Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows That Aired on New Year's Day  (Read 9492 times)

gameshowguy2000

Game Shows That Aired on New Year's Day
« on: January 01, 2004, 01:10:11 AM »
OK, now that 2004 has started, I'd like to talk about those game shows that aired on January 1!

1. $ale Of The Century
2. Classic Concentration
3. Pyramid
4. Family Feud
5. Hollywood Squares
6. Jeopardy!
7. Wheel Of Fortune

Anyone else have any shows to contribute to the list?

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 05:33:33 AM »
I think just about EVERY game show AIRED on January 1st.
A better way to put it... what game shows had notable New Year "celebrations"

One obvious answer was Match Game 7x. MG's New Years were always very festive, with confetti and balloons. Charles also helped in displaying the new year in a unique fastion. (notably 77, when a buzzard type bird laid an egg that said "Match Game 77)
Match Game 90 had a black tie and suit affair with a blue neon sign saying "Happy New Year"

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 07:56:29 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 05:33 AM\'] I think just about EVERY game show AIRED on January 1st.

One obvious answer was Match Game 7x. MG's New Years were always very festive, with confetti and balloons. Charles also helped in displaying the new year in a unique fastion. (notably 77, when a buzzard type bird laid an egg that said "Match Game 77)
Match Game 90 had a black tie and suit affair with a blue neon sign saying "Happy New Year" [/quote]
 Didn't MG7x usually do the New Year's spiel on NY Eve, since CBS normally airs football bowl games on NY Day(or January 2nd if NY day is on a SUnday).

Some ABC game shows in the 70s and 80s did reportedly air on NY Day, as did $otC and Classic Concentration on NBC on a few occasions.

ChuckNet

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2004, 11:33:11 AM »

On the daytime Combs FF in 1989, they had a New Year's show, w/blue and gold balloons on the set, Ray in a tux, and I think they played Auld Lang Syne at the end.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 12:29:57 PM »
As did MG 90. I saw the episode when it aired on GSN, and Auld Lang Syne played at the end.

But, of course, from the late 20th century to now, all the networks have pre-empted daytime game shows for Rose Parade coverage.

And I thought that ALL network daytime game shows got pre-empted for the Rose Parade. I wonder why that didn't happen then!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 01:00:58 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 01:31:35 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:29 AM\'] As did MG 90. I saw the episode when it aired on GSN, and Auld Lang Syne played at the end.

But, of course, from the late 20th century to now, all the networks have pre-empted daytime game shows for Rose Parade coverage.

And I thought that ALL network daytime game shows got pre-empted for the Rose Parade. I wonder why that didn't happen then! [/quote]
 As noted before, ABC never bothered with the Rose Parade until they actually got the rights to carry the game (and their parade coverage is under the auspices of ABC Sports--judging from their credits the golf production team headed the parade coverage this year).  I never really understood why CBS had bothered to carry the Rose Parade for all these years, but seeing as how they also carry portions of the Macy's Parade (long an NBC staple as well) I guess their coverage is justified.

But with the 11AM (or in some years, 11:30) ET start time for the Rose Parade, there was a window for NBC or CBS to carry their normal shows beforehand if they so desired.  Usually CBS would air the Cotton Bowl Parade before the Rose Parade (obviously in the days when they had the rights to the game), but with NBC it was hit or miss.  Sometimes they'd do the Fiesta Bowl Parade; sometimes they'd air their normal game shows, while other times you might see a variety special or something.  GSN has aired on numerous occasions a Perry CS episode that originally aired 1/1/79 (doesn't feel like 25 years ago--does it?), with Jim chiding G2T2 (decked out in full ice bag) for making a fool of itself over a microwave oven (Mother McKenzie was in stitches).

Of course, I'll never have the pleasure of seeing the Indiana marching band playing at the Rose Parade.  :)

Doug -- Happy New Year!
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 01:39:15 PM »
G2T2 with an ice bag on his head? What a way to start 1979! What was with the ice bag, anyway?

Anyway, I was hoping that there would've been balloons, confetti and Auld Lang Syne on the show, but I guess that didn't happen!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 01:58:39 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 12:39 PM\'] G2T2 with an ice bag on his head? What a way to start 1979! What was with the ice bag, anyway?

Anyway, I was hoping that there would've been balloons, confetti and Auld Lang Syne on the show, but I guess that didn't happen! [/quote]
To get a chuckle out of the contestants (and of course, the roar of the McKenzie).  There's a priceless reaction shot of challenger Phyl just before we see G2T2 with the ice bag on its head.

Following the audience reaction (with an extra close-up of the ice bag for good measure), Perry explains that he took G2T2 to a party "last night" (setting up the joke about G2T2 and the microwave oven).  From there, infer what you will.  A similar bit was repeated for the following year (but I don't recall whether CS actually aired 1/1/80 or not--I think it possibly did, since it was still scheduled at 10AM ET at that point).

At least the Xmas decorations were for the most part still up.

Doug -- Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 01:59:53 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 03:04:47 PM »
I'm getting a pretty good laugh about the ice bag on G2T2.

And the Xmas decorations were still up? Bizarre.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 12:33:22 AM »
Guys, I'm adding another show to the list: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? is officially being added.

Why did I choose to do that? Well, watching today's show, one of the questions was specifically about the Rose Bowl, and the guy had to Ask The Audience on that question! He got the question right, but Why, oh why did he have to Ask The Audience on that question?

Doesn't EVERYONE know that the Rose Bowl is played on January 1?

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 12:45:13 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 12:33 AM\'] Doesn't EVERYONE know that the Rose Bowl is played on January 1? [/quote]
 I didn't.

With the mass amount of (unnecessary) bowl games on TV nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if he needed a lifeline. I enjoy football, but I wouldn't have known the Rose Bowl question either. I don't have time to keep up with every single bowl game offered, because frankly, I find college football on TV boring compared to the NFL...that is, except for when my school plays. ;-)

ObGameShow: Spencer Christian, Triple Threat host, Hampton, Class of 1970. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 01:24:42 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 10:33 PM\'] Doesn't EVERYONE know that the Rose Bowl is played on January 1? [/quote]
If you live on the West Coast (or AZ, the other Pac 10 state), or in one of the states that contain Big 10 schools, probably, since those are the two conferences that have contributed teams to that game for most of its existence. I would imagine your average North Carolinian, for example, could care less as to when the Rose Bowl is played, since before the BCS the chance of a regional team playing in that game was literally nil.

Add that to the fact that the Rose Bowl Game itself has been moved from the 1st on more than one occasion, and it's by no means an automatic answer.

(And then there's me...I'm a sports nut, and I know when the Rose Bowl happens because I grew up in CA (even though I didn't go to a Pac 10 school - Go Spartans!), but I despise college football, so I couldn't tell you with any certainty at all when the other bowl games take place.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 01:26:11 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 08:10:06 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 12:33 AM\'] Guys, I'm adding another show to the list: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? is officially being added.

Why did I choose to do that? Well, watching today's show, one of the questions was specifically about the Rose Bowl, and the guy had to Ask The Audience on that question! He got the question right, but Why, oh why did he have to Ask The Audience on that question?

Doesn't EVERYONE know that the Rose Bowl is played on January 1? [/quote]
 Syndie game shows will air on January 1st(if Jan. 1 isn't a Saturday or SUnday) somewhere in the country(some areas will see a preemption for sports or parades). Some of the syndie shows airing on NY Day are reruns, which Millionaire is in now.

Objeopardy: One of the earliest occurrences of all three players ending Final J! with no money occurred in APril 1985, when the players forgot that the 1984 Rose Bowl was played on Jan. It's played on the 2nd when NY Day falls on a Sunday, which it did in 1984.

aaron sica

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 09:00:01 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:10 AM\'] Objeopardy: One of the earliest occurrences of all three players ending Final J! with no money occurred in APril 1985, when the players forgot that the 1984 Rose Bowl was played on Jan. It's played on the 2nd when NY Day falls on a Sunday, which it did in 1984. [/quote]
 It's also played on a day other than the 1st or 2nd when it's the Rose Bowl's turn to host the national championship game (it and three other bowl games share the honor).

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 09:39:15 AM »
Back in the day (i.e. the 1970s), NBC and CBS alone carried the Rose Bowl Parade.  I want to say NBC carried either a pre-parade show at 10 a.m. Eastern or some other parade (they also carried the Orange Bowl Jamboree Parade when the network had the game rights, but the parade was always at night).  I think CBS might have had a short East Coast parade as well.

Parade coverage would run from 11 a.m. to 1 or 1:30 p.m., just like today.  CBS would then switch to the Cotton Bowl; NBC usually had the Rose Bowl game in the late afternoon, Orange Bowl game in the evening, and another (Fiesta Bowl, perhaps) in the early afternoon.

I know ABC didn't pick up parade coverage until at least 1990, the same year the game rights moved over to them.

O.B. Game Shows: I also recall at least one year (1991?) when all but one of the commercial New York stations had the Rose Bowl parade:  WCBS, WNBC, WABC, WNYW (Fox, co-hosted by Alex Trebek), and WPIX (KTLA's feed, co-hosted by Bob Eubanks).

Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, and New Year's Day are always rife with game show pre-emptions.