Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR '72 question  (Read 2522 times)

Card Shark

TPIR '72 question
« on: January 02, 2004, 11:15:55 PM »
I decided to give the above title so people didn't think it would be the post du jour about what will happen when Bob Barker dies. This question actually relates to the early years of TPIR. I have the premiere episode and a few other early ones on tape. I noticed that at the beginning of the show, once the contestants come on down and they get ready to bid, the lights in the studio are dimmed. This takes place during each bid. How long did this go on for? When did the audience have more of a role in the program?
Adam Strom

Argo

TPIR '72 question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 10:32:12 AM »
Its a bit related, but during the late 70s, early 80s, especially with the set they had before 83 and the padded walls, which i lovedd...., they used to use various lighting about the stage. When they were playing games at the "big price tag" all the rest of the stage would be darkish, and it be much brighter at the game. I just thought it was rather cool. ;)

ALso, something about the lighting for the mid 80s too, it seemed much more brighter than it does now, either that or a different kind of bright.

Mark

Ian Wallis

TPIR '72 question
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 12:54:08 PM »
I noticed that too about the lights being dimmed.  Back in '72, it wasn't common to show audiences on game shows.  On "Price", there was no way around it.  I'm guessing that they dimmed the lights to draw more attention to the contestants bidding, rather than being distracted by the audience behind them as we sometimes are today.

I think it was by mid-'73 that they stopped this, but I could be wrong.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TV Favorites

TPIR '72 question
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 03:47:19 PM »
Didn't the lights generate a lot of extra heat also?  Maybe that was part of the reason they were turned down.

PeterMarshallFan

TPIR '72 question
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 04:35:54 PM »
My own backwards theory.....

The original TPIR72 set was designed by Don Roberts, who also designed the sets to TJW72 and Hollywood's Talking. Compare the three--they all have the similarity of an overdose of tan stucco and a lot of black in the backdrops. I say that the darkening of the audience was just to fufill the Roberts trademark.

Now I'll go to the TTD90 room.