Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Ten Years Ago  (Read 13312 times)

The Pyramids

GSN Ten Years Ago
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Copied from the pages of TVgameshows.net and saved by me over the years here in GSN's prime time line-up from June, 2004, three months since becoming the Network for Games.

Looking at it now gives you an idea of where the network may have gone before pulling back the following year, starting with new episodes of "Lingo".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nighttime schedule:
7:00  Star Search
8:00  WWTBAM
9:00  Dog Eat Dog
10:00  Various
11:00  Street Smarts
11:30  Various

The 10:00 lineup consists of: Mondays, World Series of Blackjack; Tuesdays, Extreme Dodgeball and Kenny vs. Spenny; Wednesdays, Average Joe; Thursdays, Kenny vs. Spenny and Extreme Dodgeball; and Fridays, Vegas Weddings and Spy TV.

At 11:30, GSN airs Who Dares Wins Mondays and Tuesdays, Vegas Weddings Wednesdays, Street Smarts Thursdays and Kenny vs. Spenny Fridays.
The 8-11 midnight weekend block framed by Games Across America includes: Street Smarts, Extreme Dodgeball, Spy TV, Vegas Weddings and Who Dares Wins.

Vahan_Nisanian

Re: GSN Ten Years Ago
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
What was the reason for the big changeover in 2004? Were ratings for the original GSN in the toilet?

Winkfan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
What was the reason for the big changeover in 2004? Were ratings for the original GSN in the toilet?

With the exception of a few "bright spots" (Trivia Trap, Now You See It, Child's Play, Body Language, to name a few), I feel GSN has been in the you-know-where since the changeover.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »
I asked about the ratings of the original GSN. What were they like when Rich Cronin suggested the changeover?

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
We didn't get much information about the networks ratings back then. What I believed happened was that Cronin and the powers that be felt that the networks full slate of originals from '02 to '03 just did not skew young enough and a bold makeover was in order.

We know now while the network would bring us poker & billards & the like in the years to come they partially reconsidered their strategy and have brought us a number of good originals, classics and holliday marathons since then. I think saying the network has been in the toliet for the past ten years is a little harsh.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 04:56:47 PM by PaulD »

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »
I asked about the ratings of the original GSN. What were they like when Rich Cronin suggested the changeover?
What was this for?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 05:40:17 PM »
I didn't think Tammy answered my question. That is what it was for.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »
So that necessitates you getting huffy about it? She offered an opinion...just because it's not what you wanted to hear doesn't mean you gotta be snarky about it with her or so defensive with me. Just relax.

To answer your question, the reality craze was taking off in 2004, and GSN felt it could have a little more success with that, instead of traditional studio games.

I also agree with Paul that it's a bit much to say GSN has become a steaming pile since 2004. It's not what it was in the late-90s, but I'll take the current lineup over a decade ago any day of the week. Besides, there's plenty of entertainment on Youtube...I'll take that too!

/I just wish Pyramid could've taken off
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:06:57 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
This is what we're talking about, Vahan. You get huffy when someone doesn't completely and quickly answer your question and you're not really in a position to dictate terms. Just let people discuss things and enjoy the ride.
Travis L. Eberle

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
What an...interesting schedule. I never thought I'd see something that'd make hours of Harvey Feud look good, but they realized what did and didn't work, changed things up again, and are looking good right now.

Although to be honest, I'd like to see Street Smarts again. I found it to be a fun time waster at 3am twelve years ago. I'm okay without watching Arsenio Star Search, but I kind of pine for it simply for nostalgia sake.

I think Dog Eat Dog is the only thing from that schedule that is still on the schedule, am I right? I'm not sure if WWTBAM still is, but I didn't think so.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
I'd like someone to have hit Arsenio with the digits.

And shortly after the name change, they did give us a killer daytime lineup for a while ("The Men from GSN" as they so cleverly called it, so as to have a Desperate Housewives ripoff commercial).  They brought back the Bill Rafferty shows, and restarted Tom Kennedy PW+ for the first time since 1997. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
And shortly after the name change, they did give us a killer daytime lineup for a while ("The Men from GSN" as they so cleverly called it, so as to have a Desperate Housewives ripoff commercial).  They brought back the Bill Rafferty shows, and restarted Tom Kennedy PW+ for the first time since 1997. 

YES. Was going to bring this up as well. From 8am-3pm (starting in early 2005), they brought back some shows that hadn't been seen on GSN in some time for the daytime. That block was arguably the best of the post-2004 GSN era...

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »

YES. Was going to bring this up as well. From 8am-3pm (starting in early 2005), they brought back some shows that hadn't been seen on GSN in some time for the daytime. That block was arguably the best of the post-2004 GSN era...
I agree. I worked overnights at that point, and when I got home, I'd actually stay up till about 11:30 am to watch Rafferty Blockbusters and Password Plus. Was more than worth it.

Although I question Friggin Studs, the Top 50 best shows countdown from summer 2006 wasn't half bad either.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
The changeover was also when GSN began having the absolute worst credit crunchers ever. Cutting them off before they could even end. Nearly all other networks crunch credits, but I have never seen them crunch them the exact same way GSN does. They sometimes even crunch them before the host can even say "bye-bye".

I'm disappointed. Why doesn't GSN offer online streaming of non-original programming that are currently on their network? Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 02:55:46 PM »
I'm disappointed. Why doesn't GSN offer online streaming of non-original programming that are currently on their network? Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.
Because they exist to make money for their employees and stakeholders, and not to provide people freely accessible entertainment.

I also question your math, but I doubt you even balance your own accounts, so it's probably a tall ask to get you to understand that too.
Travis L. Eberle