Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Sets  (Read 6512 times)

Track Man 876

Game Show Sets
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:56:04 AM »
Ever notice that some game shows have a similar set during their run, but there are changes in the color of the sets?  How many times did they change the color of the sets for the following shows, and what seasons did they change them?

$ale of the Century
Scrabble
Love Connection

TheInquisitiveOne

Game Show Sets
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 03:33:42 AM »
Ever notice that some game shows have a similar set during their run, but there are changes in the color of the sets? How many times did they change the color of the sets for the following shows, and what seasons did they change them?

$ale of the Century
Scrabble
Love Connection

Let's see, shall we?

For $ale, the only evident change that I can see is that the set changed from beige to gold in 1984, at around the same time the Shopping Round was replaced with the Winner's Board in the NBC version of the show. Also, the arches that can be seen by the big doors were removed.

For Scrabble, I really did not see a set change. I just have the illusion that the set shrunk, since the audience can clearly be seen in the opening shots of the show after 1986 (possibly around the time the "$20,000 for every five Sprints" rule was replaced with the end of the show Bonus Sprint).

I can't help you with Love Connection, since I have not watched the show a lot. Sorry.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

zachhoran

Game Show Sets
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 07:55:56 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 03:33 AM\']

I can't help you with Love Connection, since I have not watched the show a lot. Sorry.

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
 My recollections are that the set stayed the same for most of the 1983-94 original LC run. THe 1998-99 run had a set a bit like the original IIRC.

calliaume

Game Show Sets
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 09:32:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Track Man 876\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:56 AM\'] Ever notice that some game shows have a similar set during their run, but there are changes in the color of the sets?  How many times did they change the color of the sets for the following shows, and what seasons did they change them?

$ale of the Century
Scrabble
Love Connection [/quote]
 Others:

The '70s Pyramid changed color from orange to blue over the course of the ABC run.

TPIR, of course.

zachhoran

Game Show Sets
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 09:51:10 AM »
USA Chain Reaction's set saw a change in the colors of the backdrop behind the contestants and Geoff a couple of times.

Clay Zambo

Game Show Sets
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »
Geoff changed color?  Certainly, the guy coming back from vacation with a tan can't count...

:)
czambo@mac.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Game Show Sets
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 12:08:31 PM »
I thought "Scrabble" stayed the same throughout the NBC run. But, all the clips and pictures I've seen of early "Love Connection" had more basic, bold colors on the hearts and couch. Later, they became more pastel.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MitchJoseph2004

Game Show Sets
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 12:11:20 PM »
Don't forget the ever so popular Match Game 98. The set completely changed in the middle of the run. Went from a blue, yellow type scheme (which I liked better) to that purple, pink, with weird squggle lines and junk one for some reason right in the middle of the season. Does anyone h ave an explanation as to why it happened though?

BrandonFG

Game Show Sets
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 07:55 AM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 03:33 AM\']

The Inquisitive One [/quote]
My recollections are that the set stayed the same for most of the 1983-94 original LC run. THe 1998-99 run had a set a bit like the original IIRC. [/quote]
The set layout was about the only thing similar, but from what I remember, the actual color scheme was much different. The backdrop was a blue-green type color, and the couch wasn't built into the little stairway like in the original run. Someone else can help on this one: did they still have 3 small screens (beside the big screen) that displayed the 3 choices?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:23:58 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

Game Show Sets
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 02:21:19 PM »
[quote name=\'MitchJoseph2004\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 12:11 PM\']Don't forget the ever so popular Match Game 98. The set completely changed in the middle of the run. Went from a blue, yellow type scheme (which I liked better) to that purple, pink, with weird squggle lines and junk one for some reason right in the middle of the season. Does anyone h ave an explanation as to why it happened though?[/quote]
At the time, it was believed that the powers that be wanted a little more color in the set.  Not that it actually changed anything, but I remember that there were some on a.t.g-s who felt the set was a little too--austere?  (After the complaints about the Bill Clinton questions and Judy Tenuta subsided, of course.)

Card Shark

Game Show Sets
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 02:36:09 PM »
[quote name=\'MitchJoseph2004\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 12:11 PM\'] Don't forget the ever so popular Match Game 98. The set completely changed in the middle of the run. Went from a blue, yellow type scheme (which I liked better) to that purple, pink, with weird squggle lines and junk one for some reason right in the middle of the season. Does anyone h ave an explanation as to why it happened though? [/quote]
 It was probably to bring in more ratings. That would be an educated guess. Too bad it didn't work.
Adam Strom

GS Warehouse

Game Show Sets
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 02:37:32 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:21 PM\'] ...I remember that there were some on a.t.g-s who felt the set was a little too--austere? ... [/quote]
 [looks up "austere" on m-w.com]  From the descriptions I've read over the years, "giving no scope of pleasure" seems to be what you're getting at.  "Severe" doesn't sound like a word I'd use to describe any kind of game show set.

BTW, I don't think there was a big screen on LC--it's just a LC logo sign with images superimposed over it.  Of course, I'm just going by the '91-92 season on GSN.

PeterMarshallFan

Game Show Sets
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 04:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:08 PM\'] I thought "Scrabble" stayed the same throughout the NBC run. But, all the clips and pictures I've seen of early "Love Connection" had more basic, bold colors on the hearts and couch. Later, they became more pastel.

-Jason [/quote]
 OK, here's one for the peanut gallery.

I keep remembering a yellow-ish LC set for some reason. If I had to put a date on it I'd say late Woolery-era [1993-94] Am I imagining it or was there really such a set?

Adam Nedeff

Game Show Sets
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 08:01:21 PM »
Very late in "Blockbusters" run, the set went from a bright yellow backdrop to (in my estimation) a much cooler-looking blue backdrop. That's all I can think of for this topic, oddly.

zachhoran

Game Show Sets
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 08:05:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:01 PM\'] Very late in "Blockbusters" run, the set went from a bright yellow backdrop to (in my estimation) a much cooler-looking blue backdrop. That's all I can think of for this topic, oddly. [/quote]
 With the advent of the 1991-96 set, the blue background for the first round turned to red for Double J!.