Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity 'Feuds' You Skip Over  (Read 8128 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Celebrity 'Feuds' You Skip Over
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
This was a poat that added nothing but he proved that he knew a TV character's name?

For the most part, yeah.

Now I'm wondering if she had a name when she was doing that bit on Carol Burnett back in the day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »
I thought the times Vicki Lawrence played Thelma Harper on Bergeron's Hollywood Squares (were there other shows she did that on?) were amusing, although simply calling her "Mama" felt a bit out-of-place.

As for Password Plus, I thought the in-character weeks felt a bit awkward. (Thumbs up for creativity and to whoever came up with the idea, though.)

Ok folks, tell me if I'm getting the Benfield game rules...

This was a poat that added nothing but he proved that he knew a TV character's name?

His post was on topic and did add something. Nothing that was mindblowing but I get his point. That said, by my count only two characters in the entire series called her by her name (Fran and Iola) and the show wasn't called "Thelma's Family"...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
...Why what?
C'mon, Dan, have a think and use some common sense. I realize that you're a Member in Poor Standing unlikely to improve upon that status but you have to participate and use your noodle. If we infer that since I quoted a bit of your post and didn't add something the question wasn't "Why is the sky blue? or "Why does Luigi wear green all the time?" I asked you Why you thought what you thought? (Thunder's right, it appears that you posted just to share that you knew the character's name, and that isn't exactly a forgotten chestnut of television history.

They probably did it because that was funnier and because it might be that people watching the show remember the character by her nickname and not by her given name.

I'm sure you're just going to explain this away with some handwaving nonsense but it would be nice if you owned it and then made an effort to improve yourself.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
...Why what? If you're referring to
although simply calling her "Mama" felt a bit out-of-place.
I said that because the character does have an actual name, but to my knowledge was almost never (if not outright never) used for her appearances post-Mama's Family. I have no idea why that is (could be legal issues, or perhaps just the sake of familiarity given the show's title), but it always felt odd to me that she was just called "Mama".
At the time, Vicki Lawrence was doing a Vegas show as... (wait for it) ...Mama. Yes, the character's name was Thelma Harper, but I'm pretty sure Mama was way more recognizable to viewers, especially since Vicki starred in a show called... (wait for it) ...Mama's Family.

Apparently, she still does the show, most recently back in January. By the way, the page also says "Vicki created her most endearing character to date, Thelma Harper, or "Mama" as she is better known to her fans."

So there's your rhyme and reason.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
That sounds like a dreadful Vegas show where the tickets sell for $0.72

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »
Cliff Arquette was always billed under his character's name on Marshall Squares. 
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Thunder

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
I'll have to ask Mr. Lemon if I've got the scoring system down pat.

That has to be a 9 out of 10 because it's bound to snare some responses, right?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
That has to be a 9 out of 10 because it's bound to snare some responses, right?

I wouldn't go that high myself, because it was really just kinda nonsensical, but I allow that it's a completely malleable scoring system. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
It always bothered me when Gordon Shumway was called ALF whenever he appeared on The Hollywood Squares.  He has a name, and it just seems weird to me that they wouldn't use it.

/Doin' it right?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:14 PM »
That sounds like a dreadful Vegas show where the tickets sell for $0.72

Well, you're more than welcome to perform yourself if you can do better.

Just saying.

Apparently, from what I read, the show isn't currently being performed at least until May.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Thunder

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 11:43:25 PM »
I've done some good performances in Vegas.

/Yes, they stayed there.
//Happily married now.

whewfan

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 05:41:57 AM »
The one that simply made me uncomfortable was the Al Roker-hosted version that had Ed McMahon's family. I saw it on that holiday FF marathon and it was just painful to see Ed McMahon barely able to move around.

The faceoffs with McMahon were just cringe-worthy.

If I am not mistaken, that might've been Ed Mc.Mahon's last appearance on TV... I think the commercial where he raps was also made around the same time.