Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Ten Years Ago  (Read 13307 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: GSN Ten Years Ago
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.

What scares me more about this statement is that it implies that there's a single person who *does*.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm disappointed. Why doesn't GSN offer online streaming of non-original programming that are currently on their network? Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.
It's not like you'd watch anyway; they'd do it just for the average casual viewers.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 03:09:40 PM »
I'm disappointed. Why doesn't GSN offer online streaming of non-original programming that are currently on their network? Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.
Are you going to pony up the money to set this infrastructure up?  There's also rights fees that are likely associated with distributing product such as this online, money that isn't free in nature.  If you don't like how GSN does business (and clearly, you don't), you're free to set up an alternative network.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ivoryman1986

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »

That's what Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and RuTube are for. Some networks don't like to stream not even their current originals to an online streaming site(yes GSN is included in this issue).

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
you're free to set up an alternative network.
Except he can't. You know he can't and it is disingenuous to finish your argument with that. You were bang-on up to this point, but you can't just miracle up a distribution channel out of nothing and take away other people's IP.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »

That's what Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and RuTube are for. Some networks don't like to stream not even their current originals to an online streaming site(yes GSN is included in this issue).
To my knowledge, YouTube was never created for people to infringe on other companies copyrights.  Whether the copyright holders care is another issue, Iris.

Except he can't. You know he can't and it is disingenuous to finish your argument with that. You were bang-on up to this point, but you can't just miracle up a distribution channel out of nothing and take away other people's IP.
He can, its just there's lots of barriers to entry that would make it neigh impossible to be successful.  Until then, I think he should be happy with what he has.

On a side note, I like the feature this board has--when I was typing my reply to Iris, Travis responded in the interim.  I was given a notification that additional posts had been made since I started crafting my reply and was offered the chance to review them before posting.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:39:51 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
On a side note, I like the feature this board has--when I was typing my reply to Iris, Travis responded in the interim.  I was given a notification that additional posts had been made since I started crafting my reply and was offered the chance to review them before posting.
That was on the old board too, but it's a very nifty feature.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »
Some people don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars just to see one show on GSN.

What scares me more about this statement is that it implies that there's a single person who *does*.

Try spending some time over on the TCM boards.  There are posters who get a bug up their ass any time (well not quite every time, but more than often enough) they show a film made after some point in the 1960s.  There are posters who pretty much use the argument that they pay $xx to get TCM, and dammit, TCM ought to be programmed to their tastes; the heck with what the rest of us think.  It was especially bad in the autumn when TCM ran the "Story of Film" series and not only had a bunch of more recent films, but more recent foreign films to boot.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 03:50:17 PM »
Try spending some time over on the TCM boards.

Given:

There are posters who get a bug up their ass any time (well not quite every time, but more than often enough) they show a film made after some point in the 1960s.  There are posters who pretty much use the argument that they pay $xx to get TCM, and dammit, TCM ought to be programmed to their tastes; the heck with what the rest of us think.

I think I'll pass, thanks. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »
As a note: currently I'm subscribing to the Digital Economy tier for $35/month. The tier that has Game Show Network is $88/month. That's a change of $53 per month (assuming there's no promotional rates or changes or what have you.) I suppose that would add up to "hundreds of dollars" over several months, but it isn't the end of the world. It would rate several Pinocchios on a truth-finder website.

Mark's right: if you're not happy with it then choose something else. If you really want it that badly mow a lawn a day or something. If you really want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it work. For me I'm happy with the extra money and time and don't really miss the Pyramid episodes that I've seen several times already.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »
(assuming there's no promotional rates

As long as we're being completely straight here, and this was told to me by a Comcast employee when I was signing up for service: if you are EVER on a non-promotional rate with Comcast, you're doing it wrong.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
You mean to tell me I could pay even less than $92 a month for my services?
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Fedya, I don't really agree with that comparison, and I'll tell you why:

At least with TCM, nearly all the movies they show there have been released on a home video format, and can be bought anytime, anywhere. Even some of the films that haven't been released publicly yet will be available eventually.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
At least with TCM, nearly all the movies they show there have been released on a home video format, and can be bought anytime, anywhere. Even some of the films that haven't been released publicly yet will be available eventually.
So? If you want to watch the content you want to watch, you have to pay for it. Why is this so hard for you to get?
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »
Okay, okay, you win.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:10:28 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »