Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No Geoff Edwards tribute?  (Read 5552 times)

cmjb13

No Geoff Edwards tribute?
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
I guess no tribute because it wouldn't be worth the cost to get shows they don't have the rights to?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

Re: No Geoff Edwards tribute?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Most likely because the Jim Lange tribute did terribly. Damn shame though.

Tyshaun

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »
Certainly there's a much better reason than either of those.

One that involves people's awareness of Geoff. In the sense that he, even though an obviously capable and talented host, wasn't as familiar to the American viewing public as Jim Lange was.

Shame that is, and really no fault of his own.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:59:16 AM »
One that involves people's awareness of Geoff. In the sense that he, even though an obviously capable and talented host, wasn't as familiar to the American viewing public as Jim Lange was.

Those were my thoughts too....I have a very hard time thinking of any show (aside from "Jackpot") that he hosted, that lasted for any extended period of time and/or had a wide viewing area. Along those same lines I can't help thinking what would have happened had he hosted the Feud...

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:17:42 AM »
Those were my thoughts too....I have a very hard time thinking of any show (aside from "Jackpot") that he hosted, that lasted for any extended period of time and/or had a wide viewing area. Along those same lines I can't help thinking what would have happened had he hosted the Feud...
True..... his longest running shows were The Big Spin and The New Chain Reaction, and both had limited viewership. You could argue his most well remembered national show was Starcade.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:28:55 AM »
There was his 70s version of Treasure Hunt, which ran for four years. Granted it's been off the air for close to 40 years, so I'm afraid that's not exactly fresh in people's minds either.

Geoff would definitely fall into the underrated category, and probably not very well remembered outside of our little forum...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Johnissoevil

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:25:14 PM »
I remember on Facebook GSN posting a small tribute to Geoff, and someone asked them if they'd do a tribute on the network itself.  They replied, asking what we'd like to see.  Still though...outside of our small circle of game show geeks, Geoff is best remembered as a radio personality, not as a game show host.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »

Feud would have definitely made Geoff popular. He would've become part of the G-T family, like Cullen Rayburn, Ludden, Dawson and others. He probably would have done other G-T shows to promote Feud.

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »
And, who knows, if Geoff had hosted Family Feud, perhaps David Letterman would have hosted Shoot For The Stars, while wearing a leisure suit.

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
What the above posts said.  Lange, and more importantly, The Dating Game, are iconic in our culture. 

Geoff was a good, nay, great hand...but more of a hero to our community.  The old GSN would have likely done something, but the GSN trying to appeal to everyone?  Not so much. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

Feud would have definitely made Geoff popular. He would've become part of the G-T family, like Cullen Rayburn, Ludden, Dawson and others. He probably would have done other G-T shows to promote Feud.

That's assuming the audience takes to him if he's hired. And as underrated a host as Geoff was, I can't imagine that Feud would've been on the air as long as it was with him leading the proceedings. Dawson had the familiarity factor going and I feel he fit the show better than Geoff would've.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 04:27:43 AM »
I can't help thinking what would have happened had he hosted the Feud...

Yes, yes. Geoff almost hosted FF, Jack Narz almost hosted FF, etc. Richard "Ha! Ha! You lost $5000 because you didn't call on me for the Super Match" Dawson lobbied tooth and nail for that FF job so the other two and anybody else who claims they were almost the host didn't really have a chance.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »
What I found strange in 1976 was that a show that was pure Americana (Family feuds, needlepoint stitched logo, hillbilly music, etc) would be hosted by someone from across the pond.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
What I found strange in 1976 was that a show that was pure Americana (Family feuds, needlepoint stitched logo, hillbilly music, etc) would be hosted by someone from across the pond.

8/10. You'll get a few bites, despite recycling tired material.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe