Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone Here Write This?  (Read 3451 times)

The Pyramids

Anyone Here Write This?
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
If no one did, I'm sure many will agree with it. This is from Matt Roush's 'Ask Matt' page today on TVGuide.com.

Question: At the end of February we lost a legendary game show host, Jim Lange. While he will always be known for fronting The Dating Game, I wish to comment on another game he once hosted, which only lasted during the summer of 1975 and has been ripped by a few die-hard game show fans on a particular forum, but which I feel got the short end of the stick and deserves to be rerun on GSN due to the original tapes having been discovered at CBS 2 in New York. It was a Nicholson-Muir show called Spin-Off and was a draw poker-type game played with two married couples who, by the way, weren't humiliated on the air with embarrassing questions. The idea was to make a Yahtzee-type hand in three tries with the numbers 1 through 6. The winning couple got to move on to the Super Spin-Off where they to try and make a hand in three tries per number in order to win as much as $10,000 for a consecutive straight (6 5 4 3 2, 1 2 3 4 5, etc.). It may have had a flaw or two, but I only got to see it once during the CBS run (my local affiliate bumped it, as did far too many CBS stations), and judging from that one show I saw, I wanted to see the rest of the run — it was truly an exciting show. Isn't there some way these old tapes can be digitized and picked up by GSN for repeating?  I never get a response from them. This show deserves a revival despite its failure in the ratings in '75 due to competition and low clearances. In the meantime, YouTube has a complete show posted (audio only) and some promotional clips of the rounds; please go see them. — David

Matt Roush: Thanks for the memory, tribute and recommendation. I'm a game-show fan, but can't say I remember this at all, probably because that summer I was deep into high school marching band geekdom and probably (rare for me) not watching a lot of TV. Seems unlikely that a show with such a short shelf life would get this sort of replay, but if it does, I'd try to check it out.

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: Anyone Here Write This?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
I made it to "summer of 1975" and identified the author.  Now I'd like to pick #4 and hope for the $25 money card.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
How nice of Matt to handle that so well.

Well done there, ambassador to our internet family.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
Okay, what am I missing?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
Okay, what am I missing?
It's not you who's missing anything.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
It's not you who's missing anything.

Well, y'all seem to know who this guy is and I don't, so apparently I am.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
Neither do I. I don't know who this "David" guy is either.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
David Johnson...he's described his fondness for Spinoff on a few occasions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:53:13 PM by BrandonFG »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
I'm quite surprised you're stumped, Chris.

Think about the one person here who has ranted and raved about Spin-Off for ages and how it should be on GSN.  If you need further hints, go here or here.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
I'm quite surprised you're stumped, Chris.

No, I just didn't make the connection between the first name and the initial. Yes, it makes a lot more sense now. :)

/cut me some slack; I haz a cold