Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terry Crews is the new WWTBAM host  (Read 7824 times)

pacdude

Terry Crews is the new WWTBAM host
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:30:47 PM »
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Terry-Crews-Named-New-Host-of-WHO-WANTS-TO-BE-A-MILLIONAIRE-20140507

"We are excited to announce that Terry Crews will be taking the reigns as our new host of 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' next season," said Janice Marinelli, president, Disney-ABC Domestic Television. "Terry is engaging, endearing, smart, and quick on his feet -- the perfect combination to lead one of the longest-running franchises in game show history."

And not a comedian, so maybe he'll treat the proceedings a bit less Cedric-y.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Terry Crews is the new WWTBAM host
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
There was a time some years ago where I would react differently to this news. These days nothing surprises me anymore.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
PR nitpick: could they have shoehorned more adjectives and credentials into that press release?

Even if the times have changed, I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an actor or comedian hosting a tough Q&A show, as opposed to someone who got their start in broadcasting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
Question for those among our fold who have been on since the change to the shuffle format: how much time is spent doing audio pick-ups and reshoots? Do the contestants have to be there for that? I'm thinking perhaps the broadcaster isn't as sought after anymore since you can just do a retake and overdub, and somehow an actor is more preferred. Millionaire hasn't been a "tough quiz" for years now; the focus seems to have shifted squarely to talking with the contestants, laughing it up, and every once in a while we get a glimpse of the impossible questions.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
how much time is spent doing audio pick-ups and reshoots? Do the contestants have to be there for that?
With Ms. Vieira, very little. We re-shot her reading of a question during a break that I don't even think was used and started a segment over again due to what I believe was a technical error.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
I had to do a little reshooting because we had a couple issues with Cedric trippimg over his words. Wasn't much though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

brianhenke

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
 Terry has the same b-day as I -July 30.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Terry has the same b-day as I -July 30.

Brian

But do you have pectorals that can dance or the ability to make the sun explode when you yell?

/seriously, I think it's cool when you discover a celeb has your birthday
//DOUBLE SUN POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an actor or comedian hosting a tough Q&A show
Personally, I think that's the idea- this is no longer supposed to be viewed as a tough quizzer. I thought the atmosphere and format change were the cues that they wanted to change how people looked at the show. The last two host selections solidified that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:08 PM »
I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an actor or comedian hosting a tough Q&A show
Personally, I think that's the idea- this is no longer supposed to be viewed as a tough quizzer. I thought the atmosphere and format change were the cues that they wanted to change how people looked at the show. The last two host selections solidified that.
I could definitely see that, and I won't pass judgment, given that the show still kept a lot of light humor, dating all the way back to Regis' era.

/Now I wonder if this is how folks felt when Trebek was named host of Jeopardy! :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
Look at this next question, now back to me, now look at this next question, now back to ME!

pacdude

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Look at this next question, now back to me, now look at this next question, now back to ME!

Wrong black Old Spice spokesperson. You're thinking of Isaiah Mustafa:

but this is Terry Crews:

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
Wrong guy, but I still got a good chuckle out of it.

PYLdude

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »
See, I'da gone with the one where his abs talk. But nice choice, Cory.

I wonder how the man your man could smell like would do as an emcee.

whewfan

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »
Well, I guess if a guy that caught small cereal boxes in a Kellogg's ad could host Hollywood Squares, a guy that can make instruments play with his muscles could host Millionaire.