Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fox goes "Boom!"  (Read 8089 times)

weaklink75

Fox goes "Boom!"
« on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
Weirdest part of the press release: “It’s as if Jack Bauer made brain love with Jeff Foxworthy.”

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/fox-orders-game-show-boom-based-on-israeli-format-from-keshet-dcp/

Brig Bother

Re: Fox goes "Boom!"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:46:23 PM »
For a show based around ticking timebombs, the Isreali show is a bit dull.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »
So they're remaking Greed and to heighten the tension now there's incendiary devices. How about that.
Travis L. Eberle

M622

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Plus it I'll have play along too I think...

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
Is there any video of the Israeli version anywhere?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

colonial

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
Is there any video of the Israeli version anywhere?

Keshet Broadcasting (which is responsible for Boom!) has the premiere episode streamed on one of its websites.  The show is in Hebrew, but the format can easily be followed ...

http://www.mako.co.il/mako-vod-keshet/boom-s1/VOD-95255a632881541006.htm?sCh=3d385dd2dd5d4110&pId=1825219677

Another article in The Times of Israel suggests that some of the questions have a bit of a Million Pound Drop feel, as they are on very current events.  One question had to do with the Malaysian Airlines tragedy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:44:11 AM by colonial »

Thunder

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »
Let's be real. In today's politically correct world, there's no chance in hell of this making to air.

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
Let's be real. In today's politically correct world, there's no chance in hell of this making to air.
I'll take that bet. This already airs in Israel, after years of the land dealing w suicide bombs?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Unrealtor

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »

Because, as we all know, Israel has absolutely no history of bombings, unlike the US.

Seriously, though, if it flies there....
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Thunder

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Israel also has a culture where having a rifle slung over your back while walking down the street isn't discouraged one bit.

Israel also doesn't have a bunch of whiny touchy-feely action groups that would immediately utter howls of "insensitivity".

I'll stick with no chance in hell and you are free to mock me if I am wrong.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
I don't think it's mockworthy but I think the premise could be massaged (two different versions of The Mole have that a time bomb challenge) to fit the needs/desires of whoever picks it up. I wish that your second point wasn't such a big deal, but here we are.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
As much as I want to point to prior examples (Debt had the "Debtonator", Think Fast had a "Time Bomb"), I gotta remind myself that was at least 16 and 24 years ago, respectively. The former wasn't that big of a deal, and the PC movement was still a few years off with the latter.

Honestly, gimmicks and all, I'd prolly at least watch the premiere. I wanna say it shouldn't be a big deal, but it's going to absolutely be a big deal because of the era we live in. I'm more interested to see how the "explosions" look.

/Boom! is a Michael Bay Production
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:33 PM »
Honestly, gimmicks and all, I'd prolly at least watch the premiere. I wanna say it shouldn't be a big deal, but it's going to absolutely be a big deal because of the era we live in.
I feel like it's a big deal because it's Fox and not the network that aired a game called Russian Roulette for two years excluding reruns.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
Honestly, gimmicks and all, I'd prolly at least watch the premiere. I wanna say it shouldn't be a big deal, but it's going to absolutely be a big deal because of the era we live in.
I feel like it's a big deal because it's Fox and not the network that aired a game called Russian Roulette for two years excluding reruns.
I knew there was a show post-2001 that had a very interesting, potentially controversial title, but couldn't place it. That was it....thanks!

One night in the summer of '02, I showed it to my friend, who was very surprised that a show with that name made it to air. When he mentioned it, I was a little surprised myself...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 11:54:36 PM »
What's interesting about that is I understood the metaphor/allegory of standing on the barrels of the revolver, chuckled at the premise and people dropping out of the game and went about my way without a second thought.
Travis L. Eberle