIRC, Time-Life Television was eventually spun off as Lionheart Television and later acquired by the BBC.

FWIW, my personal memory of the T-L TV logo usually involved seeing it at the end of (I think) To the Manor Born while waiting for Red Dwarf to come on.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
It appears you are correct. Warning: creepy 70s graphics and music below. :-P

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!