Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raiding Dawson's Closet  (Read 4094 times)

ITSBRY

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« on: January 01, 2004, 11:14:14 PM »
Ran across this unusual item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

Would a 44 suit and size 10 shoes, best fit Dawson or Combs?  I'd guess Dawson, but I'm not sure.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Robair

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:14 PM\'] Ran across this unusual item:

Would a 44 suit and size 10 shoes, best fit Dawson or Combs?  I'd guess Dawson, but I'm not sure.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 If Ray Combs were a size 10, then he was basicaly hosting the Feud for a race of amazon women, if the fact that he could fit into may of their shoes is any indication. There aren't a heckuva lot of gals out there with tens. So we can rule him out.
--Robair

BrandonFG

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 11:45:07 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:14 PM\'] Ran across this unusual item:

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com [/quote]
 I'm a 44 suit myself, but Richard looked a little hefty, even during the 70s run (I know he ballooned by 94, mainly due to heavy smoking), so I don't think it's his. I'd say probably nothing less than a 46 or 48 for him. Then again the seller is making a guess here.

Besides, I never saw Dawson in a suit without a vest (tuxedo doesn't count), so I'd rule him out. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TV Favorites

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 01:29:30 AM »
Dawson did wear suits without vests often during the early run of Feud.  As the show went on, he wore more vests.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 01:30:51 AM by TV Favorites »

zachhoran

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 08:06:15 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:45 PM\']
I'm a 44 suit myself, but Richard looked a little hefty, even during the 70s run (I know he ballooned by 94, mainly due to heavy smoking), so I don't think it's his. I'd say probably nothing less than a 46 or 48 for him. Then again the seller is making a guess here.
 [/quote]
 He quit smoking in the year or so before his 1994 Feud run began(his then four year old daughter Shannon was instrumental in getting him to quit), and he explained that on air for his gaining of weight. Though he did get a little heavier in the few years after leaving MG7x as well.

BrandonFG

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 01:57:20 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 08:06 AM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 11:45 PM\']
 [/quote]
He quit smoking in the year or so before his 1994 Feud run began(his then four year old daughter Shannon was instrumental in getting him to quit), and he explained that on air for his gaining of weight. Though he did get a little heavier in the few years after leaving MG7x as well. [/quote]
 Yes, I know that, and I remember the story he gave and everything. I was simply saying that his smoking over the years led to his weight gain.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Card Shark

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2004, 02:37:33 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:29 AM\'] Dawson did wear suits without vests often during the early run of Feud.  As the show went on, he wore more vests. [/quote]
 More vests? He wore a three piece suit practically every show. Lately, I've noticed that they are slowly coming back in to style.
Adam Strom

TV Favorites

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2004, 04:14:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:29 AM\'] Dawson did wear suits without vests often during the early run of Feud.  As the show went on, he wore more vests. [/quote]
More vests? He wore a three piece suit practically every show. Lately, I've noticed that they are slowly coming back in to style. [/quote]
 You are correct, he DID wear a suit with vest practically every show.  I was just pointing out that he didn't ALWAYS wear one.  As Feud went on, he more frequently wore three piece suits, but in the earlier days (probably up to about 1981 or 1982) he wore just 2 pieces with the jacket buttoned.

In my original post, I guess I should have said he wore vests more often as opposed to he wore more vests.  I imagine he just wore one at a time ;-)

Card Shark

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2004, 04:35:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 04:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 02:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 01:29 AM\'] Dawson did wear suits without vests often during the early run of Feud.  As the show went on, he wore more vests. [/quote]
More vests? He wore a three piece suit practically every show. Lately, I've noticed that they are slowly coming back in to style. [/quote]
You are correct, he DID wear a suit with vest practically every show.  I was just pointing out that he didn't ALWAYS wear one.  As Feud went on, he more frequently wore three piece suits, but in the earlier days (probably up to about 1981 or 1982) he wore just 2 pieces with the jacket buttoned.

In my original post, I guess I should have said he wore vests more often as opposed to he wore more vests.  I imagine he just wore one at a time ;-) [/quote]
 It's an interesting point you brought up. I was watching the 5:00 p.m. airing the other day and in the early days, he didn't wear the 3 piece suits as often as he did until the early 80's. My memory is a bit cloudy. Was that style of dress really that popular in the 80's?
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' date=\'Jan 2 2004, 04:35 PM\'] It's an interesting point you brought up. I was watching the 5:00 p.m. airing the other day and in the early days, he didn't wear the 3 piece suits as often as he did until the early 80's. My memory is a bit cloudy. Was that style of dress really that popular in the 80's? [/quote]
 From various shows I've seen from the era, vests were still in style in the early-80s, but didn't seem to be as popular as they were in the 70s. It looks like they died out around 82 or 83...other than Dawson, I think the latest game show host I saw wearing a three-piece-suit was Jim Perry on $ale. Interestingly enough, Dawson still wore them frequently until the final episode in 1985. :-P

But what do I know...why don't we get an opinion from one of the "older" posters. :-)

ChuckNet

Raiding Dawson's Closet
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 09:58:24 PM »
It seemed to be mostly a late 70s/early 80s thing...I also recall Barker, Jim Peck, and Ron Ely wearing 3-piece suits on their shows during that time period.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")